Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urban on IG rooting for UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by BenTrillGriffin, Oct 31, 2019.

1. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    I recall it a little differently. He never ran us down, of course, was always classy. But he was a coach for the University of South Carolina and Florida was put in a closet for a while. When he was at USC, he was all-in Gamecock. Steve is a loyalty guy, if you listen to the stories about him over the years, with a LOOOOONG memory. If USC was paying him, he was going to be the biggest Gamecock around. He only wore garnet & black, wouldn't sign Gator stuff, and represented his employer with passion. Jeri was a little less "all-in" then Steve but she was true to him and kept her Gator-ness on the down-low.

One story:

My daughter was being recruited by USC. We were waiting in the athletic offices at the stadium. The HBC came out of an elevator and said "Hey, folks!" He then asked my daughter if she was being recruited, and for what, etc. etc. He stood there and SOLD USC to her like she was a key part of HIS class! She said something during the conversation, about being raised a Gator in Knoxville, TN. The HBC then, for the first time, engaged me and my wife, who had been standing to the side. I reminded him of some prior occasions when we had met, at Gator-related events and he said "Oh, yea." (Do your best SOS impersonation voice and imagine the most half-bored 'Whatever" tone possible.) Then went right back to selling USC to my daughter.

This is one of a few SOS stories I have and cherish. I was never happier than when things went right and he and Jeri got to return to the school, the program and the stadium he did so much for. There will never, ever, be another like him at the University of Florida. A genuine, once-in-a-lifetime man.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This... all day long. And some of the people here and in Gator nation need to get over it already.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 7
  3. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m gonna call BS on that one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. volungator

volungator Freshman

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I so wish I could disclose the source but I can't. I probably shouldn't share the information. I completely understand why anyone might believe it to be BS. It is what it is.

5. volungator

volungator Freshman

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    My daughter (at age 13 she's 36 now) wrote to SOS to express how much of fan her dad was. Our dog was named Spurrier. He sent a photo signed "To a great Gator in Tennessee." I need to dig up and post a photo of it.

6. mcogator

mcogator Junior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    You and I are one.

7. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    That cracks me up every time I see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    Don't leave us hanging? What sport? Did she get the USC offer? Did she accept? Did she go elsewhere?

9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s the Atlanta Gator Club Braves night hat we sent him he’s repping!

• Like Like x 2
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    At least 4 of Urban’s Utah and original Gator coaches are here at UF currently. He won 2 championships here to 1 at Ohio State. I think he still supports Bowling Green, Utah, UF and OSU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorlaxn

gatorlaxn GC Legend

Aug 28, 2014
    Atlanta Ga
    Free Urban Meyers!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Meyer has zero issues recruiting. Wasn’t his last class rated the greatest ever?

Even if he did want out, so what? He came in and gave us his best, and the best run in UF history.

Most high end execs generally still root for their old companies, especially when they still have friends there

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't think we should flatter ourselves as such. Urban shouldn't care whether or not he gets in the ring. Personally, I don't like him, but I don't think he's petty enough to give a rip about the ring. As another suggested, this is due to his allegiance to Dan Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    She was a dancer, like The Dazzlers at UF. She got the offer but it wasn’t much and the work required was more than she was willing to do. She graduated from Univ of Tenn and landed a job in her major (Economics) starting 5 days after graduation. That, my friend, is a #dadwin. And she’s still a Gator.

• Like Like x 3
  15. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    But that's a good thing.

- Jim McElwain

16. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not going to call into question whether a former teammate told you that. Nothing you’ve said hasn’t been told many times, some of it right and some wrong. For instance his health issues were/are real. He has a brain cyst (for a couple decades now that sometimes requires a medical procedure), has/had anxiety issues, and another issue supposedly that I won’t get into. Beyond that, everyone saw him running down physically to the point so many were questioning on this very site that Shelley Meyer herself came on and said Urban was fine. Of course, in hindsight, that was a PR move.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t know about that. Once you’ve made millions it’s your Legacy that becomes important. That being said, I’m one of those people that believe he has and will always hold UF in high regard. I don’t think his coming out and saying Go Gators has anything to do with Mullen though his presence at the Miami almost certainly was.

18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Urban helped Dan game plan for Michigan in last year’s Bowl game. Think they have a better relationship than you realize.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Agree here. If Mullen was not at FL, Meyer wouldn't give two spits about the Gators. I know folks don't want to believe that, but allegiances are about people more than places/things.

20. volungator

volungator Freshman

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    Your input is appreciated. On that note I'm going to bury the hatchet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1