Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Unique restaurants that you have visited

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorGrowl, Feb 20, 2018.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No but we did take the tram up and I ran off the side of the mountain and did the tandem paraglide the base. The afternoon winds off the glacier across the bay kept us aloft for over 30 minutes. They hit the mountain and create some great updrafts

Not me but same place

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]Nepenthe-big sur

• Like Like x 1
  3. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That same trip we also ate at two places that no longer exist for different reasons.

Lutece was the premier french restaurant in NYC for about 25 years(that mantle taken by Le Circ afterwords) and we had our 20th anniversary dinner there. The night before we had late drinks and snacks at Window on the World at the top of the World Trade Center:(:(:(:(:mad:

The food at one was spectacular and the view at the other was likewise.

4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a good place to try in Gulfport near the beach called Shoo Fly Inn. They serve Cajun food, and put a plastic housefly on every meal.

5. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember a Mongolian hot pot restaurant in Kaohsiung, Taiwan that is no longer in business. The food was unusual enough, with food being boiled in a strange dish with a chimney in it and a fire below, but the atmosphere was really strange. You ate in a tent with sheep milling about outside the tents. The animals, of course, were on the menu. You had to wade through them to get to your tent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Your culinary experience in Mongolia reminds me of one we had in France, a little less exotic, but memorable nonetheless. Back in the 80's, before the tunnel under the English Channel, we arrived in Calais off the hovercraft from England, and rented a car. It was Sunday; banks were closed. We had no Francs - don't ask. :mad: Negotiating toll roads was challenging. Some now retired toll taker has probably never forgotten Trucker.:D Once we were on the local roads in Normandy we started looking for a restaurant that had a 'Visa' sign. Credit cards, we had. We came across a small restaurant that had one so pulled in and went inside. It looked like something you might picture from before WWII, small, low ceilings, no frills. Country, country French.

I needed to use a restroom so using guidebook French inquired for les toilettes. I was directed out the back door and into a chicken yard where a dozen or so birds were pecking around, and pointed in the general direction of another smaller building - an outhouse, looking like something from before WWI. When I returned to the table in the restaurant I told Trucker I was having one of the egg dishes on the menu as they were surely fresh. The omelette was delicious.

7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Gasthof in Minneapolis is a fun German restaurant. They give you a snuff after the meal and you just might dance with the polka band in the bar downstairs.
    [​IMG]

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Whenever I get up north to visit my Mom in Mt Laurel, NJ, I try to make several stops...

The Manor in West Orange, NJ.. a five diamond rated place. I could spend two pages on this place alone! They have the main dining room, a medieval wrought iron and mahogany dining room, plus can have four weddings going on at the same time, and you would NEVER know it!

The Ram's Head Inn, Absecon, NJ... Run by the same people, with the same standards as the Manor, with Lobster up to 7 lbs.!

In NYC, just north of the theater district on 46th and 9th, is Frankie and Johnny's Steakhouse.

Walk up the traditional VERY steep and narrow stairs, but take your time to look at the pictures... You'll see movie stars, old and new, Presidents, Sports Stars,etc. ALL who have, or still do dine there!

The waiters, in tuxedos, are in their 60's or 70's, but efficient. I always order the bone-in ribeye, which hangs over the large oval plate!

Steve's Pier One, Bayville, Long Island... Reserve a waterfront table for sunset over the Sound .. Walk over a footbridge and choose your lobster, King Crab, or Snow Crab, all swimming in a slowly moving stream under your feet!

After you've been seated,
    the sommelier will get your wine from a 3 story sunken wine cellar

Your "pickies" at your table is hot bread with two warm cheese crocks, a relish tray with celery, carrots, radishes and olives... also are a bowl of cole slaw and the BEST marinated mushrooms! (Yes, they'll give you ample time to nosh and watch the sunset)

There's plenty more I could get into. As a Certified Executive Chef and Country Club Manager, I used to take my staff to those places, and others like the Four Seasons and Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia to train them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  9. gnvgator

gnvgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    THANX PEGEEN!
    [​IMG]

Clarks Fish Camp on Julington creek. Cracker Jax :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Cattleman's Steak in Fabens, Texas. I haven't eaten there in over 35 years, but would love to go back again . It's located in the desert around 30 miles east of El Paso. Ate their several times when I was at Ft. Bliss. Incredible steaks and scenery to match. The restaurant is located on a working ranch and the area around the ranch has been used in the sets for a number of movies.

[​IMG]

One of the steaks

The surrounding area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Carolina Smokehouse just outside Cashiers in NC is a BBQ place I enjoyed years ago and Alton Brown took time to feature it on one of his Motorcycle dining tour episodes, haven't made the trip in a while but it was really good

http://www.thecarolinasmokehouse.com/

12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  13. Gil_the_Gator

Gil_the_Gator Junior

Sep 9, 2014
    Alligator Underground
    The Haunted Hamburger in Jerome, Arizona. AMAZING burgers and a great view if you dine outside. Jerome is an old west mining town built on the side of a mountain. Many of its businesses are claimed to be haunted.

http://thehauntedhamburger.com

14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Been there on a day trip from Sedona. Great little hippy/artist town when we were there.

15. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

There are several small seafood shacks in and around the town of Calabash, NC.

They pride themselves in fresh caught fish, in-season soft shell crab, and crab cakes.

The difference is the cooking style.

It's dipped in miljy egg wash, then dredged in seasoned flour, THEN dipped in a floury, seasoned egg batter, and dropped into a deep fryer, so everything that drips along with whatever is being fried makes these "cracklins" from the batter!

Pretty freaking good!

16. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Awesome picture. We used to go by boat but havent been in a few years. Menu was crazy. You could get turtle, snake, quail, and almost anything. There were always a few real gators swimming by the docks.