Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Updated Starting 5...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Jun 26, 2019.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Here's my starting 5:

1: AN
    2: Locke
    3: Lewis
    4: KJ
    5: KB

Tre Mann is "6th Mann"

What do you guys think?

Nembhard should be averaging close to 10 assists per game...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  2. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Absolutely! This is a no-brainer starting lineup. Glover will also get minutes as our 4th guard. Only question after that will be the pecking order for minutes at the backup 4/5 positions. Stokes, Payne, Gak, Bassett. I could see a scenario where none of those guys average more than 10-12 min a game, at least early on until one of them separates themselves from the pack.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Starting 5
    Final 4

• Like Like x 7
    • Creative Creative x 2
  4. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I just got chills and a boner simultaneously.

• Funny x 12
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I think KB is going to play some 4 for us as well. Just a guess on my part.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That is my lineup too. Seems fairly locked in. The front-court just went from a huge question mark, to a strength. Just like that.

Not quite a "perfect" final four or bust team, but it is pretty damn well put together on paper to make a run at the top 10. The only real questions now are:
    • a) the extreme youth of the back-court (even though we got a borderline 1 and done to come back, and a likely 1 and done coming in, it's still all freshmen and sophs 1-4 and even the backups are freshmen). Can't afford any key injuries here.
    • b) Who else steps up in the front-court rotation? Even with KB, we do need at least 1 guy to step up from what they've been doing. Still, KB should lock it down for 30 minutes and I feel very good about that starting lineup. We know what Basset can do, and he is capable of chipping in minutes at the 4 and 5. But we don't yet know what we have in Payne and Jitoboh, and to some extent we don't know what we have in Gak either since he hasn't been healthy for 2 seasons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Florida's addition of Blackshear only amplifies the hype around the program as it preps for the 2019-20 season. White and Co. have a top-10 recruiting class led by two five-star recruits, and they also bring back former five-star Andrew Nembhard for a sophomore season after he briefly tested the NBA Draft waters."
    - CBS Sports

• Like Like x 3
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to get ahead of things, but this is the make or break year now for White. I don’t get wrapped up in final fours, the tournament is too big a crap shoot.
    But if he shows that he can coach an elite roster well next year and we get a guy or two drafted, the recruiting train will hopefully roll. If he doesn’t, he might not get another shot at convincing big names to come.

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I could see us playing match-ups. But that really depends on who else steps up. I literally have no idea if any of our other bigs can go 20 minutes and play at a starter level. As of now if we want the best 5, it's small-ball with KJ at the 4 and KB at the 5. Another big will have to show something to even believe we can play big for longer stretches. The good news is we now have plenty of bodies, and 1 legit starter, before it was questionable if we even had a legit starter quality player. Now Payne and Jitiboh can work in slowly rather than desperately needing someone to start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    He'll definitely have at least one drafted - Scottie Lewis. Nembhard and Blackshear are question markets, both could do with a lot more athleticism, I can't wait to see what Preston Greene does with these guys this summer!

We'll be fine. This is the year White puts his stamp on Florida basketball. These are all his guys now, his recruits. It's been a while since I've been this optimistic about an upcoming season. We're going to have some studs. Only question is how to distribute all the minutes. One thing I know, is that we're going to play a LOT FASTER this year than last. We finally have the personnel and depth to do it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes sir Jeff, I've been saying the same as well with that line up. Something else hit me reading through the comments as to our PF spot and big men depth. We even have two guys that can rotate in to help set interior picks for Blackshear, in Johnson and Stokes. Imagine Blackshear and Johnson on the floor for inbound plays with Nembhard throwing the ball in and, oh by the way, here comes Lewis filling the lane and Locke in the far corner waiting for an open 3. Ya think Coach White is going to enjoy drawing up some new inbound plays?

• Like Like x 4
  12. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 All American

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    This has clearly become Mike White's deepest team ever
    PG: Andrew Nembhard (5 star)
    SG: Noah Locke (4 Star)
    SF: Scottie Lewis (5 Star)
    PF: Keyontae Johnson (4 Star)
    C: Kerry Blackshear (4 star thats clearly 5 star talent)
    Backups
    Guard: Tre Mann (5 Star), Ques Glover (3 Star)
    Forward: Gorjok Gak (3 Star), Omar Payne (4 star), Isaiah Stokes (4 Star), Jason Jitoboh (3 Star)
    LOADED

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I wonder how much more fun CMW will have this season over last?
    Gator fans, too?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    We can afford to play 2 centers at once if the situation arises.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Sophomore

Oct 30, 2013
    Know what I like better???
    out of the starting 5, Lewis is the only one not proven they can play at a high D1 level.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We are going all the way!!! We are stacked this year!!! Mike White is building a juggernaut!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Sophomore

Oct 30, 2013
    While I know Johnson can play the 4, I don't see him starting there. He is really the only one besides Lewis who can play the 3.
    KJ is best in spurts at PF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No respect for Dontay Bassett.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have to disagree. KJ almost certainly will start. Unless White decides to start Lewis at the 2, which would push KJ to the starting 3 spot, KJ starts at the 4.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. g8rl8

g8rl8 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    What especially excites me is the instant leadership and grit KB adds to this team. Last year's team still had some difficulty in the effort department (not including KH), and seemed to lack some mental strength at times (which was even mentioned by CMW). This roster is full of high effort guys that are willing defenders. We've got some dogs on the team this year.

• Like Like x 1