Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF says Keyontae Johnson is in ‘critical but stable condition’ after collapsing in game against Flor

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by meagator, Dec 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    @1osubuckeye you arent half bad for a Buckeye. LOL. Appreciate the information provided.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. 1osubuckeye

1osubuckeye Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    no offense, but looking at how both these teams play, and at the D1 level, the level of play is slightly more intense than your local Y in terms of exertion. I’m not saying that as an insult either. I never felt an ounce of fatigue playing football both ways in high school, but I’d probably be pretty smoked playing against a college run and shoot team, or an uptempo offense like Oregon.

Lastly, basketball is kind of unique due to the crossover of anaerobic and aerobic activity. It’s not as aerobic as soccer, where you have to run it jog across a large field, but it also has a lot of bursts of high intensity, anaerobic bursts utilizing the phosphocreatine cycle for explosive bursts of energy that are under 10 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1osubuckeye

1osubuckeye Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    whenever you have a background in the medical world, this type of stuff is fascinating to see. Basketball usually has mild injuries sans Louisville player with the compound fracture, but racing cars and enjoying racing and football, you see way more catastrophic injuries in football, and especially racing. The non-contact events are just straight up medical issues, and always strike a nerve with myself....and clearly everybody else.

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I played organized ball, not just at the Y. I'm going to have to disagree about D1 vs other leagues being more uptempo or taxing. The athletes are faster and more athletic for sure, but we are all exerting a similar amount of effort relative to our ability. I am 100% positive at my peak I would have been able to keep up with D1 athletes. I would probably miss every shot and look terrible out there, but as far as running up and down the court... sure no problem.

6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yup. Exertion is not the same thing as performance. I exerted myself when playing sports growing up to my maximum ability. That didn't mean I ran a 4.3 and had a 40 inch vert but I reached my max HR often and pushed through anaerobic burn. The same congenital issues that can kill a D1 athlete can show up during a pickup basketball game by a weekend warrior

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I wonder if he has some sort of congenital defect like Pistol Pete, who died from a heart attack at age 40 during a pickup BB game.

9. 1osubuckeye

1osubuckeye Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    this a fair point and I digress. With that said, technically something like this could happen to anybody. It may not be EXACTLY the same mechanism as Johnson but the result is the same. We actually had a young junior high player at my alma matter due from “sudden cardiac death” from non obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy probably about 12 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1osubuckeye

1osubuckeye Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    To amend my previous statement, the AED’s themselves recognize the rhythm and determine if there is a shockable arrhythmia, so that’s why I say that in hindsight it may have been a better course of action to do it earlier....but that’s always easier to say after the fact, especially with the immediate resources and medical personnel available.

we had a male patient, in his early 30s, at a local gym alone, that had lost a lot of weight, and otherwise appeared healthy and relatively fit. He went into VFIB, crashed on the treadmill, then laid against the treadmill belt until somebody checked in at 3am from the security footage. He was pretty much gone by the time he arrived. He had numerous burns from the friction laying against the running treadmill.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  11. 1osubuckeye

1osubuckeye Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    If it would be the case, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is typically a genetic disorder, however people tend to have symptoms before hand. As an example, Hank Gathers had a syncopal episode in a prior game, and was being medically managed with a beta blocker for known exercise induced Ventricular Tachycardia, however they didn’t know it was caused by hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He was also continually decreasing his dosage, and may have not been taking it at all before his fatal event. In terms of cardiac risk factors, that pretty much ended careers for players like that after the fact. Too much risk. It’s also something you see with prolonged QT syndrome and numerous other cardiac pathologies and arrhythmias. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze, if it can’t squeeze in the first place.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thank you for your expertise. It isn't often that science gets what it is to do recently.

I have a scar on my right arm from a cardiac procedure that now is done from the leg. It was from 1960 from one of the first to do it. The doctor had an obit in the NY Times during my treatment because he was a pioneer. My mom was a really regarded nurse in Chicago and got it done for me. At one time she ran the pediatric ward at Cook County General. She had a lot of cred.

One thing I remember was not wanting flavored barium during x-rays because they tasted horrible and I didn't want to have that taste association. Pretty smart for a five year old.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Amazing that we're now at hour 30 since the incident and no official report or synopsis...like many I'm hoping no news is good news, but this seems to be getting scarier by the minute. Hope it's just my overthinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    If this is anything but honoring the family's wishes, it's not right. Obviously, you defer to them. But if this is just the university being tight-lipped i think it's pretty callous to not reveal any info. A fan base is agonizing. I realize that pales in comparison to what KJ and family are dealing with, but still. Of course, that's what has me so worried about no info. I can't help but think it is worst case scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    It's a very serious situation no doubt. Hoping for the best. It's such a shock when someone who's young, incredibly athletic and seemed so healthy, to have something like this happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Keep waiting for any update. Of course its up to the family, but really want to know what his current status is. The longer it goes without hearing something, the scarier it gets. Just praying for the best.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Legend

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Me too. I keep logging in to see if there is an update on KJ. Of course part of me dreads what that update might be. Especially the longer this goes on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Yup. It happened in my family.

My mother had an older brother who was a fairly renowned schoolboy hoops player in NY in the late 30's and early 40's.

He was playing in some sort of post-HS graduate men's league when he was 19 years old (in about 1941-she was 11 or 12). After a vigorous stretch, one of the teams called a timeout and both teams were seated along their respective benches.

When the refs blew the whistle to resume play, the 4 teammates of my mother's brother (I don't call him my uncle because I was two decades from being born) returned to the floor, realized they were short a man and turned to look back to the bench just in time to see my mother's brother fall face onto the court face first, instantly dead of a heart attack triggered by a congenital heart defect. AT FREAKING 19 YEARS OLD. Sadly these things do happen without warning or explanation, and I have spent the past 30 hours hoping that my now deceased mom is looking down on KJ from above to tell him "not yet young man, it's just not your time".

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    My wife worked as an athletic trainer at a university. Something happened during one athletes physical that prompted a more in depth cardiac evaluation. The Dr said had they not dug deeper than the normal physical exam he would have been their death on the court. Terrifying to know what a silent killer these things are. I still contend however that Keontae may have had a bleed based on the very very limited information so far although a heart issue could certainly be a cause as well

20. ufjulzz

ufjulzz All American

Jun 5, 2007
    I feel the same. I think I’ve googled his name every hour hoping for a miracle

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.