Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Update: 3.28 Million job losses vs. 1.5 million expected

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:07 PM.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Seems clearer by the day, if it hurts trump do it, no matter what the cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yeah, we want to hurt Trump by saving people's lives. I guess your world is as centered around Trump as his. Sounds like an awful place to live.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It important for every American to wake up every day and say to themselves, "How can I fulfill my duty as an American to make Trump feel praise today, and make his supporters feel better?" Because if not, people die. Priorities, mind you.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    You just said it was all trump's fault that 7 mil unemployed. So which is it? You can't push for a national shutdown to save lives and then be horrified at the result, then blame it on trump.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Presidents always get to much credit and to much blame for the economy. I think we should have a better idea about this disease once we get more tests done. I am wondering how many people are walking around infected but not showing any or few symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I just said if Trump wants to claim the credit for the job numbers when they're strong, he needs to take the blame when they're weak. Sounds reasonable to me. I'm fine with you not crediting him for the good or bad. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Anything else is just a hoax by the left wing media. Sad!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Reasonable minded people understand the source of the outbreak wasn't his "fault".

Reasonable minded people will also remember that this idiot said it was "airtight" and that cases would go from 15 to 0 like "magic".

The reality is this administration couldn't have bungled it any worse until it was already too late, and massive shutdowns became the only option. How much different of a place we'd be in if they were more pro-active is unknowable, but it wouldn't be any worse. What's worse, the POTUS keeps undercutting his own administration's message, which will make this thing drag out longer and likely worse as well (if any fools are actually listening to him at this stage).

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Ah, a good old fashioned Too Hot debate (reminds me of the old days before all the normal posters came over from the Den).

Here goes...

I take offense to that and find it ignorant.

I’m not rooting for the shutdown of the economy for the following reasons:
    • It will create financial hardship for millions
    • My bonus will be very large (and I hate to bring that up when so many people are struggling) or $0.00 depending on how well my firm’s investments do this year. Guess what determines how well my firms investments do (it’s not the stock market since it is private equity)... General economic growth.
    • Shutting down the economy is not good for general economic growth.
    • I have two kids and almost had their 529 plans funded to the level I want this year. Doesn't look like I will be meeting my personal financial goal.
    • The shutdown has personally impacted me as we wanted to be humane and call the people we furloughed / laid off. Those calls were not fun, AT ALL, and I wasn't "rooting" for that to take up most of my day Monday on Sunday evening.
    Thousands of other for profit firms, schools, the military etc. have made the same logical decision that shutting things down is the best thing for everyone (including Trump who still doesn't understand what is going on). None of them want to lose money, halt education, limit defense, etc.

But here is the thing, they are (i) able to think logically and (ii) are able to think about people other than themselves.

Trump struggles with both. He also takes all the credit in good times (when he is responsible or not responsible for the outcome) and deflects the blame in bad times (when he is responsible or not responsible for the outcome).

What is extremely annoying here is he was telling everyone to go to work for too long, promising the economy is going to open too soon and when the pandemic is avoided due to very difficult decisions made by other public leaders (state governments and, to an extent, Congress) and the private sector he will take the credit when his advise would have the potential to kill millions and would have 100% resulted in millions of sick people with a very high chance of overloading our hospital system.

What I am rooting for is the avoidance of the red bar in this link.

This model predicts the last day each state can act before the point of no return

And if you don't care about Yankees, this state we both live in matters to me to. No red bar is what I am rooting for.

This model predicts the last day each state can act before the point of no return

It’s common sense. Trump is a cowering dog backed in a corner and his few followers left on the site don't have a leg to stand on.

Please refute the facts above.

Are you rooting for the red scenarios in the above two links or do you disagree with the model?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Ok... seems he waited again until closing.

13. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 VIP Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The Irish Riviera
    The market closes at 4:00 look at the time of the tweet.

14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    4:57? Unless I screwed up.

15. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 VIP Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The Irish Riviera
    The point is the market was already closed for nearly an hour so to me it came across as he was waiting for the market to close as of that tweet. If that was not your thought process I apologize.

16. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Seriously dude, you're arguing with a ghost of your own creation. No one wants to hurt the economy to hurt Trump. No one wants to hurt the economy by having to social distance and shut down businesses. People are acting in solidarity to do this despite the tremendous toll it will take on the economy and on folks lives, not to mention to a quite uncertain end because we lack any other real mechanisms to deal with an uncontrolled and uncontrollable invisible enemy. You might get a dopamine hit from saying such things, but you are badly mistaken.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Yep. Saying same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Wrong, Mutz. Italy, India, France, Spain, and Germany have essentially shut their countries down because they're desperate to hurt Trump. It's a globalist conspiracy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Couldn't have said it any better! :D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Anything to hurt Trump. If that means watching my investments get crushed so be it. Who cares if I have to stay at home for weeks on end without anything to do. I don’t need restaurants or entertainment anyways. My hatred of Trump can sustain me indefinitely. Sure, my neighbors are out of work and worried about keeping a roof over their heads, but I tell them there is great honor in their sacrifice. Just like I’ll tell my elderly parents and grandparents if they catch the virus.

All I need to do is look at Trump’s recent poll numbers to know that it’s all worth it.

Oh wait.

• Winner Winner x 2