Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF shuts down fans at games until the 30th

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So the statement says:
    Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey announced tonight that beginning Thursday, March 12 and continuing until at least Monday, Mar. 30, all league events will continue with no fan presence. Only essential game day personnel and player families will be in venue. The first event affected by this will be the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament in Nashville.

Any chance the away mid week games could have fans? What about the game against FSU in Jax? That's not at an on campus facility. I know I'm reaching but I'm wondering if there are any exceptions. Technically the away game at Stetson is not on campus. That is a municipal stadium in Deland I believe.

3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What sucks is we, the fans, lose the Georgia series at home and the Texas A&M series at home. And who knows how many others we will miss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

The only thing I have seen for travel/attendance restricts eligible people to immediate family only outside of game personnel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I guess we will get an official statement from the Jax people for their stadium restrictions. I don't expect anything different than the rest but every location should have their own say. Jax won't force them to play with fans but their starting and ending dates for a fan ban might be different.

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    what sucks worse than us missing live games is the economic impact I think it will have on the people who work the concessions at all the UF venues

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Imagine the loss that UPD will have in less parking tickets at practices. Or the loss of business the tow truckers will have after games. On the flip side Steve Russell will be able to renegotiate the commercial contract fees collected from the radio broadcasts with more listeners.

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You would think our light actual attendance would work to our favor in this scenario. There's not enough people that attend to cause a panic about spreading anything.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I do feel very bad for the restaurant owners, hotel owners, etc who lose here. Tough break.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    So you are thinking we all have a house party? @GatorLurker is in. Something we can put together. Maybe test some of those What’s Cooking recipes in person??? I can do the green beans with my olive oil, garlic and jalapeño sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My default plan was to go to where the students wait in line for basketball and try to watch the game from up there (grill, TV, maybe we can use one of the kegs from the stadium that they won't need any more...cork charge, whatever). Another option would be to rent an RV, park it either in RF or better yet, just on the other side of the Georgia bullpen (on Stadium Road), and watch the game from the roof.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You know, every time I sit and watch the Gators play baseball I see up on top of the roof of the O'Dome a small hand railing that makes me wonder what I'd be like to see a baseball game from there. Hhhhhhmmmmmmm...............

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

We can all thank the fast becoming useless news media for the wide spread panic/fear on this one.........again!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’m curious: will pitchers be allowed to coat the baseballs with Lysol spray...is that like a spitball?

15. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    The ban on fans at games would seem to take away a lot of home field advantage. No more opponents walking back to the dugout in shame to the chants of left, right, left, right ..... sit down - NEXT. No more letting the opposing pitcher know he's in trouble on a 3-0 count and allowing the opposing pitchers to use their real name instead of the one size fits all EARL. No more LANG.......WORTHY, No more LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTON. No more "We are the boys of old Florida F. L. O. R. I. D. A. Will be really weird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

And totally unnecessary!

Again, Thank You irresponsible news media—can’t you people see that what you’re doing is only screwing up the world—you are truly broken.....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. pusdoc

pusdoc Recruit

Apr 21, 2016
    Regardless of what the media reports (I tend to not pay much attention to most of it), as a retired infectious diseases physician, I think this is probably the prudent thing to do. I suspect this virus is much more widespread in the US than we currently know, it is quite communicable by droplet spread, and the mortality among the elderly is much much higher than that of influenza. So, let’s do the best we can to protect all us old folks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    The media, and those behind them, control the country now days. Truly sad and pathetic...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. volungator

volungator Freshman

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I'm still confused. Is the entire baseball season cancelled or on hold for awhile? I know the CWS is cancelled but is there any chance we resume any level of competition this season?

20. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My guess, if enough conferences start up their seasons again, then the NCAA will revisit the possibility but for now they will hold on their first statement of no championships. Let's wait until April 15 and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 3