Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

US pulling out of Open Skies Treaty

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, May 21, 2020.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I can't say that I know enough about this to comment on it. May be an insignficant step ... I don't know.;)

US says it's pulling out of Open Skies surveillance treaty

2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If it angers Russia then good, their pilots have been acting like morons for a few years now.
    Not happy with alienating our allies, but they also need to stop letting us find every freakin military expense for them. If they want it so bad, pay for yourselves and build the technology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    No idea if it is good or bad either. Though, having seen the imaging chips that commercial, let alone defense contractors develop for low orbital imaging, I cannot imagine that there is much benefit to this program anymore as far as the US is concerned. However, if the Trump administration wants to do it, it probably means that they have a stake in one of the private satellite companies some where. i doubt that there is any part of government policy that Trump and his Syndicate are not profiting off of directly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Other countries get more out of this than the US.

5. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It's kind of obsolete as satellite imagery is very good now. It was tied in with nuclear disarmament treaties which I think we pulled out of recently so that might be related. For example there is a Titan missile silo museum in Arizona that has a decommissioned missile in the launch bay. The requirement in one of the disarmament treaties was that they had to leave the launch door open and cut a hoke in the nose cone so the Russians could over fly the site and verify it wasn't active.

6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It was the START treaty

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't trust Russian pilots to fly over our land. So... good.