Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

University Says Florida GOP Candidate Faked College Degree She Posed With

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Aug 12, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Now let's see if she can actually win.

Howard admits to lying about degree but says she won’t quit race

State House candidate Melissa Howard admitted Monday that she lied about having a degree from Miami University, apologized and declared she intends to stay in a race that has drawn national attention after it came out she was displaying a fake diploma and had gone to great lengths to deceive people about her college credentials.

“I would like to apologize to my family and my supporters for this situation,” Howard said in a statement. “It was not my intent to deceive or mislead anyone. I made a mistake in saying that I completed my degree. What I did was wrong and set a bad example for someone seeking public service. I am staying in the race and intend to win and lead by example from now on.”

Howard did not address the question about how she obtained a diploma stating she has a degree in marketing from Miami University, a degree the school doesn’t even offer. Howard’s admission means there is now no question the diploma is a fake, but it’s unclear who forged the document.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    “I would like to apologize to my family and my supporters for this situation,” Howard said in a statement. “It was not my intent to deceive or mislead anyone. I made a mistake in saying that I completed my degree. What I did was wrong and set a bad example for someone seeking public service. I am staying in the race and intend to win and lead by example from now on.”

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    LOL. I'm glad you pointed that out. I glossed over it the first time. It wasn't her intent to deceive or mislead anyone? That was literally the intention of you forging the degree. Can't even avoid lying in her apology (which was directed only to her supporters and family lol). :emoji_upside_down:

• Like Like x 1
  4. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    She would make a good politician.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    She made the biggest mistake that all great liars know not to do: Admit the Lie.

Right Donnie?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So she literally posed with a diploma she didn’t earn, and says she didn’t intend to deceive?
    Just for fun, someone should ask her what her intent was. Would be an interesting answer.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    “It was not my intent to deceive or mislead anyone."

Now she's guilty of plagiarism. She stole that straight from Urban Meyer.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    She looks smoking hot... err... honest to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    What are the odds that Trump picks her for a cabinet position over the next few months?

10. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    WHY? Let's hear this one?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    She meant to say "didn't" ... "I didn't earn a degree" ... so, I think that clears everything up.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    I don't think he's online to reply to your inquiry, but it's evident the worth of a degree from Louisiana's flag ship university is diminished due to inadequate funding and cuts to educational funding.

www.businessreport.com/politics/lsu-degree-tuition-fees

If we’ve learned anything over the past decade about higher education in Louisiana it’s this: The state no longer views what’s going on inside LSU’s inspiring halls—the ones shaded by those stately oaks and broad magnolias—as critical to its intellectual and economic future. Certainly not as important as all those corporations, plants and businesses—including rare coin dealers and sellers of antique airplanes—that rack up some $5 billion annually in corporate welfare from the state.

We know this because LSU’s state funding has been cut 16 times since the 2009 dawn of “The Louisiana Miracle,” otherwise known as the Bobby Jindal administration. That, in dollars and cents, is a whack of some $141 million, or more than 53%. The situation isn’t much better under Gov. John Bel Edwards and our current crop of state legislators.

Fair enough, but given the present-day view that LSU is little more than a user-funded, job training facility with a good football team and a cute, new live mascot, then the Ole War Skule needs to start charging based on the value of its degrees.

No longer do we hear about the molding of mankind, the greater glory or the ground-breaking research that will perhaps make life easier—and healthier—for us all. Instead we’re bombarded with reports on how much an LSU graduate earns and how little debt he or she carries.

Students question value of degrees from canceled programs

Students question value of degrees from canceled programs

As University degree programs are placed on the chopping block, some students are questioning their academic and professional futures.

Students currently enrolled in the degree programs at risk of termination have been told that, if eliminated, they will be able to complete their degree path and graduate in that subject. But how much will a degree from an eliminated program be worth?

"Students will have to say, ‘I have a degree from a program that has been cut,'" Michelle Massé, director of Women's and Gender Studies, said Feb. 15. "It does, indeed, diminish the value of that degree."

"It makes it seem like the degree wasn't worth the time and energy," said Lainie Clark, business sophomore. "It looks like it's not important enough to keep." Clark said future employers might look into the program's worth.

What's the value of LSU? Ranking lands school high in nation, but not in SEC

Louisiana's flagship school has the highest graduation rate of public universities in the state at 47%, but far below U of VA at 87%.

Both Georgia and Florida rank in the top 10 in value. LSU in the 65th slot is ranked below Auburn and Alabama.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    To all you boys who would "still hit it" - even though she resembles a younger HRC in the photo in the OP?
    Yeah, somebody had to say it. :ninja2: :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. NOLAGATOR

Jun 2, 2014
    As a Louisiana Resident and a graduate of both UF and LSU you don't know :emoji_poop:

Especially in Agriculture, many degrees that existed in when I graduated no longer exist (That includes UF) Same disciplines have been merged or moved. Citrus and Poultry Science may now be in Food Science. It is extremely expensive to maintain farms, herds, dairies... And if the industries leave the state so does the money and interest.

LSU has a lower graduation rate because it accepts WAY MORE average students than UF. LA also does not have much of a JUCO program. Those kids go to Universities in LA. The State also only has around 4.6 million people and a huge minority population - Not being racial BUT y'all are into that and statistically...

AND again, this is why I greatly reduced my Too Hot Posts.

15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    [​IMG]

Why don’t LSU fans eat barbecue beans?

Because they keep falling through the holes in the grill.

Why do LSU fans like smart women?

Opposites attract. :D:D:D

and...

If two married LSU grads get a divorce, are they still cousins?

Just kidding dude.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. NOLAGATOR

Jun 2, 2014
    :emoji_triumph:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    With her fake diploma she’s a shoe for Education secretary if DeVos leaves.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    LSU came perilously close to "financial exigency" three years ago. That would have completely wrecked the place.

LSU drafting 'academic bankruptcy' plan in response to state budget crisis

They also almost closed the school early in 2016, which would have handed their students all "incompletes."

Read Gov. John Bel Edwards televised speech

And they are losing more and more med students out of the state due to budget cuts.

LSU medical school blames state budget woes for more grads leaving Louisiana

19. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    The quoted segments were not about what I do or do not know. They quoted articles written by people who are more knowledgeable than I and qualified to answer the question you asked. You take unnecessary offense too easily.

J R Ball wrote the first article I quoted. I would say he likely knows whereof he speaks or writes. Go tell him he doesn't know feces if you don't like what he wrote.

www.nola.com/business/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2013/06/jr_ball_named_news_manager_of.html

JR Ball, currently executive editor of the Baton Rouge Business Report, will become news manager of NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune's news operation in Baton Rouge.

In addition to editing Business Report, Ball has also served as associate publisher of 10/12 Magazine, a quarterly business publication covering the 10/12 economic corridor.

He has won numerous national and state awards for his stories and columns, including being named Columnist of the Year in 2012 by The Alliance of Area Business Publications.

A native of Baltimore, Ball attended LSU. He is the father of two children and is also actively involved with the development of youth lacrosse in Baton Rouge. He is co-founder of the Mustang youth lacrosse program, serving as director of coaching.

20. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    She dropped out. I'm guessing some higher up in the GOP clued her in that she wasn't good for the party.

Melissa Howard reverses course, drops out of race after degree scandal

A day after saying she planned to continue running for a state House seat despite revelations that she lied about having a degree from Miami University and went to great lengths to deceive people, Melissa Howard reversed course Tuesday and dropped out of a contest that has received national attention.

Howard said in a text message to the Herald-Tribune that “I have come to the realization that the right thing to do for my community is to withdraw from the race. I will do so today.”