Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Urban Meyer names his choice for best game day atmosphere

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sovietgator, Aug 21, 2019.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So don’t go to the ceremony or watch for that matter. Let the rest of us enjoy. Urban is more Florida Gators Football than anyone on this forum unless they suited up for the Orange and Blue.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    Maybe Florida should have the top 3 coaches of all time in huge letters on the stadium. Let the names change as time goes on.

3. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    Way less that 100 percent. Talk to the Bull Gators. Urb stole that year’s salary and left the program in shambles. But...I am not a hater. I appreciate what he did and agree that when he left he really believed he was ill. No way he knew OSU would open up. The facts don’t line up. I hope he comes back and Gator Nation welcomes him. He made us feared, gave us Timmy, Brandon, Percy and more and two nattys. Thank you, Urban.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    I think these criteria are ridiculous. It’s like a federal government bureaucrat came up with this list. Simply and allow more folks in. There are so many great Gators who will never get in under these criteria.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I saw that the other day, thought it was dope as shit. I hope the two sides begin to mend fences

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Was just thinking that too..would be 7 diff kinds of cool to see him on the sideline one day. Or in one of the boxes with sos in the very least

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    No shit...dude lost 1 game in a two year stretch and he damn near stroked out bec of it. Him having given us his all seems pretty accurate

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. justinwitt07

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Maybe I missed a meeting or something but from a view from 20,000 feet it seems that people have to spend more energy to attempt to make a logical argument to keep him out than put him in....I’m just sayin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am sure that this was a loud moment in Gainesville...

[​IMG]

10. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm OK with Urbs. I ran into him a couple times before basketball games, he was working his arse off recruiting. We don't know what was going on with him personally and health wise, and I wasn't happy about the way he left. But there's probably more to the story than most of us know. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and if he gets in the ROH, I'm cool with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I think there was a lot more going on behind the scenes in 2007-2008 that led to mass defections of coaches, an even worse breakdown in team discipline, and miscellaneous health issues for Urban Meyer. I think he is both sincere in his feelings about the Swamp and political about choosing the timing of these words. I also think that in 2008 if he had named Dan Mullen his successor, groomed him in 2009, and had him take over after the health issues in 2009/2010, that the Gator dynasty would have lasted quite a while and the Swamp would today be consistently ranked stop the list of for best football atmosphere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    There were rumblings from at least a few former players that believe Ohio state contacted Meyer well before tressel was let go because the dirt was piling up. I highly doubt there wasn't some communication well in advance before pulling the plug on tressel. I've never been one to believe any of the jilted lover theories that Meyer ran from Saban or that he faked everything but I do think he was conflicted when the opportunity arrived to coach ohio state. I resent the theatrics of it all from a man and coach who preached accountability as well as man down man up mantras. I dont hate him but I don't think he is that honorable a person.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    That's my guess, but I don't know for sure, I don't know them personally.

14. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kind of the point. It's the step up from UF HoF. Supposed to have impact, but not so much if you add 3 names year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    We don't get Tebow's Heisman Trophy without Meyer.

Spurrier was a hired gun that also left us hanging.

Mullen is a hired gun as well.

Most of the coaches in the P5 Top 10 are hired guns.

Maybe we should only hire dedicated true Gators like McDeathThreats and Muschump. Then we can have a Ring of Horrors. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    I think Mullen has reached out to Urban.

17. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    What makes you think that?

18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Mullen said he did last year in preparation for playing Michigan in our Bowl game. Urban provided a lot of helpful insight. Urban and Dan still have a good relationship and speak well of each other.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    ???
    [​IMG]

I wonder what the talk on here was like one year ago, when the Zach Smith story came to a head. As for SoS, he played football for Florida and happened to have a little bit of success there. No valid comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Valid comparison in the sense that Spurrier left for the Redskin job late in the process and left us scrambling to find a successor, rather than giving Foley a lot of time to find a replacement prior to NSD. Also valid in the sense that Spurrier could have had any college football coaching job he wanted, but chose to coach at South Carolina in the SEC East, where he would play UF every year. Would have been like Urban joining UGA or TN after departing UF for a year.

I do appreciate your point that Spurrier has some street cred for playing and winning a Heisman at UF. Also, established the foundation and reputation from which all future success and brand recognition came.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1