Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(UF) Students Sign Petition To Abolish The U.S. Constitution

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Vindibudd, Sep 27, 2021.

Would the answers be different outside Anderson?

1. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. LOL are you kidding? Only Marxists are at Anderson.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    First, I want to acknowledge that person on the street interviews are generally edited to make the desired point however what made me laugh about this video is that all of these students were interviewed outside of Turlington and not Anderson (where Political Science is and where I spent most of my time) Any of you think the answers would be different if that were the case?

2. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, that's eye opening to say the least.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Interesting perspectives. I shudder to think what a modern day constitutional convention would produce though. Exhibit A: look at what is happening with respect to voter suppression/big lie efforts in some states along with Texas' draconian abortion law. If those students think it is bad now, imagine if the current Trumpist GOP were to write a new constitution. On the other extreme, do we really want the far leftist faction of the D party writing it either?
    A flawed document to be sure. Thankfully provisions were made to amend it as it is not 1789 any more.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Please understand that this student is trying to make a name for herself in the Project Veritas vein. She is a former student of mine so I know her well.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Is she the same one who did the phony beer inflation video?

Seems like it was just a handful of students she kept going back to who want to abolish the Constitution and write a new one. No telling how many she had to interview to get those. Maybe it was just a few, maybe it was dozens or more. Who knows?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Seems that the questions were straight forward and the responses were not coached. Why do some feel the need to question the questioner? I do feel heartened by the answers of the guy in the glasses though.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    We have to stick with the one we've got. It'd be impossible to write a new one today.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The people I know in my life who are most interested in this approach are conservatives. Although, I would say calling it "abolishing" the Constitution is intellectually dishonest.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's not that bad. The Constitution is outdated in many ways. Nothing we can do about it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    That's valid. Those who want it rewritten seemed to want it more inclusive ... they weren't talking about stripping the basic freedoms or anything.

BTW, my guess is that most don't really know what it says.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I thought Chy-na Ron wanted diversity of thought

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    Firstly, I'm just happy that these students even knew what the Constitution is in the first place. Secondly, the petition appears to be unprompted and is leading in my opinion. Like I said in the OP, Man On The Street interviews are just about the most subjective interviews possible. They could get 95 James Madison types and find the five Stalinists and then just roll with those.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    There's just not enough education on the Constitution these days. Everyone wants to frame it in terms of the present day and act like it was written in the same environment. When it was written, these guys were laying the foundation to build the tools to make the gleaming skyscraper that we're enjoying the benefits of. Now people are upset about the wall paper and want to start over from blueprints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't disagree. We would benefit from better civics education during high school or middle school.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Yes, that's her.

• Like Like x 1
  17. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Hey, I can't fight this fight by myself :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The issue is that we aren't using the tools to change it because a whole generation of people worship the document rather than its purpose. We haven't had a Constitutional Amendment in about 30 years and even that one was an old idea. We haven't had a new idea to add to the Constitution for 50 years. The notion that there is no need to change governance in a time period of unprecedented social and technological change is absurd. Prior to 1971, even excluding the initial bill of rights, we used to pass a new amendment every 12 years. Now, we can't even approach necessary changes (e.g., the development of tools that makes gerrymandering into an exact science requiring some prevention of gerrymandering).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    I'd posit that this is due more to the polarization of the country in the past 50 years than anything else. We have more than enough valid methods for passing a Constitutional amendment but people are too ignorant, lazy, impatient, (stupid??) to build a big enough movement to affect that change. Right now people want to stick the knife in and twist with those they have even a slight disagreement with. It's far more emotionally satisfying to "own the libs/cons" on social media than it is to just find common ground to work with. Everyone wants to play a zero sum game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'd argue that the polarization is, to some degree, an effect of the inability to change governance. Gerrymandering, the electoral college, and a variety of other structural issues have helped push polarization when combined with the modern technologies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1