Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UPDATE: “Gator Bait” chant no longer will be used.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slocala, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    If free and open discussion of ideas and opinions isn't a hill worth dying on, neither was Mt. Suribachi.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    Absolutely!

My point precisely....
    but better worded than my post.

Thank you, sir.

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Well, a bunch of fanatical nationalists and fascists died on Suribachi too ;)

4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ouch that bad rep hurts... :eek::D

Dah... dah... dah... dah... dah... GATOR BAIT!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorbill

gatorbill VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Franklin NC
    Probably right, however it was when the topic was in Bullgator Den I think as I don't participate in Too Hot. There is a g8orbill whose name is similar and other people have mixed us up. Not so much lately.

Regardless I don't remember either so will just move on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Helpful suggestions in post #622.

7. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not bigotry. Common sense. They may not hate their freedom to say what they want. They may not hate the comforts many receive in our country. They may not hate the fact that they are truly free unlike other countries around the world. They do hate. They are angry and want to take away our freedoms while they hide in the political class that are exempt from the the policies they want. I hope they are way too left for you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    So the gator bait chant was banned due to a satirical article written over 90 years ago, and people actually believing that crap and expressing outrage about that satirical article. What a bunch of nonsense.

Jonathan Swift wrote an article about humans eating the babies of poor people over 200 years ago. So according to this logic, England stands for eating the babies of poor white people, and we should argue that English people should never discuss eating/feeding and babies in the same sentence, as it could refer to eating babies. How far is this going to go?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Pasco08

Pasco08 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    I know I am late to this but I really don't understand ending the Gator Bait Chant I don't think anyone at a football game had any intention of meaning it in such a way. I lean Left politically but I just think this is going a bit far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry to have dragged you in here! Ooops, sorry, did it again. :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I don't understand ending the gator bait chant either. But I do understand that I unsubscribed from all UF correspondence today. Only thing left is UAA and Gator Boosters. If football isn't played this fall in something approaching normal, there is a very good chance that will end as well.

I can always get tickets to the Georgia game from ticket sites in the future

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, at least you won't be hurting UF financially, right? The school is better off without the type of "fan" that says "I'm taking my ball and going home" when they don't like a coach, a policy, or something as serious as a [gasp] cheer being deleted. To make matters worse, if the NCAA, SEC or UF determines that we can't have "normal" football in the fall due to health concerns for the players and/or fans, then you're going to withdraw the last traces of your version of support? That is pathetic. If I were a UF admin, you would be getting a "good riddance, don't let the door hit you..." email/letter at the first opportunity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Believe me, I won’t be losing any sleep because you don’t want my support at UF.

I’ve had 2-4 season football tickets since the 87 season. That’s right, started in the middle of the probation, and with that A-hole Arnsparger as AD. Supported all 8 head coaches during that time. Bought tickets to every SEC championship game, at least one road game/season and many bowl games during that time. Have never not gone to an early afternoon game because it was “too hot” as many people do these days.

Bought two basketball season tickets during the Kruger years and kept them until 2015 when I wasn’t able to use them very much anymore.

UF has the right to do whatever they want with the University. I have the right to spend my money how I see fit. As with any business transaction, the exchange must mutually benefit both. When it doesn’t, one side or the other is going to walk. Believe me, I am not alone in this line of thought when it comes to UF.

Again, don’t think for a second that I will lose any sleep because you want to throw a tantrum when someone does something you don’t like.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Another fine example of tolerance and diversity from a liberal!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    But I want muh chants and slave labor playing in unsafe conditions!

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    While I don't agree with your decision, I respect your right to make it. Hopefully, events lead you back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    To many on this board, the University appears to have “capitulated” and didn’t seek to understand the views of the students, alumni, donors, and fan base. If I am understanding correctly, would you have changed your views on continuing to donate if the University had heard your personal POV, but ultimately made a decision that you disagreed with?

18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably off-topic for this thread, but it was A-hole Arnsparger who hired Steve Spurrier as HBC (Spurrier's record speaks for itself) and Lon Kruger as basketball coach. Although he was no Billy Donovan, Kruger was the first Gator coach to make it to the Final Four.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Yes, most likely. I do not hold an expectation of agreeing with every policy change. As with any organization that is trying to accommodate multiple POVs there must be some concession by all parties.

20. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I hope you continue to support the University in the capacity you feel is acceptable. I suspect that the “powers that be” had little time for debate. Likely their hand was forced by a potential bad press article or they had been asked to provide a comment. The press, like it or not, sometimes can force a response.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1