Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Unique restaurants that you have visited

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by GatorGrowl, Feb 20, 2018.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Pattis's 1880's Settlement
    We have only gone one time and it was when the kids first moved in the area.

https://www.pattis1880s.com/

It is about 50 miles from here in Grand Rivers Ky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it caught fire earlier this year and are rebuilding. It is located on I24 close to Paducah, KY

• Like Like x 4
  2. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Beautiful restaurant. I would eat there. Hopefully it can be rebuilt to something like the original.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Das Kehlsteinhaus

[​IMG]

The former Nazi retreat is situated high in the Bavarian Alps above the town of Berchtesgaden. Maintained by the German government for its history, it is now privately operated as a restaurant. Food is nothing special but view is spectacular.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    My favorite New Orleans restaurant is The Court of Two Sisters. The brunch is fabulous.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    I think the on
    Only part with severe damage was the kitchen. They started the following day on remodel

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Lüchow's in NYC was another memorable place that is no more. It was located in lower Manhattan in the district known as the East Village. The restaurant was a huge place that ran front to back from 14th Street to 13th Street, a restaurant of considerable size for Manhattan. We ate there a couple of times in the 70's before it closed due to declining business.

The decor was dark and heavy with lots of carving in the old German style. It was furnished in the style popular during New York's Gilded Age of the late 19th century. Cuisine was typically German but the sauerbraten was superb. A side dish of pureed chestnuts was delicious, too. All sorts of beer flowed freely and music was provided by a lederhosen clad oompah band.

Due to location the restaurant's owner made the decision to move it north, thinking to increase business near the theater district. Terrible decision. Lüchow's attraction was not its food. It was the unique interior and atmosphere. It failed within 2 years of the move after being in business for 102 years.

A 1904 postcard picture of one of the dining rooms. Chandeliers were gas lit.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    NYC's Tavern on the Green in Central Park was another restaurant passing I was going to lament, but in looking online for information about the restaurant I was delighted to find it reopened in 2014 after being closed for 5 years. It has a storied past, with the original structure being a sheepfold in the Sheep Meadow portion of the Park.

https://www.tavernonthegreen.com/history/

Originally designed by Calvert Vaux, Tavern on the Green was built as a sheep fold in the 1880’s to house the 700 Southdown sheep that grazed in Central Park’s Sheep Meadow. Robert Moses transformed the building in to a restaurant in 1934, as part of his park renovation. Through the next few decades, Tavern underwent several changes in management, but the iconic view of the park, and the addition of a dance floor, outdoor seating, and lavish menu, kept prominent actors, musicians, and public figures coming back to the restaurant to dine, drink, and celebrate.

After a hiatus starting in 2009, the city searched diligently for a new operator to reopen the iconic restaurant in 2013. The city selected current owners and restauranteurs Jim Caiola and David Salama, previously of Philadelphia, who would bring a fresh, welcoming approach to Tavern. The duo renovated the restaurant with inviting décor and wood paneling reminiscent of the original sheep fold, and, with a seasonal menu more reflective of Greater New York, reopened Tavern on the Green in April 2014.

The restaurant has been used as a location in scenes from the following movies:

An Unmarried Woman (1978)
    It’s My Turn (1980)
    Arthur (1981)
    Only When I Laugh (1981)
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    Heartburn (1986)
    Wall Street (1987)
    Arthur 2 (1988)
    Beaches (1988)
    Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
    Stella (1990)
    Whispers in the Dark (1992)
    The Night We Never Met (1993)
    The Out-of-Towners (1999)
    It Had to be You (2000)
    Hall of Mirrors (2001)
    Made (2001)
    Alfie (2004)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Angelo & Vinci's Restaurant in downtown Fullerton Ca. Food is average, but you can spend hours just looking at all the decorations inside.
    upload_2018-2-20_16-18-25.png

9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The old Spanish Sugar Mill in Deleon Springs is nice. You cook your own pancakes in a state park. I know the woman who has the contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_ch

gator_ch VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Chattanooga
  11. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I ate at Momma Leone's in NYC way back when. I believe it is closed now. The food just kept coming and remember it being really good.

12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tavern on the Green closing and then re-opening reminded me of a place in Tucson. Saguaro Corner, which is on the far east end of town, backing up to Saguaro National Forest East. Not uncommon to be seated at a window seat and see a gila monster, javalina family, or an occasional roadrunner. About 15 years ago, the place was stale with an outdated 70s vibe and closed. But someone bought it, updated it, and now it's a cool place to eat again.

[​IMG]

13. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    I can't remember the name but there was a crazy restaurant in OKC that had a "Alice in Wonderland" theme.

14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Duggans on St. Croix. Love their fresh grilled lobster. Pull the cage up out of the ocean and pick your lobster out of what was caught and delivered that day. Shoes are optional. Every trip to St. Croix requires lobster and a bushwhacker or 3 at Duggans

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Not full restaurant but there is a teahouse up above Lake Louise in Alberta on the Plain of Six Glacier hike where everything has to be backpacked or horse packed up to it. Great desserts and incredible views

16. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been to restaurants all over the country, so many in big cities, small towns.....and while there have been so many great and fun ones, there is no doubt the greatest and coolest restaurants in America are located in New Orleans.

I’d put 15 or so on this list from that town alone.

From location, to menus, to history..... here are a few absolute must sees in NOLA.....

Blind Pelican
    Parkway Tavern
    Jacques Imos
    Pascual Manale’s
    Mandinas
    Cochon Butcher
    Port of Call
    Willie Mae’s
    Mahoney’s
    Felix’s (maybe my favorite restaurant in Amerixa)
    Domilise’s

I’m not even exaggerating listing 11 places as my favorite/unique/insanely wonderful ones in the country, and they are all located in about a 5 mile radius.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Double Musky Inn in Girdwood Alaska is Cajun cooking meets Alaskan game. Great food, small place, reservations required

Chef published a cook book on Amazon

• Like Like x 1
  18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    We've eaten there. And you're right about the food and restaurant's size. Thanks for the info on the cook book.

@G8trGr8t ~ Also in Girdwood is Seven Glaciers at the Alyeska ski resort. Have you eaten there?

Access is by way of a sky tram up the side of the mountain. Great food and panoramic views. I had my 60th birthday dinner there with Trucker, our son and his family.

Seven Glaciers Restaurant
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seven Glaciers is a recipient of the 2017 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence! This award is given to restaurants that demonstrate a deep commitment to their wine programs, both in the depth of what they offer and the service with which it is presented. Take a look at our wine list and pairings, learn more about the Wine Spectator Award, and make a reservation.

About Seven Glaciers
    Seven Glaciers is Alyeska Resort’s AAA Four Diamond award winning mountain-top luxury restaurant. Offering signature Alaskan entrees in an elegant atmosphere, the Seven Glaciers experience is extraordinary from start to finish. Your journey begins with a scenic aerial tram ride that takes you high above The Hotel Alyeska to 2,300 feet above sea level. From this mountain-top perch, Seven Glaciers is surrounded by nature from every direction. This means that every table features panoramic glacier and ocean views.

19. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    The mention of Felix's had me looking it up to see if there were other locations.There is one in Gulfport, Mississippi, but that one wasn't the one that came to mind. We've eaten at a place called Felix's Fish Camp on Mobile Bay just east of the Bankhead Tunnel. Great food most of the time but sometimes service has a night off. According to the websites for the restaurants there is no connection between the 2 Felixes in New Orleans and Gulfport and the one on Mobile Bay. Just the similarity in their names.

We roll through there on our way to Texas several times a year. Will try to hit Gulfport near lunch time or dinner time next time we head that direction.

20. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville
    Never made it to Mama Leone's but happened to be in New York one year during the San Gennaro festival in Little Italy. Incredible array of food from vendors representing scores of Italian restaurants in NYC. We ate our way up one side of Mulberry Street and down the other.

[​IMG]