Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter (Updates)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bvgator789, Feb 12, 2019.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Isn't Cam the only one who started consistently? But Jonah is another freak who could start as a freshman. Like unicorns.

2. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Dexter was a liability. That is why we took 2 transfers at DT for next year.. that is no coincidence. I love 5 stars of all types, not just high schoolers. They just aren't all plug and play. I completely believe that Mullen chose to take Johnson who was a 3 star, who played as a freshman because he was one of the best db in FL if not the best. Alabama takes 3 stars also. Recruiting is not just targeting 5 stars from a list. Nobody gets all 5 stars.

3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    We took 2 transfer DTs because our roster was bare. I doubt it had anything to do with Dexter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Should be great for mentor ship and relaying experience....not nothing to do with Dexter but certainly not because he’s a liability or anything

5. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    Very true that the cupboard was bare. Some very bad recruiting in '18 and '19 led to relying on Lee and Dexter to be starters if no transfers came in. Dexter was not ready last year. If he and Lee was fully ready, we likely only needed one of the transfers.

6. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    DT (but really anywhere) is a spot where having multiple guys is more than likely a need. Going into the season with 2 true sophs and a transfer would have likely led to disaster at some point, especially considering both sophs are still pretty inexperienced.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Are you assuming the COVID rule will be there every year? That’s why bowman, Cox and Lingard have an extra year. If Cox and Lingard have good years, they will both head to the nfl and you’ll have gotten 1 good year out of them. I wouldn’t call cox 3 sack year this year a good year. Dexter and Marshall were high school recruits and were good gets. Bowman may play one or two years and be gone. You’ll never convince me making a living with transfers is a substitute for good recruiting. It just won’t work in the long run in football. And btw, @bobbybaker86 and I pointed out four Alabama offensive lineman who were freshman starters.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  8. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    How many Alabama OTs would you like us to name?

9. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    speaking of Bama and freshmen OL, they got two 5* incoming offensive tackles, a 4* top 50 player at OG, and the top C. I bet you any amount of money one of those 4 will end up being a huge contributor if not a starter by the midway point this upcoming season. Probably by the time they play us.

and like I’ve mentioned, that’s where we lack in recruiting, getting high impact OL. Granted Hev does a great job in developing the ones that he brings in because in about 2-3 years, he’ll have placed 3 of our projected 2021 OL starters in the NFL (RG, Braun, and White) but man I just imagine what he could do if he were able to land a few high end 5-4 star OL.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    This is an honest question because I really don't know anything about him. Is he a lazy recruiter, or just no personality at all.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UF got multiple years as starters for Townsend, Delance ,Shuler, Jefferson, Grimes...and Reese and Cox will join that list this year. I think most were happy with the one year Greenard gave us, and I don't know anyone unhappy that the 2 DT's along with Lingard and Bowman are on the roster. The simple fact is, transfers are a crucial component to building your roster in todays environment....for everyone.
    You have to be smart about it, get contributors and sometimes with multiple years eligibility. UF has been very very good in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    yea and not having a true cycle in recruiting hurt us in getting DT’s out of high school this past cycle so even if we have only one year out of those two, we gotta live with that. On top of that, getting them saved us from being in a DIRE situation with rolling out basically freshmen and sophomores at DT. Now we can afford to ease the young DT’s along and have them ready in 2022. Getting Humphries and Goods to stick around was a “recruiting win” in itself

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    No, I am not at all assuming there will be more COVID rule extra eligibility years. I know better. But, you are 100 percent incorrect in your statememts about Bowman, Cox, and Lingard. Bowman played one redshirt season at Clemson, so, he is eligible for four years at Florida. Has nothing to do with the COVID rule, which I don't even think applies to anyone except last year's seniors. Lingard played 2018 at Miami, and did not record any stats in 2019 due to injury, so, he must have redshirted, too. That means he has 2020/21/22 available to play for us. Cox played one year for Georgia in 2018, then sat out 2019 due to NCAA transfer rules, making him available to us in 2020/21/22.

No one here is stating that transfers are the better option, but, it's well-documented here that we have done very well with them over the last three years, and, not taking advantage of them when the situation is right would be dumb. LSU won a national championship because of a transfer. It's another option that is available to any team, and, in the right circumstance, can improve a team.

Your point about players heading to the NFL applies to both transfers and high school recruits. You can pretty much assume that 5*'s will not play four years in their college careers, regardless of how they came to your team, so, it's a hollow argument.

Whether any 5* will live up to his billing is immaterial to the discussion. Both HS recruits and transfers can turn out to be overated busts, and, often are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. devincdoss

devincdoss Junior

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    FSU

Jk, idk

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    He’s like Mullen, a straight shooter and that don’t go over well with HS kids as we know the high end ones like ass kissers. From the little I’ve heard, he is a “ill take who want in and make it work” kind of guy so i guess while that isn’t lazy, it def gives off that perception considering who he’s brought in since he’s been here

17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Well then, he needs to change that perception of him. CDM needs to get on him to try to get at least one of the top rated OL/yr. That is not asking too much. I'm old school. You couldn’t ask me to change my ways now even if you hold a g_n to my head, but I'm not a coach at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hush yo mouth Bobby

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kinda like SOS, if a kid didn’t want in , so long. We will win without em.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1