Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UPDATE: “Gator Bait” chant no longer will be used.

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slocala, Jun 13, 2020.

1. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    At the risk of the FBI knocking on my door any minute now, can I ask a crazy question to the crowd? Why is being anti fascism and anti hate groups a bad thing? Why is that considered a terrorist act yet the the hate groups themselves are allowed to operate and congregate?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06

Aug 30, 2014
    You're digging a hole. here is no reasonable argument to be made in defense of using the image.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    There is nothing wrong with the aim. The group is known to undertake more extreme and illegal actions than can be described as lawful, peaceful protest. Extremes on both sides are a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Peaceful Naziism and white supremacy are problems. Legal. But ideas have their own power.

5. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Hey Guess what!! Gators have attacked and killed many human beings.. So maybe we should call ourselves "Lizards" ... Then "lizard bait" doesn't sound do bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    So it's fine when they violently attack whoever they deem a fascist because they are against Nazis or whatever? You realize that not everyone they have attacked was saying heil Hitler at the time, right? Many were just bystanders or even journalists. If you are going to denounce violence by groups like the proud boys, KKK or whoever then it should be universally denounced by all groups. Antifa says that Nazi Germany would have never happened if people would have fought back, but the brown shirts of the Nazi party went around attacking people to intimidate them into supporting the party. The Bolsheviks were the same way as they attacked average citizens to strengthen support for the revolution. We are a democracy and we talk through our problems then make decisions by majority support at the polls, not by having huge violent brawls in the streets between extremist groups. This crap where people minimize Antifa and similar groups has to stop as it's not who we are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    How do you sleep at night?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    yes, antifa is just like a nice neighborhood book club or maybe a zen garden...calm and relaxed and bringing peace and love wherever they go.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't know man. Only one way to find out. Btw is this the only thing you ever yelled at games? Just curious since the alternative for you is to just sit down and be quiet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Super fresh take!

11. 14serenoa

14serenoa Living in Orange and surrounded by Seminoles... Premium Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Why not just yell 'CHOMP' when doing the chomp...vs gator bait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    @gatorbill - Until someone answers the question : :p

13. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Not a horrible idea

14. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Seems to me Antifa is not an organized group, but a "movement". Since they are not organized, you will have people identifying as antifa but with different ideas of how to get their point across. Some are non violent and some are. KKK, white nationalists, etc are organizations. Either way, extremists are not a good thing for our country.

Antifa (United States) - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    UN Shares Antifa Flag, Tells U.S. It Has Right to 'Peaceful Assembly'

Saw this article pop up on my Facebook feed. As I’ve stated many times, I try and keep an open mind and at the very least try to hear both sides. I know the source is as far right propaganda as it gets, which is why I found the article even more intriguing. Zero confirmed events actually listed in this article as to what ANTIFA has done one US soil. Just more suspicion and speculation. You’d think if ANTIFA really was raging war on the nation, the article wouldn’t leave out any details.

The only actual examples have been in Europe. So again, why is OUR president so fixated on ANTIFA and why haven’t European leaders been as outspoken as he has when their countries are legitimately impacted?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thinking on this, maybe you guys are right. Maybe Trump knew full well that the downward-facing red triangle was used by Nazis to mark political prisoners, something I would not have recognized. Maybe he was intentionally invoking that in his Tweet against ANTIFA. If he did know this and intentionally made a connection, then scoot over and give me a seat on your train. That would be unacceptable and I would never support it.

I have visited three different Nazi concentration camps. They were deeply moving experiences, especially Auschwitz. Reading about the camps or watching something on television about them is not the same as standing in the middle of one and visualizing the horror that occurred there. I have a brick from one of the buildings at Auschwitz II as a reminder of the depths of depraved inhumanity that human beings can commit against their fellow human beings. I would never support invoking Nazi symbols against someone.

I think the reason you have accused me of defending the President for using Nazi symbols is that we were on two different paths. I was discussing what constitutes “Nazi imagery” and can the mere fact that a symbol was used be classified as recognizable imagery tied to them. This has implications to other symbols besides Nazi ones. You were on a different path in having already accepted that it was Nazi imagery, so I can understand your reaction.

I was posting in the context of the thread we’re in: finding hidden meaning in “Gator Bait.” I was discussing how far do we dig to make Nazi associations. I've yelled the Gator Bait cheer without the slightest thought of a possible horrid practice from the past. In the same way I've never looked at red triangles and associated them with concentration camp prisoners. In Trump’s case the association was obvious to you but it was not to me, hence the discussion. In the broader sense I am concerned that we are putting every aspect of our culture under a microscope in order to find something with which to be offended.

I do have a good supply of crazy pills and have been known to pop them once in a while. Just ask my wife! :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that chant offended nobody (from a racial perspective). Only now have people been told that they should be offended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. njg8tor2003

njg8tor2003 Junior

May 9, 2020
    True but now that they learned we are stuck. I wonder if this was a troll who started this while thing.

Maybe it could come back in a few years but I doubt it.

19. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just my opinion, as I stated in post #19 of this thread I was completely unaware that the chant had any racial implications at all. Having read the linked articles and researched the issue, while I think it's an urban legend apparently the notion that young black children and babies were literally used as "gator bait" has a long history (I guess I was oblivious being a white guy who was not intimately familiar with the dark racist side of Southern culture), banning the chant is the right decision even though I still have to admit that I will miss the tradition.

• Agree Agree x 3