Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter (Updates)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Feb 12, 2019.

1. polkgator

polkgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He needs to win like Spurrier, so far there is an East an that is it. I like that attitude though.

2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Some articles that have shown OL recruit reactions to Hevesy, including recruits that have signed with us, have at least inferred, if not out right said, that Hevesy will not promise any playing time and that playing usually will not be as a freshman and will point out their areas that they need a lot of work at and will point out what their body transformation has to be before they play. Most of that may not sound earth shattering, but a lot of kids who have been taught by recruiters that their **** don't stink don't like to hear that and want to be told they will be the best freshman ever to start every game. No surprises that Mullen talks the same way with his QB recruits. So the way Hev operates is probably fine by Mullen.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    SOS didn’t have to deal with Bama being this rediculous recruiting mess. He just had to deal with FSU last game of the year. Hopefully Mullen with get it worked out. He seems to always have a good AB which is really the common denominator with championships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If he gets results, honesty may be best in the long run. Kirby may get bit in the ass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KSAGator

KSAGator Senior

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    But he doesn’t get results - our lines have not been good and are not getting better. And this idea that Mullen doesn’t land recruits because he is more honest is just downright silly.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. stabnburn

stabnburn Sophomore

Sep 12, 2017
    Yeah, multiple recruits (at multiple positions) every cycle say the staff doesn't sugar-coat things and just say what players want to hear. Some recruits like that and sign, others don't. It sucks from a star-gazing perspective, but that's just how the staff is. They need to prove they can get big-time results with fewer big-time recruits, though, cause the main UF rivals are getting significantly more of those big-time recruits.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t see it that way. We will see what this line does this year. Way too small a sample size to be so pessimistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kirby steady losing to the portal and we are steady gaining from it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. polkgator

polkgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree about Saban. He may have taken a backseat to SOS though. You never know. Saban could have has a hiccup or 2 against FSU as well if he had to play them yearly. I wonder if Saban could have won an ACC with Duke with the roster SOS had at Duke. Saban has built a dynasty no doubt, but he is a recruiting machine. Saban really never won big at Michigan State. We never had a stacked roster there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I suspect big bags has something to do with that. Recruiting has never been so top-heavy as the last decade and this just doesn’t add up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. polkgator

polkgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Saban was fair at Mich St, but far from elite. My take is he needs the 5 stars to roll. I agree with you about the bags helping him out on the trail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think Saban is on the same level with x’s and O’s but his talent level is far superior to anything in the history of college football. If he didn’t win every other year with that talent, I’d consider him a complete failure. He basically has an all star team playing the leftovers.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep and i believe that is what ultimately did Spurrier in towards the end of his USCe run. Recruiting changed and that attitude towards recruits wasn’t “in style” anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Maybe or possibly just didn’t have the fire anymore. It’s not like you can consistently be at the top with the classes he could get at usce.
    He took that job I’m sure without expectations of being in the hunt every year. If he wanted to do so, he could have taken a premier job instead of a relaxing one.

15. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    The difference being, SOS would go find another top rated kid.

16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Come to think of it, that’s how I operate in real life. I tell my guys exactly how it is. No sugar coating. However, this is CFB. Nowadays, kids like instant gratification. He may have to kta and tell a little white lie to get them to sign with him.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hopefully CDM/Hev's straight shooter style gets a bit of an efficacy boost once they start running the offense they want to run.

It would be optimal if they were world-class salesmen on the 'crootin trail, but they have also been hamstrung a bit running an ad hoc offense lacking the key cog they are accustomed to.

18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    and while im at it, i think the run first rpo we use turns ELITE QB’s off from Mullen. These kids not trying to run QB dives 10 times a game and would rather put it in the air 30+ times a game.

also the straight shooter approach IMO doesn’t work with many elite kids on the trail anymore but as we see, it def works on the trail when it comes to the portal. Kids hear the truth who’ve already been on campus someplace else and realize all of what they were told while being recruited in HS was horseshyt. That’s why I know Florida and Miami have become the hotspot for former 5 and 4 star kids. Diaz is a straight shooter too but he has the added benefit of having that Miami talent in his back pocket

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    why and how is it silly? Are there recruits signing with other schools saying this?

20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    so why do you think Mullen struggles to land elite players out of HS? It’s been well documented that he doesn’t negative recruit against other schools and plenty of recruits have stated that Mullen “keeps it real” and “doesn’t guarantee” playing time and things along that nature. Out of Mullen’s mouth himself

• Winner Winner x 1