Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UK asst coach swept up in Nike corruption investigation

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Ahab, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Filings suggest Nike paid in pursuit of players

In a text message exchange on July 6, 2017, with an assistant coach at the University of Kentucky -- identified with only the initials KP in records submitted as exhibits in the federal criminal case -- DeBose wrote that he provided money to about 10 Nike EYBL coaches "who are helping families to the total of about 200K annually."

Kentucky has an assistant coach named Kenny Payne. Neither Payne nor Wildcats coach John Calipari could be reached Friday night for comment.

"Do you help people like [an EYBL coach] and [unidentified coach] every year and how many people asked you to help them," the UK coach asked in a text message. "They both are happy u are helping them how many more are their (sic)."

"Those two," DeBose wrote. "And about 10 other brothers. ... about 10 coaches who are helping families to the total of about 200K annually and I still have to meet budget."

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Shoot, wrong forum. Can one of the mods move?

3. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Now, let them start unraveling some of the behind the scenes reasons for Bama’s football recruiting success and watch Sabin consider retirement.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I say it over and over. You do not dominate a field of cheaters without cheating yet so many people say it is sour grapes to claim bama is dirty.

This doesn't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt like some murder trial. There has been enough smoke over the years to start an investigation but that will never happen

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Hell, if they found Bama guilty of something UAB would get put on probation.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Wherever Coach Cal has been, corruption and cheating followed. UMASS and Memphis and now Kentucky. Never thought a basketball blue blood like Kentucky would have to cheat to win. Sad

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    No no no, they get shut down. Alabama has already done a test run...

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    now resides in Nothing But Net :) nice find

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    It seems that Cal has not been getting his money's worth the last 4-5 recruiting cycles.

10. LTG61

LTG61 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    Actually, he has. It's his coaching ability that's the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I don’t think there has been any doubt that there has been significant corruption for years when it comes to recruiting the super elite college basketball players. Heck, the FBI is investigating it. I would have to think that anyone close to college basketball had to have know this.

The real question will be how will the NCAA respond to all of this. Tough to land these elite players without swimming in the cesspool of agents, shoe companies and high level AAU programs. It is hard to believe that the four programs that land most of the elite prospects can swim in that cesspool without getting dirty. Will the NCAA be willing to take the time to peel back all the layers of that onion when it could implicate the blue blood basketball cash cows?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    You're 100% correct sir!

Since 2009, Cal has had the #2 or better recruiting class every year.
    To say he's done less with more is an understatement!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    There is nothing to tie the UK assistant to wrongdoing in the article. He could say that he was wanting to know who was getting paid so he would know who to steer clear of. As much as I would love to see Calipari get in trouble, that article doesn’t show any wrongdoing by UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The NCAA lacks the balls to go after UK (or Dook ) in basketball and Bama in football.

15. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

But, done less than who?

When most people make this statement, can't speak for you, they're really saying he's done less with the talent he's had than others would have done with the talent he's had - which is arbitrary because of the fact that its unlikely these "others" would have had the talent Cal has had.

16. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    As you point out Cal has a long, specific record of leaving programs on probation. That is simply not the case with Saban. While I do believe bama boosters pay players, Saban has no history of putting programs on probation (MSU, LSU or Bama). I think Cal is absolutely right there in running dirty programs with the worst in the business (always seeking personal plausible deniability), as his record shows. Either that or he is willfully ignorant as a head coach running his program by the rules.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe there is no such comparison for underachievement. Perhaps you can run the numbers and list all the coaches who have done less with such embarrassment of recruiting riches.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Sophomore

Sep 25, 2016
    That’s part of it. Mostly, it’s that the NCAA is in on the whole thing. The folks who work for the NCAA like money too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you're going to underachieve, you might as well underachieve with elite talent.

20. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'm asking you/anyone to compare level of achievement. I can see why you chose not to.