Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Umpire just became the worst of all time

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by RealGatorFan, Feb 18, 2020.

1. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Agreed absurd,, but doing that is a no no in ump circles,, But usually they show up player /warning on first offense. I was watching but cant recall if a earlier incident, so probably not.

I was ejected no warning for making golf swing on low strike call in HS (80s) but was also pitching that day and had a previous disagreements on his zone..lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

Double whammy!! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    There have been several conversations here addressing the issues with ol’blue—it has accurately been pointed out already that the umpires want their TV time and have stretched their ability for said exposure—

I have often mentioned their need for the EGO pills it must take to umpire/referee a game—personally, I wouldn’t want anything to do with wanting to work like that.

I’ll say it again—the best umpires I’ve ever seen are the ones that when you’re leaving the ballpark you don’t even remember—basically they called/monitored the game and let the players decide it—

On a lighter note “Come on blue, we know you’re blind—we’ve seen your wife”—(After all, they’ve earned it:ninja3:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    The golf swing is a classic. No warning really needed on that one lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    But I didnt say a word(at that time) lol I was a mouthy pitcher though..;)

7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    That's one of those "actions speak louder than words" moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I recall him saying something to tune of.."ive had enough of you today" so probably just last straw..;)

9. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree. Obvious ejection.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Kid did nothing wrong. Didn’t draw a line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. PahokeeJoe

Apr 3, 2007
    He swiped his bat inside, indicating to everyone that the pitch was inside. If he held his hand above his head indicating a high pitch, that would be more obvious, and a definite ejection, but to swipe your bat like that is doing the same thing, and any good umpire would eject.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What is good about that? Let's just say the ump has a genuine concern with the player being disrespectful. Go talk to the coach, issue a warning, whatever, but nobody is there to see a player get tossed for what may, marginally at best, be considered a slight at the umpire. It's the first game of the season, and we're in the 9th inning...if you're an umpire, don't steal the show, they didn't come to see you.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. PahokeeJoe

Apr 3, 2007
    If you are an experienced baseball player, or an umpire, you know what is acceptable. Showing the umpire up by outwardly physically showing that his call was wrong, is an immediate
    ejection. Umpires do not warn, especially at that level.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Why assume this is what happened? Who benefits from that? Seriously. Do fans, coaches, administrations want this type of baseball officiating? I doubt it. Are the customers being satisfied with this type of officiating, sometimes people forget what their purpose is.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Lemme guess, you're an umpire?

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    No he didn't. He drug the bat in the back of the batters box perpendicular to the plate.

When Dalton got tossed, he drug the bat across the inside of the plate and was definitely making a point. He also ran his mouth a lot and, iirc, him and that ump had words in another game. He probably still deserved a warning, but if you act like an asshole all the time, you will not get many free passes. This didn't look anything like that at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. PahokeeJoe

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. I have umpired over two thousand games, and I assure you that a good umpire will eject someone who does this every time.

19. PahokeeJoe

Apr 3, 2007
    If you are experienced you KNOW that this is what this player is doing. Who benefits from this ejection? Everyone. Believe me, some players are jerks and will try to get away with whatever they can, will try to show up the umpire, and if allowed to get away with it, will try something else. If it is allowed, it gets worse because other players see the umpire's weakness and then they will take advantage. Then the game would be ruined. You want to watch a game where the umpire is not noticed? Then be glad that most umpires do not put up with this. And generally players learn these lessons years before they reach college, so most fans never see this stuff, especially the ramifications of an umpiring not taking immediate action.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I get your take, I just believe that if an umpire is going to be this presumptuous, he's eventually going to eject somebody that had no business being ejected (perhaps in this Michigan game). The best umpires have thicker skin (it's beneficial to everybody not just in baseball, but in life), and they've earned their respect without having to shove it down anybody's throat. I'd rather see teams (at this level, at least) manage their players' behavior rather than the umpire unless something much more egregious than this takes place. But I appreciate a different perspective.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1