Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(UF) Students Sign Petition To Abolish The U.S. Constitution

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Sep 27, 2021.

Would the answers be different outside Anderson?

1. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. LOL are you kidding? Only Marxists are at Anderson.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I felt heartened by the F Joe Biden chant coming from the North end zone Saturday night

My son told me that people were doing it at the Alabama game as well but I didn’t hear it at that game

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    Well gerrymandering is a party animal. No less than Washington himself opposed political parties so I think he'd probably want to put an end to it if he were here to opine. The electoral college is a key component for smaller states to have a seat at the table. I know people don't like it, but this isn't and never has been a democracy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In Federalist No. 68 Alexander Hamilton proposed the Electoral College as a vehicle to prevent the election of a president like Donald Trump. As Hamilton envisioned it the EC would consistent of men (they would have been all male at the time) selected by the states for their intellect and discernment who would not be easily influenced by a charismatic demagogue.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    well, that ship sailed, hit a reef, and is taking on water...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    These things are good for a laugh, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    This explains a lot.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The electoral college in the modern world has led to small states being completely ignored. How often do Presidential candidates visit any small states other than New Hampshire and Nevada, if you want to define them as small? When was the last time there was a general election rally in Vermont? Or Delaware? Or North Dakota? How about advertising? How about people canvassing from the Presidential campaigns? The electoral college ensures that about 10 states rule over the other 40. In practice, it ensures that the Presidential campaign is entirely about the preferences of occasional voters in those states. So you end up with about 1 million non-political people essentially deciding everything for a country of 330 million.

A non-electoral college system would make it so that Democrats may have tried to compete in Utah in 2016 rather than ignoring the historic underperformance of Trump there because winning 40% of the vote is useless. You want to know why there is polarization, it is a big component of why.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    and they could have shown hotter students. Guess none of them traverse Turlington area.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You guys are constantly looking for validation that your ideas are mainstream and therefore 4 drunks in a stadium might be all the validation you need. Welcome. To. Rock. Bottom.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You go there little fella. Don’t consider that Ole Diamond Joe is a miserable failure with numbers so bad it’s a certainty that he has already lost many supporters. Just denigrate the people who are publicly pointing this out as drunks, or stupid, or deplorable, I’m sure you’ve got more

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. CaliGator

CaliGator All American

Apr 29, 2007
    It doesn’t need to be rewritten - it needs to be reread.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Right on, babe. Education can't only occur in school. It takes a village. Perhaps American parents could do a better job teaching their children civics/govt. That may only be wishful thinking, as there are questions about preparation and motivation on the part of the parents (some will). Perhaps government-supported centers (libraries, arts facilities, museums, etc.) could do more to promote knowledge of government and civics. I think it's done quite well in some places (Mt. Rushmore comes to mind). My question would be how could such entities, including schools, make learning of govt/civics relevant, engaging, and meaningful? If some good answers can result from that Q, the teaching of said subjects will improve.