Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UPDATE: Ex-FSU linebacker Geno Hayes passes away

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Apr 22, 2021.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Former Florida State and NFL linebacker Geno Hayes is in hospice care due to a liver condition, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. Hayes, 33, played three seasons with the Seminoles from 2005-07 and seven seasons in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2008-11), Chicago Bears (2012) and Jacksonville Jaguars (2013-14).

The liver condition has greatly impacted Hayes' health over the last few weeks, which is what has led to his admission into hospice. He is currently at his parents' home in Georgia.

"Geno's in need of prayers. He's fighting for his life," said Madison County (Florida) High School coach Frankie Carroll, who coached Hayes in high school. "It's tough. Geno's a fun-loving guy."

Hayes was a four-star prospect coming out of high school. He signed with Florida State and played three seasons before declaring for the NFL Draft. He was drafted by the Buccaneers in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Ex-Florida State, NFL linebacker Geno Hayes in hospice care with liver condition, per report

Only 33 years old, sad

UPDATE:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Damn

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Way too young.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    God bless him and I pray for peace and a miracle for him and his family.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Never heard anything but great things about Geno from family at Madison Co HS...very sad

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh man that is really sad

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    What a bummer. Always weird to hear athletes getting hit up like this. Would expect more resilience and longevity from all the conditioning.

I hope for a complete recovery. God bless the lad. :)

I can't hear his name and not visualize that contorted position he was in as Tebow juked him in route to the end-zone. Can I say that? Even he would laugh at that today. Probably.:oops:

Go Gators.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Prayers for Geno.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Sux.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope he gets the transplant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Prayers for peace for him and his loved ones. All divisions of fandom cease at a time like this. A player is down on the field. Take a knee and wait.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. stp_gator

stp_gator Senior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    My Lord, that is tragic news. It’s a very solemn reminder to treasure our relationships with loved ones and appreciate each and every day we are given on this earth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He and Tebow jawed at each other in the Swamp. Very sad to hear about his health. Liver transplant. Needs to last long enough to get one and then survive it (Mantle did not). Let's pray for him each day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Prayers and best wishes for him and his family. Truly sad.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Awful stuff. My brother in law passed from liver cancer. Another pal of mine is dealing with rare form of liver disease. He's eve talked with transplant people. Been on a prednisone type med for a while now. Auto immune hepatitis. Liver problems are pretty bad news.

Geno is a young guy. Hope he can get a transplant-the kids need him.

Go Gators.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hospice not a death sentence but always cause for concern. Bummer.

18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Hope young man gets through this. The liver is nothing to fool with.

19. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]
    Former Madison County Cowboy, FSU Seminole, Buc and Jaguar Geno Hayes has stated his condition is not related to heavy use of alcohol.
    Prayers and best wishes for Geno getting a liver transplant and a speedy recovery.

Hayes, 33, told ESPN before entering the hospital last month that he had been placed on a waiting list for a transplant at the Mayo Clinic and Northwestern Medicine in December after being hospitalized over 20 times in the past year.

"The first diagnosis they gave me was alcoholic cirrhosis," Hayes said. "But when we dug in deeper, it became just chronic liver disease, because I don't drink like that. If I did drink, it was just like wine or something like that. But my body is made different. And that's what [my doctor] said -- 'Everybody's made different.'"

"I went from 220 [pounds] to 150," Hayes said. "That was when I was first diagnosed."

While alcoholic liver cirrhosis is on the rise in people ages 25-34, according to a 2018 University of Michigan study, Hayes said he suspects the use of nonprescription pain medications is what caused his condition, combined with a family history of liver disease. Hayes said he took over-the-counter pain medications during his playing career but never more than the amount directed on the bottle.

Ex-Bucs, Noles LB Hayes, 33, in hospice care

20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    He passed away. RIP to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1