Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Tyson Foods grappling with "unprecedented inflation" Updated with Sept. numbers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Aug 9, 2021.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you not grasp it depends on what is running thru the pipe and where it's at.....and just because there are pipes in spots doesnt make it automatically right

2. metalcoater

metalcoater GC Legend

May 30, 2007
    Yes, and it is the safest way.

3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marginally, at best. And how long for b the ROI? The infrastructure for shipping the oil already exists. The pipeline has costs to be built. Then when built, maintenance costs for the pipeline offsets any gain. In the end, the pipeline won't affect costs.

4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    9 pages, eh Tyson CEO, what does he know?

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Uh, no. That's the biggest issue.

6. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Yes I lived through it with 13% home mortgage rate on my first house. Sold it in the 80's had a larger home built for the kids on a quarter acre and my monthly mortgage payment was the same as the house I sold at 13%. More house, yard, lower interest rate. Of course my home is paid off now and I never took on an adjusted rate mortgage in 70's that were being sold left and right.

We both know interest rates will go up. That's a given. When interest rates go up the government will keep on borrowing at higher interest rates. What follows to cover that cost is yet to be determined.

7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    New inflation numbers out for August. Prices rose .3%. Many of the good that were driving inflation, like lumber and used cars, are now back to normal. Still over 5% inflation for the year, but when you consider the slight deflation we had last year, it looks like to be normalization versus a huge, inflationary run up like we saw in the 1970s. Prices also look to be normalizing in most sectors, as so far, there's nothing in Sept that shows the August inflation cool-down to be a one-off type month.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    .3% is 80% above the fed goal.

9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Consumer Prices Jump Again, Presenting a Dilemma for Washington

From the article:

"The Consumer Price Index climbed 5.4 percent in September from a year earlier, faster than its 5.3 percent increase through August and above economists’ forecasts. Monthly price gains also exceeded predictions, with the index rising 0.4 percent from August to September.

The figures raise the stakes for both the Federal Reserve and the White House, which are facing a longer period of rapid inflation they had expected and may soon come under pressure to act to ensure the price gains don’t become a permanent fixture."

Looks like they are coming around to the belief that this period of inflation is not "transitional".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This isn't likely going away soon. The increase in house prices will eventually work it's way through as an increase in imputed rents. In terms of actual rents, I've been looking for another apartment for my daughter and the market is really really tight and prices have gone up.

11. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but how can this be? people on this board swear prices are going down, unemployement is going down, sleepy joe is killing it,which ir right???

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    What’s causing it and what to do about it?

13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    More from the article:
    In a nod to how persistent the price increases are proving, the Social Security Administration said on Wednesday that benefits would increase 5.9 percent in 2022, the biggest boost in 40 years. The increase, known as a cost-of-living adjustment, is tied to rising inflation.

14. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but people swear there is no inflation, fake news i tell you, fake news, sleepy joe rules......

15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Who is saying there is no inflation? Any sources?

What I'm hearing is inflation was an inevitability given world wide labor shortages caused by the pandemic, leading to supply chain issues. The original hope was things to start to normalize by Christmas, but the reality is, it will take months longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    just look at some of the other topics on this board. i said prices were going up on everything and 1 poster posted a list of about 100 things he said were going down in price.things have been going up over the last year, gas is about to explode, yet sleepy joe can do no wrong in some people's view

17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Yes, .3/month = 3.7/ year and that’s before the .3 gets adjusted upward in a few weeks.

18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He did that because you said everything was going up, that poster gave you an extensive list of products that not only haven’t seen a spike of inflation, they actually had negative inflation (deflation). His list was even sorted for you. It appeared to be an entire list in sort order of things with inflation <0 and you laughably accused him of “cherrypicking”.

Obviously certain things have spiked, and that has caused the overall rate to run hot. I don’t think anyone would say there is ZERO inflation. The data is clear there is inflation ahead of fed target. However, there are certain categories where it’s likely temporary. Lumber was one that saw a ridiculous spike, before falling back down to a more normal equilibrium. Nat gas and coal have been spiking lately - esp in this recent quarter, possibly due to foreign markets, but it impacts us (and we have our own situation with driver shortages and port bottlenecks causing higher prices). Since this thread is about Tyson, Chicken prices have actually been pretty flat, I actually made a note of that last time I ordered. Pork bellies on the other hand…different (but similar) category, totally different inflation scenario.

19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Drove by Toyota of Orlando this morning. Pickins have been slim there for some time but this morning the lot was empty. Looked like there were 2-3 inside. I’ll drive by slower next time and get a better look.

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’ve seen several new car lots that have been near empty. They get shipments, but most cars are already sold so they effectively have nothing on the lot other than used cars.

Last I saw this chip shortage is knocking the new car sales pace from what would have been 15.5 million to 13.5 million. Visually, it looks much worse than that because the cars just aren’t there. I’m guessing that estimate keeps coming down.

Feel pretty lucky we jumped on a couple deals during the pandemic panic last year (1 was expiring lease that just happened to be coming due, could have kept it but got another great deal on a lease). With the tight supply, almost everything must be msrp right now.