Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Under new Trump tax code, average refund is 8.4 percent smaller

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Feb 11, 2019.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I bet it still doesn't fit on a postcard either.

Under new Trump tax code, average refund is 8.4 percent smaller

The first tax season with President Donald Trump's new tax plan is under way and it’s off to a disappointing start for early filers. The average refund this year is down 8.4 percent, to $1,865, for the week ending Feb. 1, according to data from the Internal Revenue Service.

Americans also don’t seem to be eager to get a jump start on their taxes. The total number of returns received for the first official week of tax season was 16.04 million. That’s down 12.4 percent from the first week of last year’s tax season.

Early filers, who were expecting bigger refunds after the White House promised a $4,000 “raise” under the Trump tax plan, vented their frustrations on Twitter, using the hashtag #GOPTaxScam.

... the plan, which Trump said would simplify the tax code, also got rid of many deductions working class Americans relied on to lower their tax bill, such as home equity loan interest, moving expenses and certain job costs, including licensing and regulatory fees.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    This was one of the worst tax plans ever devised. Rich get richer. Average Joe (and poor) get poorer. Not sure why lemming Pubs go along. I assume it’s ignorance of the facts?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If this holds, and refunds are smaller this year, and it's because more money is being paid in taxes rather than less being withheld for taxes, you really can't blame people for believing what they were told. Taxes are too complicated for most people to bother going through trump's tax plan and seeing if he was telling them the truth or not. They took him at his word, and at the end of this tax season they'll find out if he was telling the truth or not - or at least they'll know for sure if their refund was more or less.

Regardless, this start is not a good look for the trump tax plan.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The amount extra I got back per paycheck is about identical to what I gave up in my refund because of lost dedeuctions, within a few hundred dollars.
    So if I am representative, we blew out the deficit for a bait and switch. More Washington awesomeness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. obgator

obgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    They like to be trick(l)ed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Many of them know better but can't admit it. There's a psychological imperative to maintain the illusion.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I know you guys are eager to trash any and everything Trump does, but how about we give this a another couple of month's to see the actual true numbers. Several my employees have already filed and was bragging how much their getting back

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I have seen these articles floating around and it just proves that people are morons. Even setting aside the fact that taxes are kinda complicated, though not so much that the average person who takes the standard deduction can't go on the web and get a quick and pretty accurate estimate from multiple sites. It's just common sense that if you pay less in overall your refund is likely to be smaller. Too many people think of refunds as some kind of bonus from the government or something. But then some of the media outlets are playing this up like it's some kind of broken promise from the administration rather than laziness on the part of the taxpayer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Data from only one week in to the tax season is a pretty small sample to be used to draw any reasonable conclusions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Because conservative pols pretend like they care about social issues like abortion so they can get the lemmings to line up to vote for their tax cuts.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    The sample was over 13 million.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The bulk of the tax cut went to the rich and corporations. That’s a fact.

However, your refund doesn’t indicate how much taxes you paid due to withholdings. Feels like an incomplete story that Pubs are famous for running with. Come on Dems.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. busigator96

busigator96 Hooked since summer 1997!

Apr 10, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    The tax breaks went to the large corporations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Incomplete is a good word choice. NTL, an 8.4% decrease based on over 13m returns should raise an eyebrow a bit given that it's on the heels of the tax cut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Thanks, but still a pretty small sample.

16. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    You're welcome. Gonna have to disagree though, 13m is a massive sample even if it's a small percentage of all tax returns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    A small percentage of all taxes is still a small sample.

18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Accurate, but implicitly it means that the impact of the tax cut insofar as average taxpayers are concerned was greatly exaggerated. Withholding was reduced, presumably based a computer algorithm used by the IRS, on the assumption of a reduced tax liability. The problem for those taxpayers experiencing either a reduced refund or even a liability for taxes as the result of insufficient withholding is that the tax cut didn't have the promised impact. Should be interesting to see how this affects Trump's popularity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Gotta disagree. The percentage is far less relevant to the sample size for measurement purposes. A sample of 13m out 150m tax filers, or even if we used the entire population of Americans, roughly 325m, would give us a margin of error that is effectively indistinguishable from zero. But we shall see in a few months how it plays out.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    A large refund from the IRS after filing your return only shows one thing: That you were foolish to let the IRS withhold more money than your tax liability. That extra money withheld is a waste. I wonder how many people who get a few thousand $ back in a refund are not fully investing in their company’s 401K, where that same money could have been matched at 50% plus been working for them all year long.

Disengenuous, politically slanted article. This writer chooses to write a political piece instead of helping people better manage their money.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1