Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF had made the top 10 publics list in US News this year

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    University of Florida
    Gainesville, FL

#9 in Top Public Schools (tie)
    #42 in National Universities (tie)
    The University of Florida is about two miles away from downtown Gainesville, a college town bolstered by the school’s nearly 50,000 students. The Florida Gators sports teams compete in the NCAA Division I Southeastern Conference, and are supported by mascots Albert and Alberta the Alligators. The Gator football team, which competes in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium — commonly called the "The Swamp" — is particularly notorious. The team became the namesake of popular sports drink Gatorade in 1966, after freshmen Gators experimented with the novel beverage. The annual Gator Growl, held each Homecoming weekend, has been called the largest student-run pep rally in the world. About 15 percent of students are involved in the school’s 60-plus fraternities and sororities. Freshmen do not have to live on campus, though about 80 percent opt to do so. All students can partake in Gator Nights, held every Friday, which offer free late-night entertainment and a free “midnight breakfast.”more

$28,658 (out-of-state), $6,381 (in-state) Tuition and Fees
    34,554 Undergraduate Enrollment
    SAT, GPA and more

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    If only we could play football like #4 and #12.

Still cool though. Thanks for sharing.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ranked ahead of Miami again by a few spots in the overall too.

For comparison, FSU moved up as well, they are now 33rd among publics. As long as we are significantly ahead of them, I say good for the state to have two quality national universities.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    What has happened to UT-Austin? They used to consistently be ranked in the top ten if not top five. Also, Texas A&M now up to 50K undergrad, wow, total must be well over 60K.

• Like Like x 1
  7. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I could never get into to Florida now. But I like to believe my roommates and I started the universities rise. My roommates and I am waiting for thank you notes from President Fuchs. Heck, we met him in Oct. and he didn't thank us then. But it just validates what we already know' "It is great to be a Florida Gator!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    When I was getting out of HS and met with a guidance counselor, while sitting at his desk, he looked through my grades and my absences and then slowly closed my file. He placed his hand on top of it like something might get out. He slowly shook his head. He was pondering something. Then after long exhale he looked up and said: "Malcolm, I'm sorry, you just aren't college material!" He then got up and walked away...o_O

I went to Miami -Dade Jr college, transferred to Florida and then eventually graduated cum Laude. :cool:Yeah, I would have never been able to get into Florida out of HS. If I showed up they'd call security!:D

I'm surprised Florida didn't make the best value schools list. We were usually really high on that list in the past.

Now that I'm done with skool I just want the footsball team to be wicked good.:mad:

Go Gators.:D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    It's only a great value for in-state applicants. It's a little pricey if you're from out of state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks like UF jumped Illinois, Wisconsin, UC Davis, Texas, Villanova and Fordham. Must have been some others. Maybe Lehigh.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF jumped Texas a couple of years ago, their state legislature is turning them and A&M into diploma mills.

I think our rise is in part our lower acceptance rates and in part our reputational score, after we hired a respected Cornell provost as prez.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I think its because they had so much coaching turnover.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. ncbullgator

ncbullgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Congrats to all of the staff, students and alumni who have made this announcement the best news for UF perhaps ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Better than 2 heismans? Better than "The Speech?" Better than a World Series? Better than "Don't taze me bro?" Better than "Frat Gate?"....not sure. But the best news for UF ever was......the day Foley fired Lumpy.

Ok. Ok. Ill let the grown ups continue this thread..;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I agree. Definitely the best news for UF ever. I don't agree with overall rankings as there are no overall degrees but the world values this stuff and it is great press for the school. Really good stuff.

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would say the day we got AAU membership was a bigger deal. Far more permanent and meaningful in academic circles. A couple of years ago PSU was eight here and they are 14th this year, things can change, while AAU is for life if you dont mess it up. But it's a huge milestone reached regardless, as they continue to lower the student to teacher ratio and work on the endowment there's still room to grow.
    And, not you of course, but to those who say these rankings don't matter, they become self fulfilling. Whether you like them or not, kids look at them. Exposure helps get us better applicants and helps alumni giving, while the rankings are looked at by other schools who help judge our academic reputation which is part of the formula...so the rankings improvements feed on themselves. Same way a decline might.
    It's a good day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Look at Mizzou. They are/were a member of AAU and they have fallen off considerably. Not sure if some of that had to do with SJW stuff going on a couple of years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    AAU is probably more valuable from the academic community but this impacts the layman more in my opinion. I have considered getting a 3rd degree and I look at rankings. I did for my first two (undergrad was UF) as well but I never looked at AAU status. I focus on specific degrees of course but rankings do matter and it is great for UF to get such acclaim.

I also agree with a previous comment about the SWAC moving up to 33rd. My biggest beef with TK at the SWAC was their reputation and his reputation impugned UF's reputation solely by association (the man had no business running a university). If you leave the southeast, UF and the SWAC are lumped together and a pathetic academic SWAC hurts our state and UF. Glad they are finally giving a ...

• Like Like x 1
  19. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    "Well, Mal, your stats are very respectable, you've done some solid work here. But it's not quite UF, now is it?"

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    FSU might not be a shoe in either - schools across the state have definitely stepped up their game. I was frustrated that UF walked away from computer science years ago when UCF doubled down...UCF is in such a better position for jobs in tech/engineering (I know UF Engineering is still better overall but UCF geographically is in prime position with Lockheed and NASA in their backyard) and they really could take the mantle for the state on future jobs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1