Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

** Update -Tourney Cancelled ** At this rate March madness will be cancelled

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Mar 11, 2020.

1. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Baseball and softball extend out into the summer so maybe.

One thing to point out about Hoiberg is that he had open-heart surgery a few years ago, so his illness could very easily be attributed to that as well. Hopefully it was a quick illness that he's able to quickly recover from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Baseball is already scheduled into the summer though. Basketball is supposed to be done in spring, and indeed many players that graduate or going to the NBA will probably be moved on. I can see some not really wanting to come back months later, even for the NCAA tournament. They may already be looking to cash professional checks in many cases (at least for endorsement deals, getting ready for draft, etc).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    The NBA and all professional leagues will be pushed back as well so it may be possible.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Hopefully. Just wonder how long it will take. China's been fighting this thing for months. Looking back at the stories, I believe January 23rd is when they first initiated a "quarantine" in the province where all this started. Yet, even after all that time it's not like it was eradicated, and it actually spread to Italy and around the globe (and it's probably worse in Italy than it ever was in China). But at least in China it is slowing down, so that is proof it can at least be slowed dramatically.

Despite some people thinking all these cancellations are batshit crazy (or a "media plot" or whatever nonsense), what we are doing is nowhere near what China did. So I just wonder if this thing will go on for more than 2 months here.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

If it's a relatively small (a few hundred people), known population, I would think they could take measures to prevent that population from interacting with the community at large.

The virus doesn't seem to be that lethal to most of the population. It just has to be kept from spreading uncontrolled as it is apparently very contagious and can quickly spread to millions, which can over-tax medical facilities and make a 1% fatality rate a big number.

6. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So, you take away star players? And who is to say that others on the team haven't been exposed, just that they are asymptomatic? There is no real world scenario where that works effectively imo.

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I fully expect it to be canceled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well hopefully we get our game in today so we can see the team one last time. Don’t want to end the season on a loss.

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Get to 20 wins at least.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Ncaa has to capitalize on this opportunity. Play the tournament, everyone will be cooped up in their damn house, and need live entertainment. Ratings would be through the roof! Plus, it’s my favorite event of the year.

• Like Like x 3
  12. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    This is going to be crushing for all of us, no doubt and we'll miss the entertainment and, more importantly, year of memories and added history. But this thing is getting canceled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Correct. You were allowed to leave your house once every 3 days. And it worked.

South Korea did a different track: early easy testing. Their testing rate was thousands of percents higher than us. We are so comically far behind other first-world countries. Multiple orders of magnitude.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Isn't our "system" wonderful?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Definitely getting cancelled. As soon as the first D1 player has confirmed corona. Should be any day now. Even if that player isn’t in the NCAA tournament, they’ll have played the conference champion, or played a team that played the conference champion, etc.

It is so heartbreaking. This is so many people’s favorite time of year. Certainly is mine. I plan my life a year in advance for this. Those poor seniors too. No way you can let them play next year either because teams won’t have roster spots for returning seniors and incoming freshmen.

16. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    I've been a quadriplegic for 28 years now. I've had way more experience with the "system" than I'd want even my worst enemy to have.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I try to avail myself of learning from someone with actual experience. What are some of most chronic things in the system that, if you were Dictator, you'd change?

What are some of things you think actually work ok for you and your situation?

18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Once again, folks. We do not allow political discussion in any forum outside of Too Hot. Political posts will be either edited or deleted.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    PM me if you want to chat and I'll reply when I have a chance.

20. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I really hope they don't cancel the tournament and instead just postpone it. The tournament is already played over 3 weeks. Perhaps, they can play the first four rounds in a shorter period of time all at one place since logistics will be an issue in rescheduling. Just a thought, but I would hope they can find a way to play the games.

• Winner Winner x 1