Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urban will be the man in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by wingtee, Jan 14, 2021.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Oh no doubt, if he just waltzed through here and didn’t win anything I’d be livid as other fans are. But those Meyer/Tebow years were some of the best years as a Gator fan of my life, filled with victory and jubilation. My heart is still full from remembering those years. I guess that’s why I’m not as hard as hard on him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You won’t like Skink when he’s mad . He’s at the bar right now and will tell him what u said Dead

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL

• Like Like x 1
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    No one likes a snitch. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That 2006-2008 run was amazing and worth frustration after the fact for sure. But I'd say as much as people here seem to love harping on the broken program quote, I think much of our lost decade was self inflicted and not directly Urban's fault. Though I never liked the Muschamp hire, I can admit that it was very defensible at the time. But we didn't have to keep him for year 4 and we didn't have to follow that up with McElwain. Frankly, we didn't need to fight to keep Urban after he retired the first time. At the time I was glad he changed his mind and that they tried to set him up to delegate more. But sometimes you have to receive the resignation or retirement and start the process of moving on. Not easy but better long term. So I'd like to hope a double championship for us doesn't necessitate a ten year drought. It just happened to go that way this last time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach

7. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Incredible post ...should be the end all be all on that situation I complete agree ...program wasn’t “broken” team was loaded with talent 2 consecutive crappy hires broke the program

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Not"will be" but "is the"!

9. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    He's mentioned Z Wilson and Fields as possibilities.

10. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    I'm reading terrifying pieces about the return of the Dazzler. C'mon Urbs, NOT aduncio.

11. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    "All warfare is based on deception."
    Sun Tzu

12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    By the way, our offense really was one of the lowest in the SEC with the Dazzinator calling it. I believe only Tenn and Vandy were below us in total offense. FWIW. I believe in reality several positions can be coached by a person with a lot of experience and football IQ but not necessarily experienced at that position. Didn't Nuss end up coaching TEs at the NFL level after failing as our OC? Did we or do we not have a RB coach that never played the position? So I guess Urban could bring a guy like Addazzler with him to the NFL and while he may not be the best available there will not likely be a huge detriment to the coaching staff and team output in general because of it.

13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I have this realization that, were I the AD at the time what would I do if Urban Meyer told me he's had enough and leaving. I know the program is going to fall apart or I might know it already has on some levels. I did not expect to need to replace a legend and nothing is harder to replace than a legend. So what would I have done? I don't know honestly.

14. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Earlier I asked if two NCs then followed by a decade of mediocrity are worth it. My answer was "yes, it's worth it" because of some 100+ teams it means you won almost 20% or one out of five titles for that period. But being a greedy fan I would prefer if we win one, followed by a few years of mediocrity, then win another, followed by half a decade of disappointment I think that's better for we fans.

15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Buckeye fans are a lot of things; rational is not one of them.

When they start losing, you will see.

16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    Only because they didn't have to go through a decade of twisting in the wind because their AD kept the train rolling even through the assistant wife beating controversy. It also didn't hurt that there were / are no serious contenders in the conference like Bama, UGAg and LSU.

17. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pretty sure he means the Gene Smith who's been the AD at Ohio State for the past dozen or so years, not the one who worked for the Jags.

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You probably want to check your memory. The Dazzler became our OC in 2009- with Mullen going to State after the 08 title game.

Our 09 offense was ranked 10th in the nation. We were actually 2nd in the SEC. One tenth of a point, per game, behind Arky.
    So no- we weren't close to last in the SEC when the Dazzler became OC. We were actually close to the best in the SEC.

If you mean 2010, it was not as good. But looking at those stats for 2010 I see the following SEC teams ranked below us...
    Mizzou, LSU, State, UT, Vandy. So we were mid-pack in the SEC in 10.
    Not good- and we had so many problems in 10. Meyer should have just left when he first resigned, but no one wanted it to end.
    I know I didn't.

i wasn't a fan of Addazio but frankly he was a scapegoat. And he was never in the bottom 3 of the SEC as OC.
    Actually he was at the top for 1 of his 2 years. Mid-pack the 2nd.

Here's a great website to check stats in the future.
    cfbstats.com - 2009 National Team Leaders

19. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Good site. I try to use NCAA Football Statistics but stats prior to 2011 aren't laid out as well. 2009 was better for Dazz and it's odd that we fell during his second year. Maybe it was personnel but 2008-2010 was a drop, but to be expected once the stars left.

ESPN shows our total and scoring offense to be at the bottom with only two teams below us in scoring and two in total offense. 2010 Southeastern Conference Team Total Offense Stats | ESPN
    It might not be fair to indict Addazio but it does appear to be true that by 2010 we were near the bottom. I shouldn't have singled out his penchant for dive plays. Hard to believe it got worse when Muschamp fell in love with 20 points a game.

20. mkfgator

mkfgator All American

Aug 28, 2019
    I think one plus of having Urban in Jacksonville is it gives UF more credibility and perhaps an advantage in recruiting. He coached 70 miles away at FL. His OC at the time he was at UF is the head coach at Fla. At least a recruit might think Mullen can easily pick up the phone and call UM or maybe a scout could take the 70 mile trip more often with Dan there given his relationship with Urban. Urban liked FL to begin with because he knew how talented FL recruits are , so UF would be a good place to scout anyway. And I know that a coach in Minnesota could just as easily look at film, have scouts in the area and get as much info as a guy an hour and a half away. But, an 18 year old kid will think like an 18 year old kid, which is different than most of us. That could be a tie breaker in a close recruiting battle . Who knows, but I don't think it hurts to have one of your best friends as the head coach of an NFL team a short drive away. Let's see if Coach Mullen can take advantage of this.