Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter (Updates)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Feb 12, 2019.

1. KSAGator

KSAGator Senior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    first, we generally are not in the running with top recruits anyway—ie, it doesn’t get down to Georgia and Florida or Bama and Florida for the top recruits—so there is a further fact to consider (if Mullen’s only problem is his “honesty”, then why do some of the “dishonest” coaches do better than other dishonest coaches. Second, there is no baseline evidence that recruits think Mullen is telling it to them straight—or that they would have come to Florida except that he refused to promise them playing time. Give me those quotes from recruits. This is the same old nonsense: it can’t be that our coach can’t recruit; it must be (fill in the blank - dishonest recruiting, bags of money, etc.)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. KSAGator

KSAGator Senior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Interesting question, to which I’ll offer my best guess. There is a reason why Foley didn’t want him anywhere near the program. There is also a reason—perhaps the same reason—that someone with his level of success at MSU (and apparent desire to get out ASAP) was not hired by any other program over a decade. He may just rub people the wrong way, or give the impression that he thinks it is all about him. Frankly, watching his press conferences and following the way that his agent suggests he is dying to get out of Gainesville, I feel the same way. It may be that recruits feel that way too. Do I know that is the case? No, but I find it more credible than it being that recruits view him as being too honest.

Now, this board is called “Awesome Recruiting”. This is not a thread about whether Mullen is the right coach for UF, or whether he does a good job overall—there doesn’t have to be a larger meaning to a narrow discussion like this. I’m excited to see what we will do this season on the field.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    i hear and what you said is the way i felt he approached this year too as the season on. He def seemed to come off like a coach that was going to ride the success of the offense and the season we were set up to have pre LSU off to the NFL & that didn’t happen. Hell to my knowledge, i haven’t seen/heard him “reaffirm” his desire to remain at UF for the foreseeable future even if it is coach speak. I actually was debating on making a thread on if we as a fanbase feel that Mullen will or will not be our coach come 2025 cuz i told my bro in law that I would be shocked if he did last to 2026. He wants the NFL but they dont want him

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    The only thing I would take exception to is that notice that we recruit much better at positions where freshmen can contribute quicker, such as rush end and cb. That suggests that promised or apparent playing time helps us with better recruits out of high school. In a way that suggests our coaches are not good salesmen or relationship builders except for Robinson and Brewster, who may be the only ones to be able to pull a big recruit each year regardless of any disadvantage we may have to get that recruit.

5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    one thing i hope happens is we continue to have 7+ players a year drafted to the NFL now that Mullen has a roster of his players. That can help “sell” recruits because the NFL draft obviously is another selling point for OSU & Bama. As of now we should have

copeland
    Gouriage
    Shelton (Valentino)
    Elam
    Miller
    Cox
    Carter

and with good season Dean could be drafted as well. That’s 8 again

• Like Like x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017

7. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Hevesy reels in another one...oops!

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    We are getting an ole fashioned butt whipping in recruiting...these June visits better change things or we are in deep trouble.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Wiltfong put in a crystal ball to us for Isaiah Bond

“After talking to a couple sources with knowledge of the recruitment I've flipped my prediction from Miami to Florida for Buford (Ga.) High standout Isaiah Bond.

One of the fastest players in the class, Bond plans to also run track in college. He is the nation's No. 14 athlete and No. 237 prospect overall per the Top247.

Alabama and Texas are a couple other contenders for Bond who helped Buford win a state championship as a junior.

Wiltfong put it in with a "7" confidence level...”

• Like Like x 1
  10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Too too just committed to bamar

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Agree on all of those. This is Dean's $ year. He will likely get more snaps as a # 1 than he would have gotten under English. Let's hope Copeland develops like Toney did and EJ can get him the ball because he has the talent of a breakout star if he can put it together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This should surprise nobody and it's not on Mullen. Alabama had Henry locked up in high school too until Tennessee dropped the McDonald's To'o To'o go bags.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    If anyone watched FSU's offensive line play the last 4 years they woulld know IMMEDIATE playing time is available...hell after last year I bet every position on that team is listed as IMMEDIATE playing time. Quite a selling point to recruits to say weve got nothing at your position so youll start day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’d like to believe it Bobby but I won’t until I see it. If Bama becomes a player we are in trouble. Kid is a receiver and not just a track guy. Would be a huge pick up. Any idea when committing?

• Like Like x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    No idea about a commitment and Bama is a player but I think they're slow playing him tbh. This was from like 2 weeks ago:

"Scheduled an OV to Bama for June 18

Georgia athlete Isaiah Bond tells BamaOnLine he's scheduled to officially visit Tuscaloosa on June 18. The Buford standout earned an offer from the Crimson Tide, along with a number of others, earlier this spring.

A starstruck moment to be able to receive an offer like that,” Bond told BamaOnLine. “These things don’t come around often. Also shared the moment with my teammate, Jake Pope, he also has an offer, so we talked over it a couple times when I got it. It’s a great overall feeling.”

The Tide is now among Bond's top five, along with Georgia, Miami, Pittsburgh, and Wisconsin."

16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Let’s hope Copeland has become very familiar with mr jugs machine

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    shocking!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Surpriiiise, surpriiiiise, surpriiiise!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    this how it goes down

• Winner Winner x 4