Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

UK will use Huawei 5G

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Jan 28, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Despite intense lobbying from US. This is big. It might have happened anyway, but certainly we were in no position to call in our traditional allies when we have taken every measure to alienate them, especially on trade and security issues.

Britain Defies Trump Plea to Ban Huawei From 5G Network

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    That's a mistake. As much as I dislike Trump, I agree with banning Huawei. China can't be trusted.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Huawei has operated in the UK for almost 2 decades as a "high risk" vendor, although I'd prefer that they were not given the 5G contract. The whole world should be wary of their intentions and @dangolegators is 100% correct, China Cann't be trusted, especially with technology and patents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that this is bad and we should not trust Huawei. I lack the technical background and/or reading to feel confident about opining as to whether the UK had realistic options, was too intertwined, etc. I just know I don't like it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump caved a little on this one, too. His original order was the US companies could not do business with Huawei and their equipment could not be imported or used in the US. He dropped the part about US companies doing business with them, and allowed US companies to act as suppliers. The US IS helping Huawei build network equipment that will be installed all over the world.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This morning's episode of the Intelligence podcast from The Economist has more.

Major takeaways. Huawei will be limited to the periphery of the system, not the core, which British intelligence officials believe will manage the rest. Obviously, I have no technical ability to evaluate that claim. Also, the decision was driven in part by the lack of a Western alternative that is as effective and cheap. China has really eclipsed the West, primarily the USA, in 5G technology.

They went that Huawei: Britain’s crucial 5G call - The Intelligence

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  7. raygravesghost

raygravesghost All American

Aug 13, 2019
    Don't really know enough to opine but it seems like trump's America First attitude isn't very good at convincing anyone to do what he wants...

Trump’s Spectacular Huawei Defeat Confirmed: This Is How He Got U.K. Campaign So Wrong

So where did the U.S. get it so wrong?

Well, first, the claim that U.S. intelligence might fall into China’s hands because it runs over Huawei 5G equipment installed by a commercial cellular company in the U.K. is dismissed by the spooks. Their data does not openly traverse such networks, and its protection is not reliant on the manufacturer of the networking kit. What about all the Chinese-made components in kit from everyone else, in all the endpoints, they say. What about the much wider issue of supply chain security.

Nor do the offensive cyber capabilities sniffing out such data rely on blunt backdoors in commercial software. To make the claim is to mix up offensive cyber risk with the vulnerabilities in Huawei’s software that have been exposed by the U.K. team charged with evaluating Huawei. Such holes can be found in most kit, to some extent, and can be exploited by Russia, Iran and North Korea, not just China. That is a political argument, not a cybersecurity one.

There is also the overlooked encryption factor. Sensitive traffic traversing 5G networks will be encrypted. Most important data is now encrypted. It is difficult for western governments to claim that elements of such encryption make their tasks difficult but that “made in China” networking kit might open all that data to a security risk. It will require more than a clumsy backdoor to detect, intercept and decrypt such data. Again, the politics have trumped the tech, and the experts have said as much.

• Informative Informative x 2