Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Updated Batting Averages

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by ufgrad97, May 6, 2019.

1. ufgrad97

ufgrad97 Freshman

Apr 2, 2019
    Nothing really new to report. Averages are basically the same. The young guys are the ones who continue to struggle. Sully made some interesting moves in the late game on Sunday. I think Butler is good on a fastball but struggles with the off-speed stuff. A couple of hits on Friday's game could have changed the game. We left too many runners on base.

Player AVG OPS
    Brady McConnel .319 .989
    Nelson Maldonado .299 .925
    Brady Smith .298 .958
    Austin Langworthy .293 .806
    Cory Acton .265 .804
    Wil Dalton .261 .807
    Jacob Young .236 .678
    Kendrick Calilao .231 .539
    Jud Fabian .162 .463

We need the clutch hits to win games when our pitchers give us a chance. We can't seem to do that.

I hope the pitchers make a huge jump next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I will add the following info on the primary Gator pitchers conference ERAs:

Tommy Mace 5.44
    Christian Scott 5.72
    Jordan Butler 8.22
    Hunter Ruth 11.48
    Nolan Crisp 11.74
    Jack Leftwich 12.39

The Gator issues have been both pitching and hitting - The issue is if McConnell, Maldonado, Langworthy, and Dalton all leave for the draft/graduation next year - how does our team get better?

Next year we will still have a young team, but the problem is they are not improving (actually getting worse) and maybe our only hope is the 2019 commits step up with a few JUCO kids coming in to get us back to the talent level to compete within the SEC.

The question is how did Sully let the Gator team get this diffused of talent?

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    99—

First off Nellie is a senior this year so that wraps his Gator career up. Lang and Dalton are draft eligible Jrs—McConnell is a draft eligible sophomore (age)—I feel sure all three of their decisions will have influence by the money that they are offered—that said, I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Lang return (he’s a three year Gator and has it in his blood)—

The pitchers have got to take hard lessons learned and apply those knocks and lumps to their efforts in summer ball such as The Cape and other college summer leagues—there will always be “fresh blood “ coming in that can have an impact—

I don’t really know how to address your question with regards to what Sully let happen to the team’s talent—first, this is just MHO but maintaining and developing a roster of talent is an ability of coaching to teach their system while at the same time instilling confidence to perform at a level not yet reached by this particular group. To have a true blend of talent, timing as a team, maturity (or lack of it) and compete with annually the draft can be both tricky and lucky—

If you look back in our recent past even, our big name starters were not put in this big of a spotlight as this current group—I get it, everybody (myself included) is frustrated with this year’s results—

This year everyone expected Dyson to be “the man” because of his success in last year’s postseason—that didn’t happen...

With the amount of exposure and experience Mace and Leftwich got last year down the stretch we all had expectations for them to step into the role of pulling the wagon—hasn’ really happened, and here we are...

From my seat and history with the game, I trust Sully hands down—

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    I think everyone trusts Sully moving forward - it will be interesting to watch how Sully changes the dynamics of the team next year.

Does he pull a Mike White and have a bunch of kids leave or does he continue to try and work with the ones we have on roster. My issue is the younger kids on the current roster have gotten worse - so they either have no competitive fire or lack talent to compete in the SEC.

I know the fan base is frustrated - luckily we have Sully!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Uf_1993

Uf_1993 Freshman

Jan 14, 2013
    I agree on the talent. I am a little bit surprised on the way the freshman have played. Some surprises are good some bad. I think the season has shown some of the highly ranked guys may have ranked a little higher than they should have been. Position players and pitchers both.

I was looking at some of the players stats from their freshman years and their JR years, and usually there was not that big a jump. It was a little surprising.

• Like Like x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I will wait till next year to comment further.

7. gatoralumni99

gatoralumni99 VIP Member

Apr 6, 2019
    As freshmen JJ Schwarz hit .332 BA with 18 HRs and OPS of 1.027 and Jonathan India hit .303 with an OPS of .807... we just need to get a couple guys to step foot on campus next year and produce.

In Sully we trust!

8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    We probably need a season like this every once and awhile. Call it a “purge”... of expectations. Help to ground us.

But it seems curious to occur just a few seasons removed from a title!

Baseball is complicated To begin with! Made even more so by the MLB draft.

Coming into the season: thought the pieces were there. Looked like everyone could be interchangeable. That’s how it’s been: at many a slightly worse level of play than first anticipated.

We have outfielders playing infield. ...The closer as a starter. ...Starters coming out of the pen, etc. ...pitchers pinch-hitting: interchangeable. Just need to up our game. Play at a higher level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. taxman22

taxman22 Premium Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Pitching and defense. Average offense. That’s college baseball. Pitching fell off the cliff this year for many reasons. Sully will get it right. He has a decent core of pitchers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Where you been man—for myself anyway, you and your input has been missed—

Glad to see you resurface—

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    It is tax season Bill. He has been busy working with the early filers, those that need an extension. Brutal work. You likely spent hours on your taxes alone!!! Imagine him!

Oh wait, you probably didn’t... Damn retirees...

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    From what I have seen the talent is most assuredly there, we have seen how well the kids, frosh included can play, it is a matter of getting their consistency and focus right by next Fall, that is up to them and the coaches together. Based on the track record of the coaching staff and the talent they have amassed I believe next season will be a real bounce back one but then I am a glass half full kinda Gator

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Georgia is a top 10 team. Did anyone notice coming into the series they had one guy in the Friday night lineup hitting .300 or better? It starts and ends on the mound. This is a very hard sport to begin with but the offense has to feel like they have to score 8 or more to have a shot at winning. That further complicates things. Yes we have had young guys hit .300 but they had more seasoned guys in the lineup to take the pressure off. We have 4 guys in our everyday 9 having to learn how to make mid season, mid series and mid game adjustments. It is a learning process. I would say none of the guys have regressed, they are trying to find their ways. I am sure the dugout is tight as well. Tough to win when we are giving up record numbers of runs, having internal pressures and external pressures are ratcheted up! We have not been in a spot like this in 12 years!!! We will rebound.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ufgrad97

ufgrad97 Freshman

Apr 2, 2019
    I hope your right 23, I am just not so sure that experience on the mound and on the field is the answer. I can't see the young guys making that big a jump next year. If they don't, what is going to be our plan next year? Wait til next year? I think 99 may have made a good point and you kind of said the same thing, we need some experience in the line-up. Maybe we need to see if we can bring a couple of juco guys in to help.

I just hope we are not in for more of the same next year. Poor pitching and never being able to get that big hit when we need it.

15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here are some splits to consider (SEC play only):

HOME Batting (8-4): .293 BA, .466 SLG, .366 OBP
    AWAY Batting (1-11): .240 BA, .380 SLG, .314 OBP

HOME Pitching: 4.50 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, .255 Opp BA, 0 triples allowed
    AWAY Pitching: 1065 ERA, 2.20 WHIP, .358 Opp BA, 4 triples allowed

But I think the nature of the H/A divide is a little deceptive. Consider that we've played SEC #'s 4.5, 12, 13, and 14 at home; we've played SEC #'s 1, 3, 4.5, and 6 on the road, and I think similar stats tell a more accurate story of where we are this year:

Against SEC "top 6" Batting (2-13): .242 BA, .382 SLG, .313 OBP
    Against SEC "bottom 3" Batting (7-2): .308 BA, .492 SLG, .385 OBP

Against SEC "top 6" Pitching: 9.53 ERA, 2.04 WHIP, .348 Opp BA, 4 triples allowed
    Against SEC "bottom 3" Pitching: 4.11 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, .236 Opp BA, 0 triples allowed

-----------------------

2-14 when scoring less than 6 runs. 7-1 when scoring at least 6 runs.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    Our class is currently top five for the next few years. They are all nationally ranked, so lets hope they stick and not go pro. You never know when you find a diamond in the rough. Also a lot of our current kids are very young starting their college careers. Give them some time. I think we will be fine. In Sully I trust!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It happened by stacking one Top 5 recruiting class on top of another for several years running - and I'm talking about rankings posted after the start of the Fall semester - not before the MLB draft. I went back and looked at the classes early in the year, when I was amazed after so many highly-ranked classes we were starting four freshmen. I was not surprised to find an inordinate number of busts, and other guys who are not busts, but have not been as good as advertised, or as good as we expected.

I'll not call names of the busts, because, other than "choker" or "cheater," "bust" is about the worst thing an athlete can be called, and we are talking about Gators here.

As for the guys that have not lived up to their billing, but can't be labelled as "busts", you can just about put every player on the roster on this list. Langworthy is a solid SEC ballplayer, but he was billed as a future All American - maybe even a possible second coming of Brad Wilkerson - when we signed him. Blake Reese was almost what you would call a five-star coming out of Tallahassee, if you threw out all the players from his class that signed with MLB. Nellie got hurt early in his career and could never play the outfield again. Brady Mc. was the top middle infielder in the nation that didn't sign with MLB. He's a stud with a bat in his hands, but his 14 errors only begin to tell the story of his defensive problems. Who thought that in their third and fourth years in the program Mace, Leftwich and Dyson would be struggling like they are. Ruth and Milchin have battled injuries. In looking at the roster, I counted 10 non-freshman healthy pitchers on the roster, and three of those play more in the field or bat more than they pitch. Three more never pitch or play at all, to speak of. Where are all the pitchers we signed the last four years? There is where you will find the busts.

We all know what Sully can do, so he and his staff are not the problem. Recruiting top classes is not a problem. I am not close enough to the team to see whether or not there is a good climate in the locker room, and everyone is pulling together. Is there a cancer on the team? I don't know. Is this a group of guys that won't take coaching? I do know that Sully has indicated that the team's attitude is good.

It may just be that we ended up with a bunch of guys that everyone missed on - our coaches, other teams' coaches, the recruiting experts, the major league scouts - everyone. I have watched just about every game this year, either in person or on TV, and I have no clue, but it surely has not been any fun to watch. I know that, and I know that there is no staff in the country that I would want to swap our for as for getting us back on track.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very well said Wes and great comparisons with your averages at home and away. I agree big time with this year's SEC schedule is a harsh year for our young team to endure. I'm sure no other SEC team has had this tough of a road schedule to play. It might bite us this year but I hope it helps us rebound next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    87—

You hit the nail on the head—after this year’s schedule this group will not be in for any surprises next year.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Could be the reason! Need taxman’s weekly summation and insights post!

• Agree Agree x 1