Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

US still has the worst, most expensive health care of any high-income country

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I think we pretty much all knew. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    “You can have my Twinkie when you pry it from my cold dead hands!”

Do they still make them?

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Interesting, but not sure of the point. Do you advocate the banning of these products? The FDA stepping in with a heavy hand and regulating their ingredients?

Bloomberg and Michelle Obama were roundly criticized by your side of the isle for Nanny-statism for much less. Some (most at this stage?) republicans want to destroy agencies like the EPA and FDA that could even look at this at a top level. The chance of agencies “banning” these products in this country are nil. With the corruption of right wing politicians, we can barely hold back airborne carcinogens, forever chemicals, and machine guns. But hey, these “pro-lifers” will protect a jelly-bean fetus! Even if it kills a small % adult ladies to make Handmaids tale happen.

4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, and frozen twinkies are divine!

5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

They brought them back. .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

1. It's one of the reasons that I left the party.
    2. Speare me the partisan stuff....Obama was the one putting Monsanto leadership in high level FDA positions.

I supported Michelle's effort, though it should be mentioned that was garbage food too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    100% spot on!!!

Don’t tell me I’m fat because I eat crap all day and the only excessive I get is going back and forth to the fridge for more ice cream, give me a pill to fix me doc!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The myth persists that Americans are fat from eating too much or eating the wrong foods or are dying from being fat.

One thing I’ll miss from pan-panic: food fears.

9. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is no need to ban the snacks. All we need to do is:

1) Educate children about the consequences of binge-eating these sugar or salt/oil-filled products, as well as why they should eat more fruits and vegetables. Health education should start in the first grade. It's just as important as math, English, and science.

2) Prevent teachers/bus drivers/etc. from handing out candy and chips.

3) Require physical education activities every day in K-12 education. I'm not talking about badminton, marbles, and something called "Four-Square"; I'm talking medieval run-for-your-life sports: football, basketball, volleyball, running, etc.

4) Encourage parents to take some responsibility for their children's welfare and grow a spine when dealing with their kids' whining. Is it that much trouble to take the kids for a bike ride? If it is, take turns with a neighbor with kids, and alternate which adult takes them out each day. Walk through a park with the kids, take the dog for a walk, whatever it takes. Just don't let the television and video game console raise your children. If you do that, you're not a very good parent.

It's o.k. for kids to get a sugar-filled snack once in a blue moon. They certainly don't need one multiple times a day.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I have a young friend who was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma. She has Obamacare, but her initial consultation, for treatment, cost her $25,000 out of pocket which has already gobbled up half her GoFund Me account.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, that is above the out-of-pocket maximum for a family, so I doubt that is true without some other major piece of context.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary...tplace plans varies,,and $18,200 for a family.

12. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The already insured are strangling on healthcare costs.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm sorry, but that still wouldn't work. How would the consultation (which you said cost her $25K) take more than a year? If she is doing all of this outside of her insurance, then it really doesn't have anything to do with her insurance.

15. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The consultation took two hours. She’s been sick for over a year. She’s had Obamacare all along and she and her family are strangling and having to raise funds. And these are expenses on top of premiums.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Okay, then her out of pocket maximum for a year would be $18,200, not $25,000. If she has paid more than that for covered services, then she needs to check with her insurance as to why. Because that would be illegal.

17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Many Patients Can't Afford Health Costs Even With Insurance

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Doesn't address the issue I brought up at all. Yes, many people would struggle to pay their out-of-pocket maximum if they faced that issue. But the out-of-pocket maximum allowed for an ACA plan is still $18,200 (many are lower than this, but they can't be higher), not $25K. This covers all in-network care, including deductibles and co-pays.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    So hospitals and doctors are criminal for billing her in excess of her maximum ? I can actually buy that.

Much as Obamacare sucks - and it sucks bad for modest income earners - the healthcare system is even worse.

My friend who lost his wife watched chemo only hasten her demise. And now he’s left with a massive overhang.

I think Americans would be better off (at least not worse off) weaning themselves off healthcare.