Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

UF flips 2021 3* OC Jake Slaughter from FSU

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Jul 24, 2020.

1. avgator2000

avgator2000 Junior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    Oline is one of those positions that’s really hard to rate a kid. They tend to rate athletic linemen that can dunk a basketball higher then a meat and potatoes type linemen. I wouldn’t get caught up in stars. Look at Wisconsin, their linemen are probably all 3 stars but boy can those guys run block. It’s alll about scheme and finding kids who fit what you want. I may be optimistic on this, but it’s not all about stars and more about fit.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I thought it gonna be Slapaho

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Check the video of Slaughter at the Rivals camp earlier this year and let me know what you think lol. Actually i post it and his junior film and let me know....

Go to the 1:15 mark

Here's his jr film

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Damn

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Watson is HUGE and that osu DL commit with the initials of TA (not even gonna try and spell his name) looks like a monster.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Mr. T is easy to spell

7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Tunmise. Man i wish/hope Kamar can lean on him and get him to be a Gator. He's like Fowler 2.0

8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Watson is a beast and quick in the middle. TA was strong around edge. Langston looked ineffective. Slaughter was not bad initially. Drill obviously favors D, but with two years of practice, technique and S&C he should be a good one. Need bright Centers to call blocking schemes up front. One of OT’s on left side did pretty well and had a nasty streak. Looked like a good Tackle prospect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Who is my favorite gator from the muschamp era lol. Was so stoked when he signed with Atlanta and reunited with Quinn

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Dude is soooo up and down as a player but you can NEVER question his motor. I hope Quinn can get the most out of him

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    OL is almost impossible to rate because what makes a good lineman is that they've seen everything and played against every type of attack and understand how to counter it while still following the play.

WRs, QBs, RBs, etc, they get highlight plays, yards, touchdowns, clips. You don't get highlight clips as an OL, unless it's a pancake block and even then, almost irrelevant. They're graded on their failures. Give up a sack, get called for holding, false start? They prove their worth by their consistency and they learn that through years of experience.

And what kinda damn years of experience does a 17 year old have playing against other kids, most of whom won't be impressing scouts on their own, nor have much of a chance getting a scholarship for college?

It's like trying to find the next Shakespeare in a 3rd grade English class. Those kids haven't read a book larger than a magazine and the only experience high school linemen get is learning the weight room schedule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Imo, His job kinda depends on it lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Sweet pickup! He reminds me of Tyler Jordan and Tyler was REALLY good here!

14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Fowler wasn’t bad in LA. Yes he’s been up and down but he’s had some good spots for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Well 20+ coaching staff's thought enough to offer and recruit the young man?

What's a camp video going to prove?
    How about the individual posting this drivel with the his/her fish bowl friends? (AR is now way to full of low hanging fruit like 15 and such)
    Somehow this person has become an insider? The same person who typed they get there information off the other sites for free and then comes over here to post it.
    I love the fish bowl friends who ask questions of this person on if a recruit is good enough to be a Gator.

You can't teach size and good feet for his size!!! His film shows good upside, and he's very intelligent. I see him picking up the play book pretty quick.

I'll again battle all you clowns who rip teenagers for following there dreams and trying to better themselves. Glad he's a Gator.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    This was my thought. You need a sharp guy at Center. Lots to read and call out.

17. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    But to be real in recruiting OC last year Bama took one rated slightly higher who was shorter, weighed less, less strong, less arm reach, etc. 4 and 5 star OC really don't grow on trees and is why some OL coaches like to train OG to snap and make calls as well. I like him as much as when we got Heggie if not more. If Slaughter stays healthy, he will likely have a better college career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Aaron Donald makes others shine. However, Atlanta has a really good dominant DT as well, hopefully he can recreate his LA play and not his Jax play

19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Next time just @ me

20. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I'm ok with this notion on the interior of the line, but don't underplay the value of athleticism. Look at last year's line, Bliech didn't have the athleticism to compete against low end SEC DLs, Buchanan was often overmatched with middling SEC teams, and none of them did well against the elite SEC competition. FWIW the wisconsin line that dominates Big 10 competition, struggled against OSU (with elite DLs) and likely would have struggled against Bama, and UGA.

At tackle, and particularly at LT, athleticism is key and cannot be taught.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1