Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter crowdsourced the identity of a viral racist in mere hours

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, May 16, 2018.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    "this is America" you know the place where any ole asshole can stroll into a private bidness & tell how to run it. He's American by technicality only.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Ruin all the racists' and white supremacists' lives. If they don't like that, they can choose to stop being pieces of garbage. We don't have to learn to live with them. They should be shamed and ostracized until they change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Idiot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I would think as a lawyer you wouldn't be a fan of mob justice as it rarely turns out well. The whole debate over the ethics of doxxing and even nazis has been beat to death, so I am not going to rehash it here. This guy has a pretty good summary of why it's bad. While this guy may deserve some karma, the question is whether whatever might happen to him is proportional to what he did? Maybe he gets fired and that's pretty bad, but what about when people decide to do stuff like ruin his credit or maybe even seek him out to attack him? You also have a lack of selectivity in targets if doxxing is generally accepted. The crazy lady who went after the barbecuers was accused of having racial motivations, so what if she gets doxxed and has her life ruined. She seemed mentally unbalanced to me, so is that an equitable response? Then besides maybe missing the whole context of what was said because videos are edited to make them seem worse, you have cases where the internet mob gets the wrong guy. So yeah, generally I think it's a bad practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree vigilante "justice" is not a good thing. Whether in person or via social media.

OTOH, exposing this guy's behavior to his employers and associates, some of whom are likely hispanic, is a good thing as it helps them make informed decisions on their relationships with him.

He is a bigoted asshole and should be treated as such.

6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Turns out he is, but what if he wasn't? What if he was just having a bad day and said things he really didn't mean? Or what if he was mentally unbalanced or whatever. Internet videos lack context and internet mobs tend to dole out punishment disproportionate to the crime. Even if his employer knew better, they would likely be forced to part ways with him because of the publicity. He would find it hard to get another job because a simple google search would disqualify him.

If you think back in your life, you can probably remember times when you have said stuff that's impolitic in private during a fight or while drunk or whatever. With the prevalence of smartphones these days, pretty much anything can be videoed and end up on the internet and has the potential to significantly impact your life. Then think that there are lots of people out there that are more subject to rash statements than the average person. Do they all deserve to have their life ruined? I am not defending this guy in particular, but against the practice in general. Gatorlawyer's rallying cry to go after all racists will likely have some bad and unintended consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Why are you saying that vigilante justice is not a good thing, when you just agreed with a post that said racists deserve to have their lives ruined? Coupling that with previous comments by you stating your belief that the U.S. is a racist society, does that mean you believe most Americans deserve to have their lives ruined? Or about what percentage of Americans deserve to have their lives ruined, in your estimation?

8. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    If you're being consistent you can't "agree" with this...

...and then say this:

9. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I don't know. I mean, they're not sending us their best.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Mob justice can be frightening. It often gets much wrong, leaving out important context that make it unfair for the targeted person/organization. Or the mob flat out gets it wrong. Yet, I can't help but feel a slight bit of schadenfreude when entitled jackwads like Schlossberg get exposed. Even if he was having a bad day or whatever, I am reminded by my friends on the right about their love affair with "personal responsibility." No one made him act this way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I am all for exposing racists and letting their employers and associates deal with them as they will. If racism is so rare these days as you claim, those folks will in fact be ruined by that exposure, and I have no problem with that.

I am against mob justice, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

In that regard though, we all have vices and prejudices that we fight. ALL of us.
    I am not a fan of ruining folks for stuff like this because who draws the line? Are all Christians worthy of having lives ruined for believing in traditional marriage? Should every person on the left be ruined for "discriminating" against said Christian.

I think this guy dug his own grave and that is fine. But under your idea, we likely would start ruining folks for disagreeing with us.

Who makes the rules in other words?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Ahhhh, I see what you did there! :ninja: Clever juxtaposition of the German expression with the Jewish name.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    I don't see how you can reconcile those two statements. What you described in the first sentence, which you said you're "all for," is a form of mob justice, which you then say you're against.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    People who are racist, in that they believe in the superiority of one race over another, believe what they believe. Others may not like their beliefs, but regardless of how they came to believe those things, at some point it becomes an immutable part of their personality. Right or wrong, people can't just snap their fingers and change what they believe.

So when you look at it that way, it is really very bigoted for someone to suggest that people deserve to have their "lives ruined" over an inherent personality trait that other people -- or even most people -- regard as a character flaw.

What such suggestions are really about is just people pointing fingers at others to make themselves feel better about their own character flaws, whatever they may be.

16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    So out of your entire circle of friends and family, can you say that none of them have ever said something impolitic that didn't represent who they were as a person? Do you think that it's reasonable that that single statement if publicized might leave them living in a tent outside of Fastsix's house and begging for spare change? Doxxing does get the right guy, but it often gets the wrong one too. People are complex though and we can't be summed up by statements made in a single 30 second video. So in general I don't feel any better about the people that doxxed that guy than I do about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    k.
    Ahh, I see what you did there. Justifying racism., ;)

18. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody says that kind of crap without meaning it.

I drink regularly and nothing like that comes out, because its not part of who I am. I do agree that videos can lack context, and internet "mobs" are no answer to justice (as mentioned in prior posts).

And I will own something in my past on that topic. A few decades ago I was as homophobic/bigoted against gays as most people ever were. I didn't like guys looking at me (the way straight guys look at girls), and there were a pair in the place my girl friend worked that used to do that, and really pissed me off. I didn't like "fairies" or "queens". One time a pair came "prancing" across a parking lot towards a bar me and my buddies were hanging out at, and one of my buddies says "hey - they're letting fags in here, you're not going to let them do that are you?" I popped up and headed for these two guys, who started screaming and ran into the kitchen in the back of the bar crying for help. Bar manager calls the cops, who laugh about it, and tell these two guys they have until the end of the parking lot and then they're letting me loose. Those guys did run, with the cops and everybody else there laughing about it.

Funny story for all the people who hate gays out there, but it's really one of the moments in my life I regret most. They might have earned a few comments on their flamboyancy, but not to be scared half to death. If someone wants to ostracize me for that, they're right. All I can do is apologize and let them know I've changed.

If this guy has any decency, he'll do likewise.

The most likely case with him is rather than this just being a bad day, he has been hiding this bigoted aspect of himself around work associates, women he tries to pick up and other casual acquaintances. Now they know. Whether he maintains his bigotry and nastiness or takes this as an opportunity to learn and grow is on him. He could even go back and apologize to the people there, and own his behavior.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Did you only read my last sentence?

20. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Exposing racists (or thieves or liars or frauds, etc) is not mob justice.

Harassing them on the internet, at work, etc and calling for them being fired or hurt in any way is mob justice.

• Winner Winner x 1