Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urban will be the man in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by wingtee, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    HUGE Risk/Reward. My thought is we either turn into AFC South bully OR Hindenburg it. I don't see much middle ground.

2. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    We shall see. Either way, it'll be Must See TV.

3. CadGator

CadGator Senior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I'm a bit skeptical, the NFL has a lot of pressure too and given his past I can't imagine this lasting a long time.
    Already saw on the ESPN bottom line he's mentioned he will "watch" his health.
    Set up his exit strategy already.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    "I talked to Gene (Smith)..." ?????
    NOT "Clean Gene, The Smartest Man In The Room, the ONLY GM who could make caldwell look like a freakin MENSA" Smith!
    Listen to his advice and do the EXACT opposite.
    6 other GM's got fired with Smith in 2012, they ALL got jobs. Smith didn't and is out of the League. 22-42 and helmed our worst season (2-14) until this year.

5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I’ve been thinking about this for a few days. Wanted to let it sink in some. I’ve come to a few possible conclusions beyond just the “he has to have the competition” shit they always label anyone that comes outta retirement with.

1- going off what a lot of u that are in the know from the past say about Shelly , I think coming back to the south or Florida (whatever) I think could have been a factor. The way some of u talk they seem to have made real relationships and comforts while here.

2- and this is the feeling I’m overcome with. When urbs won that title at osu he had pulled to within 1 of Saban, they sat 4-3 on titles. Since that title the asst coach cover up shit transpired ( coach beatshiswifealot or whatever his name is) Saban has hit another mini dynasty of 3 titles in 5 years or whatever it is and urbs has had to leave coaching again. I think that gap Saban has opened back up bugs the piss outta him. I also think that he fully realizes that if he wins a pro title that it would put him on a list of 1 (himself) as the only dude to ever win a pro title along with titles at 2 diff universities. I can’t escape the thought that he sees this as a path to getting back in the discussion of best ever. Make no mistake , if he does , he deserves to be in the discussion. It would be incredible. Who knows , just a thought

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Agree. I will always be grateful to both of them for giving me titles , piss on what some of u say. In the end maybe it’s a first love thing but I recall where I was and what I was doin when spurrier resigned much more than urbs

• Like Like x 1
  7. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    are the oh ho ho state fans in an uproar like Gator fans were when urbs came out of retirement to go coach the bucknuts

9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Probably not. I'm assuming they thanked him for his services and have since moved on, like a rational-minded fanbase would do.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks Wong. I appreciate your feedback.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    We should not forget the mess Meyer left for the rest of us. In our case we ended up with a final recruiting class that largely didn’t pan out and the Dazzler Dive offense. Ohio State was left with Ryan Day. Big difference.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    THIS. Our program was left in shambles and "broken" (his words!).

13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    No surprise.

14. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Damnit...but expected. He should be strongly considered for DC once Grantham is gone though.

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

No problem Dead, keep up the good work

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Damn man you know your football. The Dazzler Dive offense! .

17. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    It’s such a bad look on our part imo. Never made sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    We also shouldn’t forget the 2 championships he brought us. Most of any coach in school history. IMO those worthy accomplishments gives him a pass for the state he left the program in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    PM your homey Skank and commiserate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    That's an interesting debate but I think the two NCs win. If you could make the choice to get us two more NCs then suffer through ten(?) seasons of relative mediocrity or seasons absent SEC Championships would you? I'm thinking yes, probably. The down years are painful but it's still always great to be a Florida Gator.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1