Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Updates for 1/07/20

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 7, 2020.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wardrick Wilson is not enrolled for this semester. I don't know the definitive reason but am told he still wants to be a Gator and he and the staff will continue to work on it.

Shorter: as I said in another thread, he will take visits and most likely enroll somewhere in the summer. UF is still in good shape from what I'm told but other schools will continue to pursue him also.

Britt: when question, reaffirmed he will sign with UF and will apparently not take any other visits.

Manuel: has improved his scores and if they think he can make it in he will sign in Feb. If the grade are not there, he will not be allowed to sign an LOI.

OL: Look for one more OL to be added to this class. As WW is out of the equation for now, the slot may well go to a GT. Stewart Reese is always mentioned but UF is looking at others also. Pretty confident to say Janvier will not make it into this class. That said, he is not completely out of the equation.

Zack Evans: It is said he will not attend UGA. This could effect Gibbs and his flirtation with LSU. Parrish is still in the mix but the pressure for UF to sign a RB went down considerably with the LL transfer. I am hearing that many feel positive about a waiver fr LL; but with the NCAA you and I know its a crap shoot. UF still hoping for Gibbs to visit.

My opinion: UF has a pretty good idea about 2-3 of the remaining slot and trying to make the best decision on how to finish out the class. As much as the keyboard warriors complain about WR, the staff feels pretty good with the talent and potential at WR. They would love to get Van Pran for the last Ol, but I would put that at less than 50% as of now.

Numbers: I have been away some so as soon as I can I will crunch the numbers with all that has developed since the last thread on counters. The news on Shorter, WW and of course the commitment of the XMan changes some things.

As always, much of this is fluid.

Candy

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 19
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Thanks for the new news Candy. Turning out to be an excellent class.
    GO GATORS!!!! ALL CHOMP!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bogator

bogator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Love the synopsis. Definitely think we are closing this class strongly. Have put together a well rounded class that really addresses our needs. Any thoughts on Avantae?

4. isleptinbhg

isleptinbhg Premium Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Thank you. Anything on Avantae?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Keep trying Wilson, Manuel, and Janvier. Good things will happen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    I like UF's chances with Avante. Getting Lingard helped, but he is the one guy that just doesn't say much.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. raygravesghost

raygravesghost All American

Aug 13, 2019
    Oh Thank You recruiting gods...this has been a bountiful harvest...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    until Wilson is running out of the tunnel, i'm not banking on him lol. Janvier can be dropped if Van Pran is serious about taking an OV here (but it could be a Kirby mind game too). Forgot about Reese too. This is going to be interesting over the next month

9. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Candy - we have three slots left?
    1. Britt sounds confident he is one of those slots.
    2. Manuel if he qualifies.
    3. Gibbs > Tae > OL > Parrish? (is that the order?)

10. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

I hope Manuel can qualify and be dedicated. Talented kid but when Dunnellon played Vanguard a lot of Vanguard people were mad because Manuel quit the game at halftime. Dunnellon won that game. I'm a Dunnellon Grad and live in Ocala but missed that game so I wasn't there to confirm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Thanks for the info.

I'm not so worried about the receiver slot. As opposed to a lack of players and talent, the issue seems to me to be that we have had such great veterans and veteran leadership this year that the young guys haven't played a whole lot. We've just had an embarrassment of riches this year. Mullen has commented a couple of times that they feel good about the receive slot. I think tose young guys will be ready to rock and roll in the fall. There is talent there. It is just that we haven't seen much from them yet because those young guys didn't play, other than Copeland, and with practices closed almost all the time we don't get to see glimpses like we did 20 years ago.

I'm hoping Pitts puts on some weight and improves his blocking and becomes more and more of a traditional tight end, but I won't be surprised if we end up seeing him playing as a de facto receiver half the time next year. He is just too good.

12. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's already a match-up nightmare. I'm happy with 6'6" 240 lbs because he can still run like a deer in the 4th quarter. If he added 10-15 lbs, would he still have that burst late in games? I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Yes it is hard to know exactly. I think NFL Scouts like him as a tight end more if he can become and elite blocker. But he is just so good already that it is probably to be prudent in not making wholesale changes.

14. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I’d be willing to trade a little big play burst for some extra durability when hit or stand up when blocking. Either way, kids a beast.

15. MoscowGtr

MoscowGtr All American

Aug 17, 2011
    if we lose Avantae to Georgia, I hope our staff realizes that something is wrong and needs to change (including CDM reconsidering whether he needs some better recruiters on his staff)

• Come On Man x 15
    • Disagree x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I mean I wouldn't say all that because we lost out on Tae. Our DB haul is still great this cycle with or without him

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    Britt and Manuel are already figured in the numbers because they are commits. Here's where we stand, as far as I can tell.
    29 total slots for this class
    21 recruits already signed
    2 transfers (Pouncey and Lingard)
    So, we have 6 slots left. We currently have 4 commits.
    X. Henderson is the only one of the commits that I think is 100% guaranteed a spot in the class.
    That puts our number at 24.
    5 slots left to fill with:
    Britt (commit)
    Manuel (commit)
    W. Wilson (Visa issues)
    Shorter (transfer)
    Williams (S)
    Van Pran (OL)
    Brady Ward (Plan C oline)
    Transfer OL
    Gibbs/Parrrish/Clayton/White (RB slot)
    Beckwith
    Surprise?

Edit: Removed Janvier from the list after his decommitment

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. flipdaddy5

flipdaddy5 All American

Jan 3, 2015
    Curious if Grantham to MSU happens and if he takes anyone with him from the staff how this could effect any of their decisions. Particularly Robinson who has been one of the lead recruiters for many guys.

19. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    The surprise would Van Pran, however it's very possible he visits the 24th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. candymanfromgc

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think he will be their guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1