Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UPDATE: “Gator Bait” chant no longer will be used.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slocala, Jun 13, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Good for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #CancelYale

The world is changing.

3. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    You got some voodoo powers or somethin?

4. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    People are misreading our students. Many, probably most, will agree with Fuchs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just the truth. Can't say anything negative or they will come after you. They hate America. They hate the flag. They hate freedom.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Outing yourself again. The infamous “they hate America.. the flag... freedom.” Stereotyping an entire religion. Including, presumably, an Islamic American. What a piece of work.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Yep I have met this type of person many times. It's always the same lines.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. RIP

Feb 2, 2015

That dang coward. FIRE DANNY!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. rump74

rump74 GC Legend

Dec 18, 2009
    Just get out of the way and let the Feminists eat the Menstruaters.
    If the world is going to start retroactively applying guilt for a prehistoric practice that infected every continent throughout an eon, then Islam will end up at the top of that list. Farther down will be Native Americans, Mexicans, black Americans who repatriated to Liberia......The list is exhaustive and perhaps endless. Its not a plague of white, Western Civilization - its a plague almost as old as the species.
    Its virtue signaling to facilitate the release of dopamine. Tune in to the FB Live stream when addicts are decapitating the Sitting Bull Monument and watch the thumb-ups and heart emotes float in to binary ether.

• Like Like x 4
  12. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Geeze... I forgot Too Hot was this, well, robust.

We might be ending the chant, but what I learned long ago is: If ya ain't a Gator your Gator bait. The getting your ass beat on the field Gator bait!

Go Gators.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Junior

May 9, 2020
    The KKK has been replaced with online racist forums in which the majority of the membership does not meet in person. And there have been several such people who have posted here in the past. It was obvious by their posting history.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorbill

gatorbill VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Franklin NC
    I am at a loss here. I don't believe I even commented on this topic.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Did you study math or formal logic? (I love this post.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You forgot apple pie.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The Yale name is not going to change, even thought it should since the man it was named after was a no kidding slave trader. The Yale brand is one of the most elite brands in the world. It would cost them millions if not billions if they changed the name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    A number of us here had no clue that “Gator Bait”.... the chant, the band lead in, the hand motions.... had anything to do with ANYTHING other than wanting the Gator team on the field to kick the snot out of the Tigers-Dawgs-Dogs-Elephants-Rebs-Nolies-Chickens-Cats-Vols-WHATEVER whom we happened to be playing that day. Societies, cultures, and languages change over time...and what was accepted “back then” might not be viewed in a humorous or permissible light centuries or even decades later. In some cases, terms and expressions were once commonplace and absolutely acceptable because of “the time”...and there might not have been even a hint of outrage “back then”. I get that, and I am guessing that most people here do, as well.

The problem in my mind is the suggestion that we should be dutifully horrified and apologetic that we - today’s successors to “back then” - are not groveling and begging for mercy as our punishment is determined.

I agree with Vaxcardinal’s suggestion that NOW, all of a sudden, we should be horrified, embarrassed, and even ashamed of .... well.... everything that is not acceptable today.

And (sic) what is infuriatingly outrageous to me is that Pres. Fuchs’s statement - despite his qualification about there being no indication that anyone at UF has ever intended to be bigoted by yelling “Gator Bait” at opposing teams - HAS, in fact, essentially accused generations of Gator fans of doing EXACTLY THAT.

“Offensive” is not a strong enough word.

it is offensive to be told that what we yelled and cheered about for decades is, in fact, rooted in racism and that we “should have known better”. Oh, there is plenty of “evidence” showing (suggesting?) that huge chunks of the rationale for said accusations are rooted in debatable photos and news articles. No matter. It was wrong. We should have known it was wrong. Now we should apologize. Anything that was not mentioned in the Criser Hsll statement?... no worries... they reserve the right to take other measures to properly make up for our missteps and racism that were not addressed this time.

But (sic) it all comes back to the same thing:
    1) We are trying to view the past through the lens of the present.
    2) My family and I - and a whole bunch of other Gators out there - are being accused of being racist, bigoted fans.

Lawrence Wright clearly had no clue that an expression spoken in the passion of victory - and which, we now know, had even been used before that - would be viewed and judged with so much holier-than-thou posturing that any discussion other than obedience and self-flagellation would just be unacceptable. Neither did we fans.

The statement accompanying Pres. Fuchs’s decision was, I believe, worded as it was intentionally... to make fans so horrified at the suggested accusation that we would not dare object. Yes, it “is over now”. But it will not END here.

Time marches on. Things change. Lots of horrible - truly despicable - things have been done and said in the past... some are still taking place today. Not only can we not rewind the tape - we have no freaking clue what types of expressions or images from today will be viewed and judged with utter disdain 100 years from now. That is what happens when one views the past through the lens of the present.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Not a hill worth dying on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. dflll1216

dflll1216 Junior

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida’s Space Coast
    Perhaps not to you.

This American is getting fed up that every single thing that CAN be twisted into something ugly is, in fact, being so twisted. The worst is almost always assumed these days - there is damn-near zero room for healthy discussion and disagreement without there being a final verdict of right-wrong... good-bad... worthy-unworthy...... innocent-guilty.

Standing up for something is not a “hill worth dying on” to some and is absolutely worth the fight to others. That decision is not necessarily an indication of “good or bad”. Sometimes the discussion results in the people on both sides still being good people.... but just disagreeing. That used to be viewed as “healthy”.

Trying to return to THAT more open-minded ... but STILL principled ... mindset just might be “a hill worth dying on”.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1