Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF had made the top 10 publics list in US News this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    https://www.collegechoice.net/rankings/best-computer-science-degree/

UF is 16th. UCF, not in the top 50.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings/page+4

UF is 48. UCF is 90.

I know nothing about computer science degrees but UCF's rise seems to be solely related to Orlando as I have heard about it while visiting my parents and yet no credible source greater than Central Florida residents would seem to agree with UCF's purported quality.

Also, NASA is shrinking. Northrup Grumman has an office in the space coast and Lockheed is legit.

Again, you might be right but can you share a data source which suggests UCF is actually great? My dad's poker buddies notwithstanding?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    If we are going to be a top 10 school we should price out of state tuition like a top 10 school. Look at that differential.

We are leaving tens if not hundreds of millions of $$$ on the table

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think UF has really worked to lower the teacher to student ratio. UF always had high marks in other major evaluation categories, but fell due to larger class sizes comparatively. They have really focused on teacher to student ratios. Still not ideal and will never come close to real Ivy’s, but not bad for a 50,000 University. FYI that UF’s out of State tuition/fees is now over $28,000, plus another $9,000 for room and board. The tuition is 4 times that of in-state kids. However, UF often grants in-state tuition waivers to out of State kids it wishes to attract. Most don’t know there is a form you can use to apply for in-State tuition when living outside the State

• Like Like x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Northrop Grumman moved from NY to Melbourne a few years back. Lot of major aerospace and cyber security firms are in Melbourne now. Not just Harris Corp anymore. NG heavily recruits UF for engineers and business interns/grads. They are on campus each year in September hiring a significant number of summer interns. My daughter at UF was hired as a Northrop Grumman intern. $15 per hour first year interning, $20 per hour the second, they also provide $3500 payment for housing and food, provide immediate matching to 40lk while intern, give offers of full time employment after graduating toward end of junior year interning with. Lot of good major employers recruiting at UF for paid interns each year. My daughter interviewed with Nestle, Kellogg’s, JP Morgan, ... and said there must have been well over 100 companies on campus in the early Fall semester. These firms interview and hire interns by November for the following summer.

5. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    US News methods of Ranking Universities and Liberal Arts Colleges, has little to do with anything important about a college or university.

UNFORTUNATELY, people, being almost completely uniformed, regarding what is important, actually, and foolishly pay attention to such garbage ratings.

What makes it even worse, is due to the media play of such things, university administrators, who should, but usually don't know better, pay attention to this baloney also.

Several year's ago, I was given the task of responding to US New's Provost Questionaire, to which I responded honestly. My boss said, you were Honest - No, That's Not The Way This Game is Played - You make our closest opponents look as bad as possible (UCF being one), which makes us look better. I was never asked to do that again.

25% of this rating comes from Offices (President, Provost, Admissions) that are basically clueless regarding what different universities do, thus, they reflect nothing other than personal or national biases and tradition.

Pretty much, if you're a wealthy school, you will be rated highly, if you're not (like Southern Mississippi), you won't.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm still proud of it. I guess I'm just stupid.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Someone at USN really likes Cali schools..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    I guess this is great news but I get beat-up because I think college should be cheaper and more available. The Research, especially at a "Land Grand School" needs to be more practical and Industry/Business applicable.

And IQ is good but it's proven that success is based on EQ and that does not show up on an SAT.

9. This is great news because it's a Public Relations coup for UF that will help it grow in the Future. The Methodology makes no difference - no real Academics believe that the Rankings say anything about Each School's respective quality. The university administrators that you mentioned are doing their jobs by paying attention to this baloney because it's the greatest PR tool in the world for an American University. It has an even greater effect on the Public Consciousness than AAU membership has.

Look, I know how much you love to be a Contrarian and to capitalize Certain Words. I can only imagine that it makes you feel Better than the Rest of Us, but if you can't even see why people are happy about this News, then what does that say about you?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But UCF has a undefeated champions license plate

11. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And yet the title uses poor grammer...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Make it more affordable and then come talk to me.

13. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    New UF president wants to get UF to #5 on the list. That means getting rid of even more white males who would go to football games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. If it takes us to #5, I'd be ok with it if it meant getting the best prospective students possible. As long as the admissions are race-blind and need-blind then I'm happy.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion but I care more about UF's academics than football. I am passionate about both - extremely so - but if I had to choose one...

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irony :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I transferred from USF in 95 as a sophomore with a 3.9 and am still amazed. I don’t think I would be accepted today either.

Also, I pay more for my daughters elementary school EVEN FOR OUT of state and by a long shot for in state. In state cost per year is about my mortgage here in LA. Ugh.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The real irony is that when I saw your response I realized I spelled grammar wrong. And I know how to spell it so maybe I need to apologize to op

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was the OP, that was what my response was for lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... It even says op next to your name! Strike 2!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I stumbled across a few of my schedules from UF. I think one said I took 12 hours and I had to pay $800 +/-. That's a steal. That figure may not be exact but it's close. It's remarkable how inexpensive UF is for Florida residents.

• Winner Winner x 1