Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Updated: Trask Named Finalist.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Dec 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, the stats don’t show everything. Trask made the harder throws tonight. And he got some crucial first downs as well as a TD with his feet. Mac Jones had a wall in front of him the whole night. Big difference when you watch the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Saban just said they frequently dropped eight into coverage. And Kyle still had the game he did. Impressive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Great effort but I wouldn't say Trask was a one man show. His WRs made some great catches as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009
    I really tire of the whole stupid Heisman thing. It is an award that is given based upon inconsistent and somewhat arbitrary criteria.

I'm not taking any thing away from Jones. He is solid. He doesn't make mistakes. He is the perfect fit for Bama. He isn't as good as Tua but probably a better fit for that offense.

But Trask was and has been incredible. Jones throws to a wide open Heisman wr or running back with nobody within 10 yards of him. Trask makes throws that are near perfect into tight coverage.

Trask threw for 400 more yards and 13 more touchdowns. And in terms of intangibles, Trask's back story is pretty remarkable. But when there aren't really any clear cut criteria, and playing for the #1 team, and being a QB amount to huge bonus points, then I'm not sure how you determine the award. Thus I really don't care.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    As much as I love Tebow, and he's my favorite player in Florida history, he was and is a hype machine and that helps him when it comes to awards such as this... even though I think he was snubbed in 2008. As good and popular as he was, he should've won the Heisman twice.

Kyle Trask is quiet and constantly seems to be overlooked and disrespected.

How he doesn't seem to be in 1st round NFL discussions is baffling to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Ehhh..in the end he lost 3 games. Najee Harris deserves the Heisman. Led his team to a 1 seed and leads the nation in rushing TD's

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Trask deserves it ...but Smith does too

8. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tebow just said he has Smith and Jones tied for number 1. Come on Tim, recognize the Gator!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Trask lost it last week, unfortunately. Nothing short of a win tonight was gonna get it done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Kyle Pitts should win. He’s slated to be the highest rated pick for a tight end in the history of the NFL and is the best player in FBS. That said, Trask was the best QB this year. We should have beat Bama tonight.

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Kyle Trask being better than Mac Jones should also eliminate Jones in my book.

If anybody from Alabama gets it, it should be Smith or Harris. I don't think Lawrence deserves it, either, despite being the best prospect in this upcoming draft. That's generally not how we evaluate Heisman contenders, anyways.

EDIT: Unfortunately, people will look at the box score, and say Jones outperformed Trask. People who watched the game (and know football) know better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Harris or Smith are likely the best players in college this year. Najee is the dude I don't want to see lining up against me next week.

Jones has orchestrated it well, but obviously not the straw that stirs the drink.

Trask is better than solid, but not a world-beater.

My ballot would have either KT or NH at the top. Jones is a distant third in my mind. Smith is a future NFL killer, but not enough for the Troph. KT has put up the stats, but not an obvious "it" factor.

I won't be indignant if KT doesn't win. If he does, I'd find him deserving.

I also mentioned on previous threads, this retched D would cost KT.

Sure enough. Jones throws a bunch of half-ass passes for 400 yards and 5 TDs.

But KT went big too. Maybe enough.

13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    4,125 passing yards - 43 TD passes - 3 rushing TD’s - 5 INT’s - in 11 SEC games.

Remarkable!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Tebow had 3-losses when he won, and so did Lamar.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorr4life

gatorr4life -WE ARE THE BOYS- Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The bad D did force Trask to have some huge statistical games, which of course is a big reason he’s in the Heisman race. If our D was better we might have gone for more ball control or he might have sat out a few more 4th quarters

That probably helped Tim win it his sophomore year, the team was better overall in 08 but Tebow didn’t quite put up the same numbers he did when he won the Heisman with overwhelming stats and a bad defense on his side.

Trask was on pace for such a statistically dominating year, the LSU loss (2 int and a fumble) might have done him in. This game helped him, but for the fact Jones actually had bigger stats AND got the win. So it was probably more neutral, hopefully the “split vote” thing helps him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Stats were pretty even too. Trask had three throwing, right? And one running. Jones had 5 passing with one pick. Both over 400 yards in the air. The winning team always get the love for their guy.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm hoping Trask is able to win it, but the voters will probably give it to one of the Bama players. I'm not even sure what the criteria is for the Heisman. Some years they give it to the best player on the best team, some years they give it to the best QB, some years they give it to the best offensive players, etc....

I think Trask deserves it because he put up crazy numbers and was pretty much forced to be darn near perfect every game on every drive due to the D to get stops. Even tonight, against a very tough Bama D, he put up great numbers and had us very close to pulling off the upset.

• Like Like x 1
  19. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Maybe we should still put his statue up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Well you might be right about the "stats" but Tebow was a one man team that year. Anyone watching tonight knows that Kyle Trask outplayed Matt Jones. I watched Notre Dame today and I saw numerous situations where Trask would have completed a huge gain pass but the announcers say everyone was covered. We're pretty lucky to have him. I hope Emory Jones can be close as good next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.