Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Two Mikes—Anderson and White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, Dec 23, 2019.

1. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I dunno. He had some talented teams at Arky and they were pretty average. Pretty sure we saw he he'd fare in the SEC.

Saying he'd do better with this team isn't a ringing endorsement. The guy was mediocre at Arky. Not sure why the heavy defense for a guy who consistently failed in March. Why do we want a guy who failed regularly in March here?

2. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Pelphrey and Heath did terrible at Arky. Anderson did better. Congrats. He deserves credit for doing better than both of them.

And i'm sure that there are things CMW could do better this year. Running is one of them. I think in 8 years CMW would get as many tourney wins as Anderson did. But that's an interesting debate.

3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not suggesting that we hire Mike Anderson. We have been justifiably criticizing Mike White (IMO) for a few things that I pointed out in this thread. I recently watched the St. John’s games against Arizona and West Virginia. I feel very comfortable in saying that St. John’s would have lost those games if Mike White were coaching them. The St. John’s starting point guard (Rutherford) wouldn’t get on the floor for Florida nor would some of their reserves. Nevertheless, Anderson has them winning. Putting aside recruiting, I do think that Anderson is a better coach than White. However, that wasn’t the point. My point was to explain what White could be doing to win with his team.

• Like Like x 3
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It was literally the first sentence of your thread.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Is there a requirement that the first sentence of a post be the point? I’m going with the last sentence of my post, which said that Mike White could learn some lessons from Mike Anderson.

• Like Like x 1
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Journalistically- that is really burying the lead! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Is the lead always the point?

8. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm not doubting that there are things that CMW could be doing that Anderson is to help UF win. That is usually the case with a struggling team. I'm sure Arky fans the last few years sat around and said "Coach Anderson should do what Coach "Fill in the blank here" and we'd be better.

But after watching Arky play the past 8 seasons under Anderson, I never thought that guy really gets it. Maybe i'm being harsh. But he would beat UK. Then lose to Alabama. Then he would let KeVaughn drop 30 on him. Or try to press Kasey. Or get routed by average UF teams.

9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I have had only a single criticism of Mike White at Florida that I can think of - playing Hill over Cheese. Now that I have started criticizing him, I can’t stop. It’s like eating potato chips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    Lol, I think that decision was fine Hill's senior year. Hill was really good for us as a senior. Wasn't he 2nd team All-SEC and All-SEC defensive team?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I got 5 “come on mans” and 1 disagree for the post above, which I would say clearly establishes that my post was 100% on point.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    St. John’s win over West Virginia looks even better now that West Virginia upset The Ohio State University (#2 ranked team in the country) in Cleveland the other day. If St. John’s beats Butler this week, Mike Anderson will start looking like the coach of the year in the Big East. By the way, the Big East is brutal this year. Providence looks like the only below average team in the league, and they had a good win last week.

13. gohogs14

gohogs14 Freshman

May 7, 2011
    Musselman currently has the #5 class for 2020 with all Arkansas kids. Pelphrey signed a top 10 class too before he got fired. The big thing against Anderson was he kept losing in-state guys like Archie Goodwin, Malik Monk and Kevaughn Allen to other SEC teams.

I don’t think Anderson is a bad coach but I don’t think he’s great either. Many would be surprised to know that Arkansas was top 3 in the SEC in regular season conference wins his last 5 years. But he could never do anything in the tournament and after 8 years it had just gotten a little stale. Sometimes change can be a win-win for both the school and coach. He’s so stubborn with his style that he’ll have surprisingly big wins against teams he matches up well with but then lose questionable games when he doesn’t change what he’s doing when other teams adjust. He typically never fields truly awful teams but his teams also seem to not have a very high ceiling either. I’m grateful that he improved the program from the depths of where it was under Heath and especially Pelphrey. He had some good moments.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Solid analysis.

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Xavier is gonna beat St. John’s.
    We beat Xavier, thus...

Mike White > Travis Steele > Mike Anderson

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    St. John's was getting smoked at home by Butler. Went on crazy a 25-4 run to take the lead and lost on a late 3. Butler went on a 7-0 run to end the game.

Butler made a 3 with 44 seconds left to get a 2 point lead. St Johns with 8 seconds left down 2 had a guard dribbling towards half court (the wrong way), he turned around dribbled in the lane, lost the ball, a teammate fired up an off-balanced 30 footer and that was the final shot of the game.

Did I mention all of that happened while St. John's had a TO remaining. Bad coaching on that final sequence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    St. John's lost to Xavier by 3. Were up by 1 with 30 seconds left. Let Xavier score. Down by 1 out of a TO, St. John's attempted a floater from 15 feet away with 10 seconds left on the clock.

St. John's is now 14-12 on the year. Just a quick Mike Anderson update.

• Like Like x 1
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

And, Providence is over .500 (7-6) in the Big East after beating #10 Seton Hall on Saturday, their 3rd win over a Top 25-ranked Big East team this season. We smoked Providence like they were a JV team.

• Like Like x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    .... the Anderson we all know and love.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Eric Mussleman is a good coach, this is who we should be comparing to CMW. We are at home, we have the advantage, let’s keep this and soldier through. This team at Florida can show they have grown in maturity or they are Immature and can’t handle success. I would hope they are locked in!
    No Billy D, no sold out crowd, this is where you earn your accolades!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020