Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF Gators @ USCe Gamecocks 12pm(ET) Saturday 02/10/2018, CBS & GatorIMGRadio&WestwoodOne

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, Feb 10, 2018.

1. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Game Details
    When:
    Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 12p.m.ET
    Watch: CBS & The CBS Sports App
    CBS Play-by-Play & Analysts: Carter Blackburn and Jim Spanarkel
    Listen: Gator IMG Sports Network (Mick Hubert and Bill Koss).
    Check Your Local Listings or Gator Zone Affiliates List for Radio Stations in Your Area.
    Where: Colonial Life Arena; Columbia, SC; Capacity: 18,000
    [​IMG]
    Records: 2017-2018 Florida Gators (16-8, 7-4 SEC)
    2017-2018 South Carolina Gamecocks (13-11, 4-7 SEC)
    UF Head Coach: Mike White; 40 years old; 3rd Year at UF; 63-31 (UF), 164-71 (overall)
    USCe Head Coach: Frank Martin; 51 years old; 6th year at USCe; 109-85(USCe), (226-139)
    UF’s Leading Scorer: Jalen Hudson; 15.8 PPG
    USCe’s Leading Scorer: Chris Silva; 14.5 PPG
    Series Results: 44-26 (UF)
    Last Game Results: Gators lost at home 72-77 (01/24/2018)
    [​IMG]
    - The Rollercoaster Ride Continues -
    The Gators and Gamecocks meet up for the first of UF’s five rematches over the final six regular-season games. CMW and the Gators will hope for better luck and a different outcome than they had in their first meeting with Frank Martin’s squad on January 24th. In that game, the Gators blew an 8 point 2nd half lead as the Gamecocks rallied to win 77-72 in front of a disappointed EXACTECH crowd.

That loss to USCe knocked the Gators out of 1st place in the SEC and robbed them of all the mojo they thought they’d earned with that UK win days before. Next UF appeared to turn it around with an impressive knock-out home victory over Baylor, but came right back to lose 2 successive conference games in truly stinky fashion. Then Wednesday, the Gator Boys snapped the losing streak with a gritty 73-64 home win over LSU that was among the team’s hardest played if not their prettiest games of the season.
    [​IMG]
    The Gamecocks, meanwhile, haven’t fared much better, having lost four straight since beating the Gators in Gainesville. In their most recent game, USCe lost 81-65 Tuesday night at Arkansas. Frank Martin’s squad is not going to the Final Four this year. But they’re going to make it difficult for the Gators Saturday afternoon in Columbia. But that’s okay because these Gators can make it plenty difficult for themselves. On the other hand, they’ve proven they can compete with the best teams in the country when they’re on top of their game.

This has been a rollercoaster ride of a season, full of up and down performances. It’s really to know what to expect from this team from one game to the next. And the ride’s not over yet. There are a few more twists, turns, flips, dips and peaks still ahead. Fasten your seatbelts!

Here's FloridaGators.com’s Chris Harry on What to Expect from UF v. USCe Part II: “The Gators (16-8, 7-3) are back on the SEC road Saturday when they face South Carolina (13-11, 4-7) at noon. The Gamecocks, you might recall, started UF on its tailspin from atop the SEC standings when they came to the O'Dome on Jan. 24 and handed the Gators a 77-72 defeat just four days after a huge win at Kentucky. USC has not won since, dropping four straight, most recently Tuesday night's 81-65 road defeat at Arkansas.”

2017-2018 Gamecocks & Gators Key Stats
    USCe Gators
    PGG: 70.2 PGG: 78.3
    FG%: 39.9 FG%: 43.5
    RPG: 35.4 RPG: 37.5
    Assists/Game: 12.9 Assists/Game: 13.2
    Points Allowed: 68.0 Points Allowed: 71.3
    Blocks/Game: 3.0 Blocks/Game: 4.7
    Steals/Game: 5.5 Steals/Game: 7.3​

The Goods from GatorLurker: Dizzy Dean brings us another fun look at the Gators matchup and provides us with this summary for 2nd installment of this season's CMW v. Frank Martin prize fight: “Saturday is a noon game in Columbia, South Carolina. We had a nice result away from home at the other Columbia. Maybe we can bring back the magic. We all saw what happened last time we played them: Silva with a double-double and Myers killing us from the arc. Stopping Silva is all but impossible. Even slowing him down is hard. And in conference play Myers is 5 for 7 from 3 against UF and 6-19 from 3 against everyone else. So pick your score, Most Valuable Gator, and Stat of the Game. This time the SOG is Myers' 3 point shooting percentage.” Be sure to enter the @GatorLurker Game #25 Pick ’Em contest here.
    [​IMG]
    - What Is Up with All Those 3s??? –
    We’ve all noticed the rather startling trend whereupon opposing teams’ worst perimeter shooters seem to miraculously have their best ever shooting performances vs. UF. Right?

Seriously, it’s like a thing. Face the Gators MBK this season, and shoot lights out, even if you’re Commodores’ back-up equipment manager. Your lifetime 3point shooting average is <15%? Then you’re probably the guy who’s gonna go 5/7 from long distance vs. the Gators this season!

The first time I noticed this “bad shooter gone great” phenomenon was in Gators v. USCe 1.0 game. Wesley Myers – whose career 3PT average is 36.38% – went 5/7 and scored 22points v. UF on 01/24/2018; while problematic forward Chris Silva had 18 points in under 30 minutes of play. In other words, it seemed as though the Gators couldn’t defend inside or outside that night! Does this mean CMW’s team can’t defend this season? Full team stats here.
    [​IMG]
    GatorCountry Columnist Eric Fawcett (@Efawcett7) addressed this issue in his thread entitled The Florida Basketball Myth. “One of the perceptions of Florida basketball this year by both local fans and national media is that the Gators are a run and gun offensive team that doesn't defend well. HOWEVER, in terms of adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency ratings, the Gators aren't actually that far off between their offense and defense. Offensively, the Gators are 43rd in the nation. Not great, I know, and quite possibly not as good as you would expect them to rate. BUT, they are 51st in defensive efficiency, which is nowhere near as bad as the perception has been regarding their ability to defend. Maybe these numbers just depressed you because they aren't as high ranking in offense, or maybe both categories, as you'd like, but I think you should be happy with that defensive efficiency mark as it is way better than I think the Gators get credit for.”

Very informative, no? But if you’re like me you may have read the above and thought to yourself, “that’s all well and good Eric, but what the heck do the terms ‘adjusted offense and defense’ mean anyway?” Here’s how KenPom defines those terms:
    Adjusted Offensive Efficiency – An estimate of the offensive efficiency (points scored per 100 possessions) a team would have against the average D-I defense.
    Adjusted Defensive Efficiency - An estimate of the defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions) a team would have against the average D-I offense.
    [​IMG]
    Okay. But what about all those suddenly spectacular 3-point shooters? I wanted to look more closely at the available analytics on this issue so I decided to familiarize myself with the concept of “opponents 3PT shooting percentage.” I’d encourage interested in a similar deep dive (or anyone who’s not particularly interested in such minutia who is seeking an effective drug-free remedy for insomnia) to check out this article from KenPom
    on the subject and this one from The Power Rank, Inc. To be honest, I couldn't make it all the way through either article without my eyes going crossed and rolling uncontrollable back up into my head. I decided that would not be a good look for longterm so I'm gonna summarize what I gleaned from my skimming.

KenPom’s article Offense vs. Defense – 3 Point Percentage states the following: “On a game level, there’s a lot of random variance in 3point shooting. So this result is not to say that a coach should pile up good shooters expecting to make a bulletproof offense. It’s simply that a good 3point offense will beat a good three-point defense over the long term. The offense controls most of what can be controlled, but randomness is a huge specter that looms over three-point shooting on a game level. Controlling for attempts, free throw shooting is most predictable, followed by 2point shooting, which is followed by 3point shooting…The 3point shot is worth more than any other shot and with the exception of free-throw accuracy, it’s the box-score event least influenced by the defense. So it figures that the trifecta is a good starting point for explaining the unpredictability of college basketball.”

The Power Rank article makes a similar point. “First, there is randomness in team’s 3point defense. Let’s measure 3point defense by the percentage that opponents shoot from behind the arc. Then 3point defense one season explains (only) 2.7% of the variance in 3point defense the next season, a correlation coefficient of 0.17….However, that’s not the entire story. Teams that play better defense within the arc tend to have better 3point defense. Measured by field goal percentage, a team’s 2point defense explains 20% of the variance in 3point defense, a correlation coefficient of 0.45.”

In case you nodded off, both authors basically said that teams that play better overall defense tend to have fewer long balls scored against them too, but there’s probably a bunch of other factors at play including most significantly luck and randomness. So maybe the Gators aren’t such bad defenders after all…when they’re trying hard and working on the defensive end, which is most of the time, except that UGA game. That game was just stinky! :p
    [​IMG]
    - A Little Triva –
    Florida is just 1-4 versus Frank Martin and the Gamecocks under Coach Mike White, and CMW is winless v. USCe away from the “friendly” confines of the O’Dome/EXACTACH Arena. So, I guess an optimist could make the argument that we’re due for a win at Colonial Life Arena!

- Read More -
    Read Chris Harry’s Pregame Stuff here.
    Check out more details from the FloridaGators.com Pregame Notes Here.
    UF Team Stats
    USCe Team Stats
    Follow Live Stats Here

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Hopefully we kick their arse the 2nd time around!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Another very well thought out write-up.

Thanks @harnettgator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    This would be another confidence building win for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    These next three games are critical. They are the three worst RPI opponents left in the regular season.

It'd be huge to win all three and get to the 10 SEC win mark. But my goal is to win two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    I really wanna see the Gators win this one!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    +1 - AWESOME write-up....thank you @harnettgator !

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Put 3 hours in at my current landscape project and now back home to relax and enjoy our game!

Kevaughn needs to push it like he's never pushed it before.....today and the rest of the season. He's been one of our weak links this season IMHO. But times like this when we are a little behind on where we need to be - time for the rubber to meet the road!

I thought Spidey did pretty good last week as well as Stone. We also need a solid game from 3gor. Not worried about the others. They always seem to show up.

Now for a little chicken salad before the tip! :)

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

I've seen pics of some of your work Bazza, It was excellent.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gene

gene Junior

Jul 26, 2012
    Another great job Hatnett Gator. Now if the Gators will play up to your level we will all be happy. Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. SportsPsychGator

SportsPsychGator VIP Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Go Gators!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Let's go Gators!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Look at all the empty seats. They need to flip the cameras ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Touche!

15. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Hayes gets his first block!

• Like Like x 1
  16. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Egor opens up the scoring with a trey

3-0

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Did I hallucinate this or did Jalen start in place of KeVaughn?

18. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    And LOVE the defensive energy they're showing early!

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Really good defensive energy so far

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    PHYSICAL game so far!