Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Update: Kelly buzz..."The Thread" Hall of Fame bound.

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would say to use one's brain here. $8M not happening, not for Frost.

2. icequeen

icequeen GC Hall of Fame

May 21, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Well there was one time at Club 5 that the crossdressing host(ess) said "they aint real!" to me, and I said yes they are, then he/she put their hand down my corsett to prove if they were real or not and then promptly announced to the huge crowd that yes they were...to which everyone cheered, and I took a bow & got a free drink for being a good sport.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    This, plus the fact that neither side has effectively shot down the rumors.

It benefits neither to let it fester, if there's nothing to it. UF for obvious reasons, CK a little less obvious--but how many oppy's have been shut down, b/c he didn't shut this rumor down?

IMO, both parties would have come right out and shut down the 'speculation' coldly (even if gently).

jmho/fwiw.

4. fierygator

fierygator GC Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Apex, NC

5. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    Alright, here it goes - us or UCLA.

Since we are VERY far along in the process and have come to at least a verbal agreement on the terms I think we have a really good chance.

However, if there is some intangible that had UCLA always as a preferable destination for Chip then we might be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. evermoresg

evermoresg All American

Sep 4, 2009
    RIP 29th Street
    Mike Leach definitely does not.

7. BenTrillGriffin

BenTrillGriffin All American

Oct 7, 2012
    Orlando
    Hate to tell you but sources say Chip Kelly was seen at Chic-Fil-A this morning, there was a hiring sign on the door.

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    Nah.... I think Chip has a plan to win and he wants everything to be in order so when he's officially announced as coach he can hit the ground running

9. GatorSko

GatorSko Junior

Sep 22, 2014
    sanford,fl
    Exactly!

• Like Like x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I read it as we want them to meet the new guy later, rather than bringing them in to meet the interim staff, and experience the ...existing atmosphere... currently languishing over the locker room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    What do you make of that ESPN tweet above?

12. gatorbate91

gatorbate91 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2014
    Holy shat I'm agreeing with Wing. If he's on your side you probably love him. If not ya gonna hate.

13. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, it's very possible that this UF v. UCLA thing relates to the offset language in his NFL contract. If the reports that Kelly and UF had agreed in principle and were waiting to avoid an offset, the NFL lawyers might be all over that and argue that he was effectively hired. Making this appear to be a real decision would help mitigate that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. lakeland_gator

lakeland_gator Junior

Jan 23, 2014
    We're still good, guys and gals. From source - Still 100% confident that Chip Kelly will be publicly announced as the Gator head ball coach on Sunday. It is confirmed that the wait is because of the reasons discussed regarding Kelly's NFL contracts and payouts. Sorry but the source does not have an exact time for the announcement on Sunday. :)

Source also confirms that UCLA simply didn't have enough money to compete for Kelly.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy family and friends, hopefully we can pull off a win Saturday and then let's enjoy our new coach on Sunday.

• Like x 7
    • Friendly x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That sounds like a bestseller in the making.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    If it is true that it legitimately took 3x or so weeks of negotisting, vetting, etc. How is it, logistically that UCLA can come in in a few days and be at the same stage as we are?

Only way u see him picking Ucla is if that was his preference all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Supergatorfan

Supergatorfan GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Meyer is a University of Cincinnati alum that was a GA at Ohio State.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. flat ronnie

flat ronnie All American

Oct 30, 2017
    Possible.

19. AthensGator

AthensGator VIP Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Is Campbell left out because we think the buyout is just undoable?

20. brianufl

brianufl Freshman

Dec 11, 2010
    For those of you that think this holdout of information is because CK is trying to play us against other universities for more money, that just doesn't flat make sense to me. He has plenty of money from his past 3 coaching opportunities - one of which is still paying him. The guy is all about football. Anyone who is capable of bringing him in is going to be paying him big $ already. I just don't see a million a year one way or another making that big of a difference when you take into account his ego and desire to win championships. If that isn't part of it, why not just stay at ESPN and collect and easy paycheck? If one school is looking to pay him $5M more a year, that's a big difference, but if it's within 1 or 2 I think the ability to compete for championships at the highest level of college football has to weigh in pretty heavily.