Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Udonis Haslem's Final Game

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by swampspring, Apr 9, 2023.

1. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Scored 24 in his final game in 25 minutes. A fitting end to an incredible career. One of the foundations of the Gator Basketball Program and I'm glad he's getting the sendoff he deserves. 20 years in the NBA is no joke (I think only 3-4 players have ever done that), and yes, I get it, he didn't really play much the past 5-7 years, but the Heat found him valuable enough to keep resigning him so he was obviously a key part of their teams.

He really is a role model for many. A big time scorer in college with incredible toughness, didn't get drafted, went overseas, changed his entire body and was a significant part of two championship teams in Miami. And for all of his toughness and no-nonsense attitude, you can tell how much his teammates loved him:

Side Note: Kind of embarrassing that we did not have one thread about one of the OG's of the Gator basketball program under Donovan.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009

• Like Like x 3
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    An incredible career. UD entered UF same year I did.

Go Gators!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Me too. Wild.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    UD remade his body after leaving UF, becoming slimmer without losing his power. He knew what he needed to do to make it in the NBA in switching from center to forward. That's a guy who gets it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    What a career and success story! Props to you UD!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One of my all-time favorite Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  8. gator_glory

gator_glory Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Earlier this year went to a Heat game and literally sat in the seat closest to end of the Heat bench. The end of the bench is where UD hangs out and ‘coaches’ his team. Had a chance to say high, congratulate him on his career, chatted about his Wolfson days and thanked him for being a Gator. I was amazed at how engaging he was throughout he game and literally approached me to chat. One of my fav Gators of all time and a true professional.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to play noontime pickup games at Florida Gym. A former assistant coach taught one of the basketball courses on the main floor but let us play on one of the other courts. Something like McCracken? He used to sit high in Level 1 behind the second half Gator basket.

Anyway way back in the day the course after was Ballroom Dance and LOTS of athletes took it. I am sure that it was an easy A if you show up but it also taught footwork and grace and those are important skills for any athlete. I got to talk with UD several times before class and he was really pleasant. Not what I expected from somebody so fierce on the court.

Kind of like the dicotomy with JWill who I also talked with before Ballroom Dance and shot hopes with him before his class. He was so flamoyant on the court during games and kind of shy in person.

So maybe Draymond Green is really a sweetie?

Nah.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Jim McCatheran was the coach’s name . I haven’t thought about him in a while.He taught basketball classes at UF. He said to all the guys and prospective coaches “ boys ya can’t make chicken salad outta chicken shit”
    “Never think you are good enough to out coach talent”

11. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Every time you hear "Heat Culture" you can credit UD for that. He is the toughest of tough competitors.

As much as I enjoyed watching his final game, his final game last season still takes the cake.

24 points in 25 minutes is great, but getting ejected for going at Dwight Howard (and seeing UD's mother after the game saying how proud of him she was for it) still takes the cake.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Heat play Billy D in the play in game for the 8 seed.
    Be ironic if Billy ended Ud’s career.

13. lostgator

lostgator Junior

Aug 20, 2009
    I am getting older so my memory might be failing me, but for you long-time Gator basketball fans I have a question. Was there a game where Udonis Haslem was at the free throw line with no time on the clock and he had to make both to get the game to OT? I seem to remember that no one was in the lane. It was just him, all alone, and he had to make two to tie the game and he did. I believe the Gators went on to win.

Did that happen, or did I dream this, or was it some other Gator? I think it was Haslem. I would love to be filled in on the details if I am correct in my recollection.

14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    UD was one of a kind. The Heat would be smart to keep him tied to the organization. In many ways he IS the Heat organization. What an amazing career.

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    He is a UM fan except for basketball

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Butler 2000.
    4:45 on the video down a bit here. Millers game winner is here too.

Reliving That First Butler Game ... Nearly 19 Years Ago - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 3
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I am an Illinois alum. Three of my four siblings are Illinois alums. They all thought that the Illini would crush Florida in the second round given that they were really lucky to escape against a 12 seed.

But I knew better.

• Like Like x 1