Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Twitter crowdsourced the identity of a viral racist in mere hours

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, May 16, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    When are people going to learn that if you lose it in public in 2018, it's going to be on the Internet 5 minutes later, and if you lose it for the wrong reason or at least a vile reason, it's going to end up being a digital albatross. Of course, by next week most people will have forgotten it ever happened, but it'll always be online anytime someone googles his name.

Twitter crowdsourced the identity of a viral racist in mere hours

It was a real #HasJustineLanded-type situation online this morning, as Twitterers waited to find out the identity of a man captured on camera behaving terribly. They did not have to wait very long.

First came the video. A white man suffering from a terminal case of Economic Anxiety is seen ranting to the manager of a Fresh Kitchen in Manhattan about an employee speaking Spanish to a customer. This man, belligerent from years of imagined oppression, threatens to call immigration authorities on the employee and eventually makes a comment about her physical appearance for good measure.

“My guess is they’re not documented, so my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country,” he says, in exactly the tone of voice one would guess. “They have the balls to come here and live off of my money? I pay for their welfare, I pay for their ability to be here. The least they could do, the least they could do is speak English.”

NSFW - a few bad words shouted in anger

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    So were they undocumented or not?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Would it make his bigotry and/or racism more acceptable if he had some way of knowing one way or the other?

I hear people speaking different languages around here almost every time I go out in public, never thought to yell at them for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 GC Hall of Fame

Why is this guy news?

• Winner Winner x 4
  5. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Confirming the digital Panopticon?

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I doubt Lester Holt will be mentioning him this evening, but the Internet still has plenty of room for a few mentions.

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    EXACTLY!

8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    In addition to a language Czar who tells when, where & what language we can speak, we should also have a news Czar to tell us what is & what is not news.

Freedom & markets are just getting in our way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Assuming everyone speaking a foreign language is here illegally (as this guy did) is not an acceptable way to treat anyone. And this is coming from someone (me) who has no issue deporting those that ARE here illegally.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Nor would I.

11. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys got to lighten up, I was joking

• Like Like x 2
  12. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    We all know the internet is only intended for jokes and sarcasm to pass unnoticed

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Who says that's true?

• Like Like x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'm all about some shaming. Either internet based or real-life.

15. JohnC1908

I chuckled.
    I find it bizarre an individual is an asshole, it goes viral and then it’s portrayed as a microcosm. You could play this game until the end of time I suppose.

16. JohnC1908

That’s a slippery slope. I’m no fan of internet mobs.

17. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    It's news because this lawyer, Aaron M. Schlossberg, Esq., made some ethnically and/or racially insensitive remarks in a public place. That is newsworthy because our mostly non-racist society has evolved past the point of such things being commonplace anymore. If this type of thing went on every day then it wouldn't be any big deal. There would be no significance to the story and no reason for the OP to start a thread about it.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I find internet mobs to be different than cackling at someone who deserves a public shaming. Maybe I'm mistaken

19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    The Internet doesn't care what you're a fan of, or what I'm a fan of, or what anybody is a fan of. The Internet has room for everything and anything, so it doesn't have to take our personal likes and opinions into consideration. It just puts it all out there and you and I can choose what we do or don't look at.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The Story here isn't that this guy was being an asshole, they are a dime a dozen many post here on TH, me included:D.

It's the fact that it only took 4 hours to out him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1