Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF's OL this year. No problem.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by filamg8torfan, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think EW plays anyway if he is #2 at his position

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    If he's in 2-deep he'll definitely be playing. If an OL kid is physically ready to play there is really no reason to redshirt him. He's only going to get where he needs to be with game reps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    *Unless there is one injury.

And, last I read...we have two true freshmen on the 2 deep (White and Eguakun). We will absolutely, without fail, be using true freshmen this season on the OL. How much we use them is completely unknown right now.

And another wild card is how in shape Banks is. It appears he stayed in shape over the summer, but if he isn't, then it appears there are 3 true freshmen on the 2 deep.

4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Hevesy likes 8 for depth. We have used as few as 6 in a year, except for garbage time. It will take multiple injuries to get to having to use true freshmen. Banks is conditioned and ready to go. He did not have an injury that had to be rehabbed. It would not be a surprise to see White and Eguakun play because of how well they did in the spring, but they are not the top 8 that have been talked about. They will have to earn it if they want to get more than 4 games. McDowell, Moore and Banks are ahead of true freshmen, so only 2 in the 2 deep.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    I haven't seen McDowell listed in the 2-deep anywhere...the backups right now as I understand it are Banks, Moore, Gouriage, White, and Eguakan?

Edit - according to Hevesy two days ago “The next five behind (the starters) them between Richard (Gouraige), Ethan (White), Tanner (Rowell) and Michael (Tarquin) they’ve all made a lot of progress. T.J. Moore has made a lot of progress,”

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    He could, if he has made huge strides in practice, but I would not guarantee that he will play if Heggie is injured (not unlikely scenario). I think they will slide in Banks or McDowell. The same goes for Buchanan. I think they would slide in Heggie or Bleich and move in Banks or McDowell or Moore rather than rely on Eguakun. JMO.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hard to day without watching the practices but to think we won’t have an injury or two along the way is unlikely. Mullen May be able to keep it at four games but one of those guys could easily break into the rotation.

8. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Yes, it is possible, but most of those guys will play with minor injuries rather than ruin the chemistry of the OL. Ivey played most of his career that way. I just think there will have to be 3 major injuries for a true freshman to play unless they are way ahead of schedule, like Bleich was last year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    McDowell has been working his way back from injury but has put some muscle on his frame while recovering, so I expect he is going to work his way into the 2 deep and top 8 because he is familiar with the offense.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If he is #2 , he’s ahead of schedule. Seeing what the order really is is a whole different story.

11. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, to be a 2 he is just beating out 2 other true freshman who went through spring, so being in the 2 deep now does not mean a whole lot, as illustrated by how bad the 2's were in the spring.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    kryptonite;

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the Inside Board on TOS has allot of posters discussing the strong possibility that Noah Banks may have to give up football. One of the Mods chimed in and said that he is still trying to "firm up" confirmation, but it looks like this may be true.
    There has been discussions for the last couple of days that the medication (an "oil" substance) he has been taking to help with his aliment has had an adverse effect on him because of the Florida heat and humidity.
    Really sucks for him, because I thought Banks would eventually become our first sub in on the OL.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That sucks. Margin for error shrinks considerably if that is the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Yes, read that he may be done. Really bad news, especially because he could play across the line, making him more valuable in injury situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Prayers for him. He’s worked hard. Sucks.

16. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Banks just retired today, so things shift a bit.

Let's see...We're getting down to game week so we'll know the official depth chart soon.

17. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Big shift to me because Banks could have played guard or tackle. This does make me want to see a true freshman show out like Bleich did in practice last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    We will have to play some of the Freshman at least their 4 games this year.

Some may argue but those that really know how smart Mullen is say this.

Sure Dan would like to beat you by 40… But this year will be about playing smart and winning. Style points won’t matter as keeping a starter in to score extra points and risking an injury will not happen with the smart coach like Dan… Second and third teamers will play a good bit if possible and you may even see a preferred walk on or to get some decent minutes.

Which one:
    8-3 with blow out wins or 11-0 going into SEC Championship game??

The second one only happens If

Elam, Hill, Kimbrough, play 20-30 pct of snaps. Marco, CJ and others HAVE to be healthy all year or the first record happens.

Emory Jones-15-20% of snaps. 8-3 reg season without Franks...at best.

White will play this year. Maybe only 4 games but that will help him develop AND give others a rest. Can’t get injured when resting.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Great point...I had overlooked the fact that the freshmen can play 4 games and still redshirt.

I am even more convinced that we see many - if not all (when up big) - true freshmen OL this season.

20. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I guess now its clearer why Coach Mullen signed 7 OL for this year. I figure we see Tarquin and White play most every game and the rest of the freshmen try to play sparingly to redshirt if possible. In my mind Rowell getting a scholly was to shore up depth and try to redshirt as many as we can. Not saying he didn't deserve it just trying to read the tea leaves the coaches leave behind. Eguakun might have to play but I hope he can save the redshirt.

• Agree Agree x 1