Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Umpire just became the worst of all time

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by RealGatorFan, Feb 18, 2020.

1. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    There was a pretty good article from the HC of the player who got ejected. He stated that as a team they actual focus on a routine to clear the last pitch so to speak. When a call goes against you have a routine to flush it and move on. He said some guys will step out and unvelcro their batting glove, others will remove their helmet and take a deep breath, all done as a way to remember the previous pitch, swing or strike is over. I am pretty sure he said this player has made this motion before as a way to "swipe away" the previous pitch.

I have no clue if he is correct or not as I do not watch Michigan play any. If he is correct and the player has done this before and not been ejected it is pretty petty of this ump when others have not taken issue with the "swipe".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach Erik Bakich not making too much of Michigan baseball's 'unexpected' No. 1 ranking

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I bet everyone knows your name.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Just wait till we go to automated strike zone…(I may quit watching btw..)

"The BEEP LIED!!!...."

5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I don’t believe in umps, refs, and officials being protected above everything.

This makes them prone to corruption.

The same way a player can be ejected, a higher authority should eject a ref for screwing up.

The threat of public humiliation, financial consequences, etc. will certainly elevate accountability and performance among umpires, refs, etc. They are there on their own free will. You want to be part of this? Perform. Just like in any other job or profession.

6. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A "higher authority", impartial of course, at every game to eject umpires. Think about what you're proposing.
    Public humiliation and financial fines? Brilliant.
    Good officials are difficult to find now. Come on...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just had dinner with several veteran umps, most college guys.....the consensus was that the ejection was uncalled for. Ump being to thin skinned and making it more about him than the game.

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    move watched it 25 times. I’ve listened to plenty that played and umpired and all agree at best a warning could occur. This is a blatant overreaction. Guys on the MLB network were shocked. Michigan’s Coach, who is a very classy guy, was heated. Most that have umpired would say just as it was said to me...mistake, overreaction, bad day. Take your pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Absolutely correct. Umpiring should never be about “look at me”.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    the best umpires I’ve worked with, seen, and talked to never took that stance. They communicated with players and coaches. Umpires have plenty of discretion. The best do not have rabbit ears and aren’t “looking for things”. The best think about which mountaintops they want to climb to the top of and yell in other words they pick and choose their battles. Those that don’t get a bad reputation and are not respected. I won’t say anymore. I saw an 18 year old that clearly did not draw a line. “Baseball people” including some umpires agree this was an overreaction.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I know you are just bs ing. Knowing that you probably are not stupid I’m saying you are just having fun.

12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’ve been tossed by better umps than you. But they got some really good dialogue from me. You didn’t call games in the North Florida area did ya?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like I'm outnumbered on this one. Looks like you guys are right. Learn something new every day.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Im Sorry for being an azz

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I tried to reply to you on the PM but it would not let me get through. What did I screw up now?

16. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Just throwing this out there as I heard nothing to suggest it.. Any chance there was an "emphasis" given to umps on this type of thing this year??

National tv(sort of), first game, lets set example? I don't think so or they would of probably mentioned it, but I will say this probably has deterred future line drawers, swipe aways, what have you.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’ll say it one more time—

The best umpires are the ones that you don’t remember when you leave the ballpark—they kept a crisp game pace going and the game was the main event—

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. flgatr1

flgatr1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    jacksonville, florida
    Don't see why disagreeing with an umpire is so bad . Think about all the times players and coaches disagree with a call in basketball. You just disagree. He has the final say, but a player should be able to disagree.

• Like Like x 2
  19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Umpires are gods. Not to be questioned.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I have posted several times what I think makes the best umpire—the one that when you’re leaving the park you don’t even remember—

That said, when we look at the different opinions posted here I ask two things—1) We’ve all (other umpires included), seen a batter merely turn and look back in the direction of the umpire after a pitch to see the umpire snatch his mask off and step towards the hitter in a challenging stance—who is the instigator now???

And 2) I am so tired of having to hear a coach or manager have to tell his hitters (who he has worked his tail off trying to teach discipline at the plate) “you’re just going to have to adjust to “his” zone today men—If the umpire maintains that he is merely holding the players accountable to the rule book then why is he allowed to operate with “his” zone rather than the rule book zone (you know, the one that is accountable)—the same principles are in effect IMHO when the umpire removes his mask, steps out from behind the plate and walks towards the pitcher because of a gesture or even a spoken word (excluding the player cussing at blue)—

But then, this is just me—

• Like Like x 1