Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF had made the top 10 publics list in US News this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    How North Carolina is on any list after 20 years of bogus courses is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gator_lyn

gator_lyn Junior

Oct 28, 2017
    I think it hovered between $95-$110 per credit hour when I attended, so around $1500 per semester (not including books). Dirt cheap IMO. It didn't matter to me, Bright Futures paid for all of it anyway :D

3. Seabud

Seabud Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    UF will keep increasing standards so it is only going to become increasingly selective on talent. Just like in football recruiting, this is good. Notes:
    - computer science- UF was behind but is hiring and focusing here. It is needed.
    - cost is and has been dirt cheap so those of us who got education cheaply need to donate to academics!!
    - student/teacher ratio - they are hiring 500 faculty over the next 2 years so this will get better. Again - donate.
    - people complaining about “eggheads” or grades not equaling success are right generally... but Harvard/Stanford/Michigan grads do great and those are the students we want to pull. Again, like football, measurables and performance in high school aren’t determinative but are meaningful.
    - Great to be a Gator and future is bright!

• Like Like x 4
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    IMHO...the next goal should be to get Florida in the upper tear of Universities. That'll take a minute. :(I'm out of the loop on the criteria. I'm pretty sure Vandy is in the group. It might be considered the top 30 Universities in the country. At least in some categories, like Law School, medical school or Business etc. Top 50 is decent, it really is when you consider how many universities there are in the US. But top 30 is a huge win...we'll get there. I think our endowment is 1.5 billion. We need another 10 billion or so to get there.

It's great to be a Florida Gator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I like the University of Florida that I graduated from. I’d have never gotten into this one

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    With that attitude, UF would never have one an SEC title in football, much less a national title. Being the best is the goal, just like in sports. I have faith in you Skink - kids these days realize they can't half-ass high school and get into UF so they try harder. You would have too. Go Gators.... in sports and academics!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Sorry to disappoint Bud, but I did half-ass high school, and my first 2 years at UF too for that matter. Learned how to drink beer and smoke weed. It was an absolute blast, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Once I made it into Engineering school I kicked ass. Graduated with honors in fact. Three years of work and then a Masters in Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M. Not bragging on that - simply making the point that some of us get our sh!t together later in life than others.

But today you have to be nailing down near perfection from about 8th grade on, and that unfortunately washes out a whole lot of fun and plenty smart people. The demographics of UF change along with it, and other than giving all of us UF grads something to beat our chests about, I'm not necessarily sure the change is all for the better.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes but those bogus courses are available to all the students. not just the serious higher GPA students.

9. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Sounds like me. Minus the weed and engineering. I was average student for high school and that continued for a few years at UF. Went from academic probation one spring to national deans list the next fall. Got my shit together and closed like a banshee especially on my major. No way I would get a chance if that was the case these days/

10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I got into UF in 1974 with less than a 3.0 GPA. I had lots of extracurricular activities and had very good SAT and national achievement test scores, believe it or not.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Does smoking weed and drinking beer really count as extracurricular activities? Hmmm?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Back then, well... I'll think I'll leave it up to you to decide!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Same here, for the most part. I was a severely depressed teenager, and only made it into UF on the leniency of my teachers (I did no homework, but aced all the tests - they could have easily failed me, but the whole administration knew me by name. I am really lucky that they saw something in me that I didn't see in myself, since I did nothing but sleep and brood for a few years) and the fact that I was in an IB program that was a direct pipeline into UF.

I did nothing to stand out in the first two years at UF, and eventually something clicked and I got my **** together. Went to nursing school, and eventually became a CRNA. There are late bloomers like you and me who don't ever show their stuff by the time college admission time rolls around.

• Like Like x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just an FYI, this year’s rankings come out next Monday, but they previewed the top 10 public’s for this year and UF is there again(they are only listed alphabetically for now).

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...preview-top-10-public-universities?src=usn_tw

Given the amount of marketing that UF put behind making the top 10 over the last year, it would have been embarrassing to fall out. Monday we will see whether we moved up, worst we could do would be to move down one spot, since we were 9th last year.
    But staying top 10 is good news regardless.

15. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    These things are fun, but it's meaningless ultimately, contacts you make in college are what separates mostly, the rest fluff. Same text books smart and dumb kids everywhere.