Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Upset Saturday!!!

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by Juggernautz, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    When was the last time the Top 6 teams plus the #9 team lost on the same day??

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Nembhard had a rough day

6-18 shooting
    0 assists
    2 turnovers.

4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    They should have picked up Glover in the portal instead ;).

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    We won though, so I think we should move to #1 :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    There is no truly dominant team this year. Should make the Tourney fun/interesting this year

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The Gators have a longer winning streak than 7 of the top 10 teams

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Thanks @gatordavisl

However (IMO), the bottom line: It makes no difference.

They'll seed whichever teams however they want. Period. They hide behind a mysterious committee. I've always suspected CBS had a big leather seat at the head of the table.

They'll use the same tired, worn-out nonsense arguments: #1 "Body of work" and #2 Specific games (especially last 10 games). When those don't work they turn to "tougher conference" games, or maybe something new that year.

If someone (like Duke) needs a higher seed to fall so they magically ascend again and basically get home court games to the Final Four, a single "bad upset late" will do it. However if it's, say, Duke, with the "bad upset late" the professional talking heads will assure us there's nothing to see and we should be looking under a different shell . . . err, um, "body of work."

I've watched their 3 Card Monty seeding since the 80s and used to shake my head until I figured out the real game was double-talk.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Agreed, and I made a similar point in another thread. People look at the numbers and formulas, but at the end of the day the selection committee uses that as a tool, not a hard rule. They will make subjective calls on what wins/losses mean, and what teams they want in the tournament at what seed for entertainment purposes. If two schools are close, the bigger name school will probably get the nod... or if there is a mid-major making a lot of buzz as a dark horse. Can't just look at KenPom or other statistical data to predict what will happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I watched the last few minutes of the Gonzaga loss to St Mary's. It was awesome!

You could just feel those fans about to storm the court!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Basketball tournament seeding, at any & all levels seem to always have some sort of bias/ stink built into how it’s done. Blue-Bloods seem to always be placed in favorable seeding/ Regional locations, or both. When you add in the influence of “ Suits”, TV rating and TV money, it only makes it worse. Truly fair seeding leaves the room at that point. That’s a part of what make those first weekend upsets so dramatic & fun.

Playing the game well and executing at the right time, has been, and I hope it continues to be, the great equalizer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Tourney bids and seeding are fun points of discussion. With a 68-team event, there will always be some apparent snubs. We should revisit this discussion on selection Sunday. I will be interested to hear your suggestions about how it played out. I can think of some times when the Gators were over-seeded (ok, maybe only one time really, which was the 2seed in Tampa, when we got crushed by Mich St) and some times when the Gators were under-seeded. I can't really think of any times the Gators were snubbed. Maybe once during the BillyD years?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    besides the national seeding there is also conference slotting that doesn't allow (in most cases) teams in the same league to meet until the elite 8. In particular, the SEC and Big 12 could have half of the National seeds, but the order matters.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Big Ten and the ACC will get more teams in and better seedings than either conference deserves. The SEC is WAY better than either conference this year. It is all about TV revenue.

It is as bad as the NBA and I no longer consider it as sport. It is all about the dollars. Just a shade over pro wrestling.

16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Issue is, this probably hurt us more than helped us by creating more big dance worthy teams.