Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(M-TEN) UF stays undefeated incredible comeback in Ft Worth (UF Recap)

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by gatorjjh, Jan 23, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators First in SEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll
    Corinne SimpsonUF Athletics
    Florida picked to win the 2019 SEC title.
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Florida earned the No. 1 ranking in the SEC Preseason Coaches' Poll, the league announced on Wednesday.

The Gators, who finished 19-10 overall and 9-3 in SEC play to secure a third-place finish last season, totaled 152 points and were picked to win the SEC title.
    Florida garnered just four points more than second-place Mississippi State. Texas A&M, the defending SEC champion, earned the No. 4 ranking.

The Gators return the nucleus of last years' team, including four-time All-American Alfredo Perez, two-time All-American Johannes Ingildsen and one-time All-Americans McClain Kessler and Duarte Vale. Sophomore Oliver Crawford, who was named the 2018 SEC Freshman of the Year and the 2018 ITA Southeast Region Rookie of the Year, will captain this Gators' squad.

Gators First in SEC Preseason Coaches’ Poll - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 3
  2. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Nice to hear the team is highly thought of this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. seaofred92

seaofred92 Freshman

Nov 6, 2017
    Didn’t know where to put this- looks like the UF vs FSU men’s and women’s matches from the USTA Center in Orlando will be broadcasted on Tennis Channel on Feb 3 at 7 pm

Also the weekly top 25 polls will be released on the network starting January 30. Andy Katz will be a voter among others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    thanks for the info..

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Punch Ticket to ITA National Indoor Championships
    Corinne Simpson UF
    Florida rallied back from losing doubles point to secure regional championship victory

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The No. 4 Gators answered back after dropping the doubles point to win 4-1 over FAU on Sunday evening at the Alfred A. Ring Tennis Complex.
    After an eight hour delay due to heavy rain and a move indoors, Florida finally took the court and secured their spot at the ITA Indoor National Championships in Chicago. This is the eighth time the Gators have advanced through to the championships.

The match started off a little unexpected. The Gators found themselves at an early 1-0 deficit as FAU took the doubles point. Sophomore Oliver Crawford and Sam Riffice dominated court three with a 6-1 win over Thomas Guy and Kirac Bekisoglu. But after that, it was all FAU. Senior McClain Kessler and sophomore Duarte Vale fell at the No. 1 doubles slot 1-6 to Jason Legall and Ignacio Garcia. The point was decided as Gabriel Sidney and Mehdi Laalej defeated junior Johannes Ingildsen and senior Alfredo Perez 7-5.

Gators Punch Ticket to ITA National Indoor Championships - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  6. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Atlantic was quite talented and played great doubles Sunday night at the Perry Indoor Facility. This is such a deep Gator team, the lineup will continue to change as the early season matches unfold. Two matches at Lake Nona this coming week with UCF on Thursday, and FSU on Saturday. FSU match will be televised live on the Tennis Network.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach, is Perez just overly rusty? Didn't seem to have great results in doubles and no appearance in singles. Probably the biggest surprise was struggles in doubles (other than Riffice and Crawford) and Kessler a little spotty at 6 where I thought he might dominate

Are the twins potentially a factor in doubles or maybe redshirt candidates?

8. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Alfredo is coming off an injury and was just cleared to play the day before our opener. He is rusty but will be fine and is breaking into the lineup with doubles for now. Will get a chance at the singles lineup when he is ready. FAU played great doubles and deserved to win as it was not Florida playing awful but FAU playing great doubles. Kessler is trying to be more aggressive with his strokes when we play indoors. He was going for more and just missing some in the second set. The twins will provide depth this year, have no idea about red shirt plans. Our doubles is one of our strengths and I will predict right now there will be few doubles point losses this season.

• Informative Informative x 4
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thanks for the insights

10. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks coach...good to hear on Perez, at full strength he could be the difference vs big time opponents
    I was really expecting dominant doubles and a little surprised at the FAU outcome. Glad it was a good FAU showing. We have some serious doubles resumes on the roster, I'm sure it will come together.
    Coach is going to have some decisions on lineups as the season progresses

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Punch Ticket to ITA National Indoor Championships
    Corinne Simpson UF
    Florida rallied back from losing doubles point to secure regional championship victory.
    Head Coach Bryan Shelton
    Opening statement…
    "Yeah the doubles was…they [FAU] came out firing. I was just glad with our response to losing the doubles point. That is always the question. Are you going to hang your head or are you going to bounce back quickly? Overall, I thought that was one of the best parts of the match with how we responded so quickly and to put our one, two and three singles out there and for them to be so dominant. We just jumped on them quickly in the singles and I think that is a sign of a very competitive team. When you get popped in the mouth, you jump right back up on your feet and you start throwing punches. I was really pleased with that. There was a little bit of a lull with the last three matches. There was a point where Duarte [Vale] lost his early break, Johannes [Ingildsen] was down a couple of breaks and same thing with McClain [Kessler]. He lost his early break and so those leads kind of disappeared and all of a sudden it looks like we are in a dog fight again. It was short though because it didn't last long. We kind of rallied again in the middle of those first sets and then we really just caught momentum and just continued to play really good tennis. Overall, just really pleased. I thought FAU handled themselves unbelievably well tonight. I felt like they competed at a super high level. It felt like an SEC match, which is great experience for our guys to have that level of intensity out there on the court and to have an opponent that is swinging away and coming after us. A lot of credit to Ricardo [Gonzalez] and his team for the win yesterday and for pushing us so hard tonight."

On Duarte getting to clinch the match…
    "Yeah, I think it was pretty special. We all know that he is working so hard and has worked so hard to contribute and to be out there playing the type of tennis he is capable of. He has been through some tough times where he hasn't had his best and he has been working so hard to get over the hump. Tonight, he took some positive steps in the right direction. When things got really tough there in the first set, you could tell he just dug a little bit deeper and find it inside of him, the things that he needed to be successful out there tonight. I think when he understands where to go to try and find those things and he looks inside and brings out his best, he's got what it takes. He's got a huge heart and he's got a great game and he's just an amazing competitor and I'm just really happy for him tonight to be able to clinch the win for us and help us to go to Chicago."

On earning the bid to the ITA Indoor Championships…
    "Well it's always something that we shoot for each year. It's an opportunity to go and mix it up with the best teams in the country and our guys look forward to every match we play and it just gives us a minimum of three additional matches, if not four. For our guys, it was certainly a goal this year to be able to make it to Chicago and we are certainly motivated."

Florida rallied back from losing doubles point to secure regional championship victory.

12. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the info. My wife and I were wondering about Alfredo. He did seem to get frustrated easily last year, so I didn't know if that played into it or if the younger competition just had outplayed him. I'm glad to hear he may be coming back. Also, Oliver is fun to watch. Shelton has really upgraded this team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. seaofred92

seaofred92 Freshman

Nov 6, 2017
    Messed up my dates- match is Saturday night not Sunday:

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Start Road Slate at UCF
    Corinne SimpsonUF Sports
    Florida will travel to Orlando for in-state midweek match with Knights.
    LAKE NONA, Fla. – Florida men's tennis will hit the road for the first time this spring. The Gators travel to Orlando for a match with UCF, Thursday, at the USTA National Campus.
    This will be the No. 4 Gators' first of seven road matches scheduled in the next month.
    Florida started the season 2-0 following a 4-0 decision over William & Mary and a 4-1 victory over FAU. With the win over FAU, the Gators earned a bid to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Chicago.
    Gators Start Road Slate at UCF - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cruised to the win relatively easily.....6-0
    Big wins on doubles courts 1 and 3, Perez and Ingildsen continue to scuffle
    Riffice is crushing it in singles, Andrade had a great outing as well, and frosh Lucas Grief got his first win at 6. Ingildsen still not as dominant at 4 as I would have expected, was tested by a true freshman from UCF.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Solid win and Crawford ran up against a very hot player at number one singles. Ingildsen's parents are here watching from Norway this weekend. They were here at the UCF match and will be in attendance on Saturday evening when we take on FSU. Cold night at the USTA National Campus courts in Lake Nona. You feel as if you are at the U.S. Open with the flight pattern of landing planes constantly buzzing over your head at low altitude into the Orlando Airport! Looking forward to Saturday night!

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Really hope they make a statement Saturday....perfect opportunity to establish themselves as a true top 4 type team

• Like Like x 1
  18. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can tell you that the team and our coaches remember what happened last year and understand how important the FSU match is to all Gator Fans in every sport.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators Prepare for Nationally Televised Fresh From Florida Sunshine Showdown with FSU
    No. 4 Florida and No. 22 Florida State will renew their rivalry at the USTA National Campus.
    Corinne Simpson UF Sports
    LAKE NONA, Fla. – For the third consecutive season, Florida and Florida State will play their Fresh From Florida Sunshine Showdown at the USTA National Campus as a part of the College MatchDay Series.
    First serve of the top-25 matchup is slated for 6 p.m. and will be aired on the Tennis Channel in front of a sold-out crowd.
    The annual rivalry has become a staple of the USTA College MatchDay series. Last year's event attracted nearly 2,000 fans (third most attended regular season college tennis match in history) and was the first ever college tennis match to be broadcast on the Tennis Channel. While in 2017, the match attendance of 1,756 people was the sixth highest attended regular season college tennis match.
    The Gators enter the match with a perfect 3-0 record this season, but have been upset by the Seminoles two years in a row. Duarte Vale and McClain Kessler recorded singles victories over FSU last season, while Johannes Ingildsen and Alfredo Perez were the only doubles team to find success. Florida took a 3-1 lead over Florida State, but ultimately fell 4-3.

Gators Prepare for Nationally Televised Fresh From Florida Sunshine Showdown with FSU - Florida Gators

20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    February 1, 2019 - by Bret Clein FSU Sports
    to Take on Florida as a Part of College MatchDay and the Fresh From Florida Sunshine Showdown

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The 22nd ranked Florida State men’s tennis team (8-1) heads to their home away from home, Lake Nona and the USTA National Campus, to take on No. 4 Florida (2-0) as a part of the USTA’s College MatchDay series Saturday, February 2nd at 6 pm. The match will be broadcast live on the Tennis Channel and Home in front of a sold-out crowd.

Florida State is 4-0 all-time in Lake Nona including two straight wins over the Gators. The 2018 match was the first ever college tennis match to be broadcast on the Tennis Channel and was the third most attended regular season college tennis match in history (1,917 people). In 2017 the match attendance was 1,756 people, good for the sixth highest attended regular season college tennis match.

Florida State is 22-57 all-time against the Gators, but are currently on a two-match win streak. The Noles are 2-1 against Florida in a neutral venue and 2-0 at the USTA National Campus. The Gators bring in four ranked singles players and three different ranked doubles pairs in the top-15.
    to Take on Florida as a Part of College MatchDay and the Fresh From Florida Sunshine Showdown