Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urbs wishes he had left UF differently

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Sep 6, 2021.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    The way you leave an organization is just as important as how your entered it. He left us in the wilderness that we have yet to fully emerge from...so meh.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Heart attack in his throat...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    huh

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He was burned out. The pressure to perform got to him, especially after losing a lot of close assistants. The divided locker room where “stars” were treated differently also didn’t help as there was quite a bit of resentment on the team. Foley was able to convince him to take a leave and stick it out for the sake of the team and the assistant coaches that were still there. This led to a disastrous 2010 and him quitting UF for good.

Here’s why some UF fans are still upset..
    From champs to chomped: How Urban Meyer broke Florida football

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Tressell had mired OSU in scandal. Getting rid of him had nothing to do with Urban.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    thanks for the link, explains a lot

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    I wish I did a few things differently to but it doesn't change the fact that I did them and they weren't exactly great. This statement doesn't really mean anything.

I'm not mad at the guy or upset or whatever. He's probably a good dude in his personal life and he's obviously a great coach. Doing something shitty has consequences though and that is just a part of life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. How much longer does Urban Meyer need to go on this apology tour before he gets into the Ring of Honor? Scott Stricklin seems to have been helping Meyer with that campaign by inviting him to Gator games since week 0 of 2019. Supposedly there is a decent amount of support from the big money alumni to make it happen, but Stricklin appears to be moving slowly on this in order to get buy-in from more investors (and maybe the fans). If Urban wishes he would have left differently, and if he has gone on this apology tour for a couple years now, what would it take to get him in the RoH? I think the board of trustees that manages the Ring of Honor should introduce new criteria to let in a couple more Gators, and use that as an opportunity to induct Urban Meyer. Rehashing an old post:

Urban Meyer is the only person remaining who qualifies for the Gator Ring of Honor without any changes. The following Ring of Honor criteria changes would qualify the following Gators. Names in parentheses could qualify at some point in the future.
    • Players with a Consensus All-American honor also named to the College Football Hall of Fame
      • Carlos Alvarez
      • Lomas Brown
    • Players with two 1st-team All-American honors also named to the College Football Hall of Fame
      • Wes Chandler
    • Players with two All-American honors also named to the College Football Hall of Fame
      • Dale Van Sickel
      • Wes Chandler
    • Players with two All-American honors also named to the University of Florida Hall of Fame
      • Dale Van Sickel
      • Wes Chandler
      • Jeff Zimmerman
      • Percy Harvin
      • (Jabar Gaffney)?
      • (Alex Brown)?
      • (Mike Pouncey)?
      • (Brandon Spikes)?
      • (Johnny Townsend)?
    Based on the above, I would only make minor changes to the Ring of Honor at most in order to get Carlos Alvarez, Lomas Brown, Dale Van Sickel, and Wes Chandler into the Ring of Honor as a way to get more support to induct Urban Meyer at the same time, or as part of a multi-year deal to add new inductees over the course of a few years. In the year that Urbs is inducted he can make a nice little speech and apologize for the last time (other than a future book).

• Like Like x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    There seems to be misunderstanding regarding the buckeye in the pocket. That has nothing to do with OSU. The buckeye tree is the state tree of Ohio. People from Ohio consider it good luck to carry a buckeye. People who support Ohio U, Miami U, U Cincinnati, U Toledo, U Dayton and people who don't care for any college at all might carry one for good luck. I have a friend who is a die-hard Penn State fan; he carries one.

It's a lot more convenient than a Floridian carrying an orange in his pocket for good luck. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Interesting. I'm sure your right. But, in this case , UM has said many times OSU is his dream school.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Not his job to protect you, bro. Life is full of change. Accept it, man up, and go forward.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Surely College Football HoF is worthy alone, no??

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Probably won’t happen while he’s actively coaching?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Why all the continued menstruation about the way he left. Get over it. I am more concerned with some of the hoodlums that were in our program than how he distastefully bowed out. I guarantee every one of you whiners swell with pride about three national titles every chance you get. Accept the good with the bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    True. But OSU was not the only school on the list. The list also included Notre Dame and, in the early days of his coaching, Michigan. Didn't Notre Dame come open the same year as UF? Even though ND was a dream job, he chose UF instead. After being in G'Ville, didn't he also put UF on the list of dream jobs? For some reason, people only want to remember OSU on the list and not the others.

Personally, I think too much is made out of "dream job." My daughter is not working in her dream job, yet she's pouring her heart into the job she has. The large corporation keeps promoting her up the ladder. At every promotion interview she tells them honestly that if her dream job came available, she'd leave in a heartbeat. They keep promoting her and she keeps producing for them. To me the ROH has to do with performance and contribution to the program. Two NCs and producing a Heisman winner is worthy of an entire career. He did it in a few short years.

Imagine if he had gone to ND instead of UF. Those trophies could be sitting in their trophy case instead of UF's. Shudder the thought ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    The ex-wife that gave you two kids that you cherish and couldn’t imagine your life without: natty2 and natty3

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    Which of you, If you had the choice, would wipe out those two National Championships in order to wipe out the memory of Urban Meyer? There's your answer.If you embrace those two Nattys you embrace the coaching job Urbs did here. He belongs in the ROH when he retires.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Give him a good caning and if he survives, he can get in the ring if he survives a second time.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Only in America, you get forgiveness for anything and everything..

20. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Good point. Maybe we can put him in the Ring of Alimony.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1