Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF Gymnast Tweets

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Kirby, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    upload_2020-6-1_17-24-58.jpeg

Not sure what to say but wow.... Definitely not a good look for UF

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Didn't Fuchs weigh in already?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Yes, as have a number of the coaches in the athletic department.

4. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  5. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    So then she has no leg to stand on with her statement (at least the first part).

• Like Like x 1
  6. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Right but she may be looking specifically at UF Gymnastics and Rowland, haven’t seen anything directly from them. I am interested in the second part, especially now that another gymnast agreed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Ah yeah, you're probably right. I took it as UF but she said team, not school.

8. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Link to the actual tweet

9. scrappygator

scrappygator Moderator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    If the gymnastics coaches and staff actually told Kennedy to stay quiet, then they are part of the problem. We need to stand up to racism, no matter where it occurs.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  10. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Agree. I don’t know the facts, but your if/then statement is valid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    We need to stand up to racism, but if the expectation is to make statements on social media, it's unreasonable. Sorry if I misinterpreted her message.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I posted in the other thread on this, but I hate twitter sometimes. No space for nuance, detail etc.
    There isn’t acceptable racism and I hope it was dealt with, but there’s a world of difference between a teammate saying something dumb and asking to keep it quiet and an institutional cover up by the staff. With lots of levels in between. But with a tweet like this all of UF gets hit with the broad brush. If UF failed her, tell the story and let UF fix it, if not for her because the parties are gone, then for the next student athlete. No way Fuchs would tolerate it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a single teammate has her back? She's been gone for 2 years? Am I missing something here?

At this point, if you're Kennedy Baker, what do you have to lose by naming names? Color me skeptical.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007

She retweeted this; there was never any indication of a problem. And this...

If she wants to be taken seriously, she has some explaining to do.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    This thread is nothing but oblique references to racism. How can anybody be expected to understand the situation given nothing more than can be seen above?

16. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm taking her seriously and she's got no explaining to do. It's common behavior for people to publicly demonstrate amicable relationship if they're not ready to make a break yet. Have you never seen a couple posing happily for pictures or say/tweet good things about their relationship when they were on the verge of breaking up?

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Speculation warning and some sexism follows. In my limited personal experience Gymnasts and dancers are historically the most emotionally volatile athletes in the world. With no info my guess is someone asked her not to comment hoping to avoid the social media spotlight and it pissed her off. Beware of pissed off gymnasts!

18. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    To be clear, she owes me absolutely nothing. I've only observed her tweets ever due to what has been posted on this thread. I am one observer with an opinion on a threshold for clarity of a given situation. I have no expectation that anybody's time at FLORIDA (athlete or not) would be all roses without any conflict, let alone regrettable ones. I have no reason to believe that what she is saying isn't true.

It is uncommon to have one publicly post an ambiguous attack more than two years after the fact. Usually you see something addressed immediately or privately.

I believe there is a more effective way to communicate. To the extent that she has faced anything she did not deserve, I encourage her to speak up (not necessarily via twitter, but she may feel like that's the only way she'll be heard).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Be careful city. A post like that will get your liberal friends incensed, even with your up front warning. Your in dangerous waters my friend. Trust me, I’ve waded into that pond before. Quite a few territorial moccasins around the edge!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    The flip side of this is why do people care if football coaches, gymnastics coaches, baseball coaches, actors and singers etc....say anything? Do not get me wrong, it is great that they have opinions and want to share them when asked to, but I could not care any less about anything Dan Mullen ever says unless it pertains to the University of Florida football team and/or mocking Georgia.

I do not care about Will Smith, Lebron, Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Adele, Katherine Heigel or anyone else who has an opinion just because they are famous. Glad they have them, don't care what they are.

• Agree Agree x 1