Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter (Updates)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Feb 12, 2019.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Does wrestling help with diagnosing plays? With understanding the playbook? With covering WRs? With angles? I love the athleticism, the dedication, the mental toughness of a great wrestler. But he's a safety?

2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, he does play some football, so we do know what he can do on the gridiron and don't have to worry about how wrestling adds to plyabook/coverage/angles/etc. There is no doubt that football and wrestling go hand in hand for how you want your body shaped for optimal performance in each sport. I don't think anybody stating in this forum that wrestling is a positive is saying that the sports are synonymous and success in one means success in the other. If I could choose a teammate in football who either also did wrestling or table tennis, I would obviously choose the wrestler. If I had to choose a teammate that was a basketball player or a wrestler, it would depend on the position. If it was CB, I might go for the basketball player. S or LB, I would probably go with the wrestler if similar in speed. Wrestling is a whole body workout, but really helps with neck, traps, back, abs like very few other sports can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Dusty Rhodes elbow

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. swamp_made

swamp_made Junior

Apr 17, 2020

Big time get if we can land him. 6-6 320 ish. We need the depth. How are we looking on the recruiting side at OL?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    I was a little abrasive in my first post, I apologize. I love the wrestling background. I just would like to see us land higher rated guys. And at safety, I think coverage is most important. Thats not McMillions strength, is it?

6. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    If we could hold our own in state against the barbarians invading our state: Georgia, Bama, Clemson, LSU, there are positions that should be loaded every year: RB, APB, S, CB, WR. Normally I would say there is no reason to go out of state except for the top 5 at the position. That being said I like him as a really physical safety, who can cover ground. Yes, everybody has to be sound in coverage and tackling with how much spread offense is being played now.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I was assuming we were only looking for one more OL.

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And hips which may be important in coverage.

9. ufgatordad

ufgatordad Premium Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Don’t have the warm and fuzzies about this. Word is UM has overtaken us, and seeing as he has a top 2, worried this could mean a commitment to them.

10. ufgatordad

ufgatordad Premium Member

Oct 29, 2009

11. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    He’ll commit to us then put out a top 5 next July.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    He’s not coming here. His twitter is all Miami.

The recruiting has been poor for 2021 thus far and there is no way you can convince me otherwise.

We will likely end up losing Smith, Taylor, Marshall, Langston and maybe Sapp. All blue chip players.

I’m not even sure it’s possible to beat last years class in talent for 2021 at this point. A .925 is our highest sure commit?

Im not saying things can’t change but right now its kinda garbage and I’m annoyed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

14. okcgator

okcgator All American

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    The highlights I saw didn’t show a lot of ball skills or coverage. It did show playing fast, aggressive, coming down with good angles, and making strong tackles. He also appears to be a solid blitzer. I’m not looking at him as a safety as much as an athlete that could grow into a LB/Rover. I don’t think we are done at Safety if he commits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Unless UM is getting trolled moving up the date is not good for UF. Covid 19 making some players want to stay closer to home and that has to the only reason to choose to play at a dumpster fire of a program like Miami and a conference like the ACC in front of small crowds and no energy.

16. okcgator

okcgator All American

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    It feels less and less likely that this will actually be a top 10 class. I like a lot of the guys we are bringing on but none of them are splash guys. They are all fringe 4* guys around .8800. Not saying they won’t get bumps but the likelihood of them breaking into the .9000 range with no Sr/reduced Sr seasons is low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    You’re not alone were going after low tier guys this whole class.

He can’t play free safety he’d be a strong safety/LB which for college likely means he’s a LB.

I mean maybe he’ll pan out but even his tape makes him look like a project type player.

Arnold would be a great get to solidify the coverage safety spot.

18. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    i could see this - and it drives me crazy. We got guys like Burney, reese, Dean...all great athletes but no position. Scares me for guys like hopper, black, wingo, diabate, etc. We gotta find a way for these guys to make a positive impact.

19. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Coaching isn't just about the X's and O's, I believe there is an on-going thread about personnel decisions of the past going back to SOS, in as far as recruiting is concerned......its just another element of the sport. I think this kid perhaps has a skill level that reminds me of Todd Johnson? He was a pretty good safety at UF, that was able to have a career at the next level as well?

20. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    There is no issue with guys not having a position. There is competition among players for limited playing time, injuries, growth and development in young men's bodies, but there isnt a problem with position.

Despite everybody in the country wanting these guys, some of them will be situational as they grow and develop (and vital in those positions as well). Grantham wants flexibility in positions because of up tempo play in offenses we face, and he wants guys who can blitz from any position. Robinson has gone out and gotten these "athletes" in spades. We just need to sit back and watch these guys perform over the next couple of years. All of them will be on the field and multiple of these similar looking players will be on the field at the same time, especially against spread offenses.

• Agree Agree x 1