Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Updated: Trask Named Finalist.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Dec 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, as he should. All coach/player speak is lame. The best "sports" show is the Lebatard show, where they hardly discuss sports and when they do, they largely clown it, like the Useless Sound Montage. They just play dozens of coaches and athletes saying the most inane WGAF stuff week after week. That people desperately long to hear Mike Tomlin (whom I love) say "...all three phases..." and "...we have to get better as a football team..." week after week is a marvel of modern society.

Tom Brady may literally be a cyborg at this point, coded to say Nothing All The Time.

I imagine Mullen will be lobbying hard for Trask, as he should. Which will necessarily include NOT lobbying for Jones or Smith or Harris.

And just to be clear, I selfishly want Trask to win, and most certainly believe he is deserving if so. No controversy in my book. I also won't be wounded if he doesn't. Other guys, as always, have strong cases also. I don't believe Jones should win OVER Trask, given that I just saw them go head to head and KT more than held his own with a team that was self-aware enough to know to not even pretend to be able to hand the ball to running backs. That was a good choice by Mullen, but also a remarkable admission of ineptitude for an entire segment of routine football game-planning. All we had was Trask gun-slinging against a field of NFL players who know that the next play is a drop-back pass. Jones had 178 yards of support from Harris on THIRTY-ONE carries. Trask got 15 from all RB's combined. He only handed off 10 times. Emory ran four. The rest of the time, it was Trask being a hero.

But if Harris wins, I'd say "congrats", you (also) deserve it. Or even Smith, who also went Full Dominator (FIFTEEN catches.) No other WR had more than four. Harris had five. We also pretty much knew that in a real passing sitch, it's going to Smith. And there he was, every time.

As a homer I'd vote Trask, Harris, Smith. Jones comes somewhere later, who cares. But I'd find Harris, Trask, Smith a perfectly reasonable vote. Smith over Trask, eh, now I'd quibble, but only mildly. Even Smith has 98 catches for 1500 yards and 17 TD's.

Harris had some quiet games, so I doubt he actually makes the top 3. Lawrence will slide in somewhere, but he missed a game and in a couple of others hardly needed to throw. He threw 9 times in a 42 point win. I imagine it will be 1. Smith, 2. Trask, 3. Jones, 4. Lawrence, 5. Harris.

But KT could sneak in if the Bama votes get split. And if he doesn't, meh. It would be a sweet recruiting tool and obviously big for KT. Otherwise, it's the award shlubs like Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel can win.

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Trask was head and shoulders the best player. If he was on Bama it would be a landslide.
    Perhaps the Bama guys split.

Trask:
    • 285 of 409 passing (69.7 percent); 4,125 yards; 43 touchdowns, five interceptions; 3 rushing TDs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jones:
    • 250 of 327 passing (76.5 percent); 3,739 yards; 32 touchdowns, four interceptions
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Smith:
    • 2020 stats: 98 receptions for 1,511 receiving yards (15.4 yards per reception); 19 touchdowns from scrimmage (17 receiving, one rushing, one punt return)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. LearnedGator

LearnedGator Freshman

Sep 15, 2013

2 INT's and a fumble against LSU cost Trask the Heisman (and Florida's chance of going to the CFP).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  4. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree, but....

It was a bad game, but the whole concept of "bad game" is what stands out for me. Trask has played in 11 games. His bad game was in his 10th game.

Justin Fields played 6 games. Trevor Lawrence played 9 games, including 3 TD passes against the Citadel. So really, 8 games.

The more games you play, the more chances you'll have a bad game. Then there is Jones. Mac Jones had two games this year where he threw ZERO touchdowns. ZERO. They won both games by over 35 points. How can the best player in the country not throw a single touchdown in multiple games?

Trask is Florida's entire offense. Look at the stats the past few games. Our running game is non-existent. Shut him down, you shut down Florida's offense. Christ, behind Trask, Florida put up 44 and 46 points against top-25 defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    I agree especially given the award's purpose

Rode the pine holding a clipboard for a couple years while still being a great and motivating teammate, then took an opportunity to start and ran with it. All without the prototypical QB attributes we hear about in today's game. Always seems humble, always works hard, and is one of the best QBs in the game today. If that isn't diligence, perseverance and hard work then I don't know what those words mean.

The award is about the most shiny player now though. If Trask wins I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee

Sep 15, 2007
    Haven't you noticed? They usually say what they're told to say like all networks. The SEC and the SECN are all-in for the Gumps. Not even in the top three? C'mon!

7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    For Trask not to win should devalue the award. Pundits have absolutely lost their minds if they give it to Jones. They are punishing Trask for his defense and lack of running game while admitting that Jones is one of 3 outstanding players on a team with a great offensive line and a defense that prior to playing florida was giving up 8 points a game in their previous several games.

Insanity

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Lost in the shuffle is that in this "bad game" versus LSU, he still accounted for total 4 TD's and 400 yards passing. Which really brings into laser focus that the team lives and dies on Trask's arm. You really can't say that about Mac Jones.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    They gave it to Jameis Winston so that's already been done. Can't really think of a way to devalue it more

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    From a character standpoint absolutely. 100%

From a deserved standpoint they did it when they gave it to Crouch over Grossman not to mention allowing voters to leave off Tebow altogether in order to hand it to whats his name

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    That's the anti-Gator media for ya. Jealousy is unbecoming you morons. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  12. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Lawrence bugs me. During the postgame with Clemson Dabo was lobbying and pumping his guy for Heisman. I almost blew chunks. Zero class. Sports is politics now too...

Jones is really a good QB. Fields, not even close. Trask at hand is the dude. He's got the goods.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

His TD/INT ration is way better than Jones even with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    I wonder who our heisman winners vote for. It sounded like Tebow was going to vote for Jones, on the sec network. ... couldn’t believe it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    I hate all these Heisman polls and betting odds now. They’re designed to influence. Most of the voters are all media types, and they like to follow the leader. The narrative now is all about the 3 {{out of this world}} Bama players. So, just watch how many voters leave Trask off their ballot all together. I’m holding out slim hope that his incredible story, journey and better numbers will still resonate with enough voters that are tired of the gump machine. Kyle Trask is the epitome of what the HT is supposed to be about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Now we know. Thanks.

18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Most likely orders from his employers at the SEC network.

19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Y'all are wearing orange and blue glasses. What you have to remember is how bad Alabama's offense was before Jones took over as qb.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I hope Trask wins it, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was Devonte or Harris gets it. Anyone else winning would be a travesty.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.