Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urbs wishes he had left UF differently

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Sep 6, 2021.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He definitely made some mistakes. He was in a weird space, no doubt. I think it's enough that he's welcomed back. He did more or less abandon us. But whatever happens happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    No idea

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ufmc84

ufmc84 GC Legend

Aug 13, 2017
    Saturday was his first time being back at The Swamp in 11 years. I can certainly understand him wanting to repair his legacy here but as has been pointed out, he made a mess of this place on his way out and threw a few daggers shortly thereafter. I’m sure there is plenty of regret there on his part. Bottom line, if he gets in that’s fine. But he should not be prioritized over Gators that didn’t sabotage or screw up the program the way he did.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Go NAVY! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    To the right of the ratings is the word 'List'. Click on that and it will show you who left the ratings.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. didipi3

didipi3 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    vero beach
    We were told by a poster early that Erbs would bring us down and wasnt what he seemed. Thanks Cop, I took heed,so I wasnt surprised.

7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

As I said, it wasn't his job to protect you. Your expectations are not his problem. They are your problem.

You might want to learn some life lessons about expectations. It's very wholesome to do that.

Oh, you do realize that football is a GAME? The man is supposed to spend his life living up to your absurd expectations, over a GAME? So you can trash talk FSU/UGA?Alabama fans and fell important? He owes you that?

8. Good response! You are right. He never really apologized. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Great post. Let’s honor the man and move on together. Anybody who wants to snub Urban Meyer should be prepared to honestly say they would trade in all 5 championships to erase the memory of Urban Meyer. Anybody else who wants to brag about the championships and deny Urban Meyer is a hypocrite of the highest degree

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. nobody

nobody Freshman

Sep 5, 2021

Well, that truly is a very BOLD STATEMENT, and disturbing. He was very blessed with over 80% talent in the program of his first NC title from the previous HC that was fired for losing control of his players also as this person did in prior to his departure. He did also added the remaining pieces in his first recruiting class.

I understand his position as the head of the program. He made very good choices in the surrounding cast of coaches, but coaches teach and aid each of the players to be prepared and position themself for success in each game played. It is the coaches to connect and relate to each player and develop their awareness to each of their true potential with guidance.

Fork Tongue wasn’t so great in the second year, but there was a lot of loss of the great talent that left. He is still the same genius of 2006, but now reality can humble the foolish. He was able to gain experience for the younger player and added additional pieces for the next year. That was the beginning of many issues still in the shadows.

Now the driving force for 2008 was the individual on the field and not the one at the head of the program. There was many that followed his lead and held each other accountable. There was a lot of good, but there was a lot of bad at the same time. The real disconnect between player was getting worst, but it was held together tightly by the leaders of the team. They won the second NC.

2009 WAS THE BEGINNING of Jerry Springer Show, it start with good intentions, but it failed short Atlanta. Now he was still the same Genius that had THOSE 5 TITLES you stated of. I guess he had a bad day, ooops, Nope, it wasn’t his fault. It was the players fault. I know things happen, and I was proud of the program.

2010 is when the light was turned on the program and the truth was exposed for the price of those titles and the real character of the Fork Tongue GENIUS that you are defending. You are easy to call other a hypocrite for not agreeing to your opinion of this GENIUS. It is sad that you resort to label others that their character is lacking any honor or lack any intelligence to understanding value of your words.

He checked out and then turned his back on the program, because he KNEW THAT HIS LOSS CONTROL of the players and realize it would be truly impossible to fix. He was unable to step up, so he did the next best thing, HE QUIT FOR HIS FAMILY AND HEALTH!!!!

Heck it took less then 12 months to heal his FAMILY AND HEATLH for HIS DREAM JOB. I guess I am the hypocrite you made the assessment in your response. I know first hand of 2 incidences by his own hands. My question for you is:

How did he leave the program on his departure? Not the way he received it.

Was the damage worth the price? Maybe it was, but what do I know being a hypocrite in your eyes.

He is just trying to repair his damaged image, trying to hope that he is believed by his empty words. He got paid for his job and took the claim for those titles, but refuses to step up for damage of it and for his actions. Heck, it is what it is and it is clear it is acceptable to many as yourself, that CHAMPIONSHIPS are worth more then character and honor. Winning at all cost and not disagreeing with the intellectual genius you are or YOU WILL LABEL THEM as you have in this post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The UF administration making terrible coaching hires post-Urban is what left us in the "wilderness"

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Exactly. Nothing gets me worse than someone not in a given position telling me what they’d have done if they were. U don’t know , I don’t know. Holding onto any angst about all that is truly an exercise in futility. Provided u don’t go 86’en folks like some of the former people do you’re always good in my book.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You lost me with your first of way too many paragraphs. If you choose to hang around here, which I hope you don’t, you should consider an effective writing class. For example, all of the above bloviating can be simply reduced down to something like ‘I don’t like Urban Meyer and don’t support inducting him into the ROH’. See how easy that is? People might actually read your shit.

Being a newbie here you also might want to consider taking yourself less seriously and acting less like an ass.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. nobody

nobody Freshman

Sep 5, 2021
    Ok, I try not to type to much. I will make it sweet and short. You like to judge others then talk. You are of the mind set of it is my way or no way and if you do not agree of my opinion your are an idiot. It is very clear that the intellectual Genius your are has little patience with others not like you. I guess I am just of the knuckle dragger status in your eyes and should go away. I like seeing others views, I might not like it, but it is the only way of the possibilities of maybe understand and learning a better way. I am not new here, but that is beside the issue to this. I learned in my time, that you can’t fix stupid, stupid is what stupid does.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Fail #2. Stop acting like an ass and I might read. You haven’t been around here long enough to earn the respect for people to wade through an insulting post.

16. nobody

nobody Freshman

Sep 5, 2021
    LOL, YOUR A GIFT THAT REFUSES TO STOP GIVING. Are you Fork Tongue himself? It is truly rich coming from you that I am insulting. Wow, but ok, I hope you feeling good of yourself on this beautiful start of this day of many blessings and leave your mark on others. Can I ask a question from such an impressive Intellectual genius of yourself. What is the number of FAILS is allowed before I am banned?

17. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yep, I think a lot of people lay the blame for the lost decade on Meyer, when it was really on the coaches who followed and those who hired them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This is a thread about Urban Meyer - you’ve gone off the rails trying to make it about me. Fail - we’re done

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. nobody

nobody Freshman

Sep 5, 2021
    Thank you for your time and the patience to teach me today. I learned something today, I am thankful for it. I wish good will and it is what it is. I just do not agree in destroying something that is good to just have championship. Championship are from dreams and desires that drives to achieve. Not cheat and take short cuts or disregard tradition. Many lose sight of that to obtain that title. It is just a hope that it wasn’t, but it is just disappointing that it is so easily over looked and accepted of to have those titles.

20. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The person most responsible for our lost decade is Jeremy Foley. I say responsible rather than blame because, though I was skeptical with both hires, both were very defensible decisions at the time. Both turned out to be enormous mistakes, but that's the judgment of hindsight and I don't think "blame" is the right way to describe the consequences as though they came from incompetence or malice.

The only caveat to that I have would be the choice to give Muschamp a fourth year after the historic disaster of his third and the underlying issues (poor offense, anger issues, roster management, S&C, injuries), that had been there from the beginning. It wasn't without justification (2012 had a great record, no one could win with so many injuries), but again, hindsight has clarified those weren't anomalies and he wasn't an innocent bystander but really who Muschamp is as a head coach.

And maybe the relatively quick hire of Mac when Mullen was having a banner year at MSU after rebuilding that program. Again, I'd say it was defensible at the time, but it did seem like there was an unspoken, potentially personal reason Foley didn't go hard after Mullen who had similar credentials to Mac but with a better track record as a head coach and a preexisting tie to UF.

That's life in the Big Boy Chair. Ultimately it is your responsibility to hire and retain the right person in the main revenue generating sport. No one can know the future and nobody is perfect, but good or bad, that buck stops at the top.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2